Baltimore bridge collapses after ship strike

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
Because our government rarely improves anything.
Then it's time the American people, and not some well-known foreign entities, regained full control of our wayward government.

We can start the patriotic ball rolling by eliminating duel citizenship.

JackBull

Buckeye

DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION: The Maryland Transportation Authority (MdTA), which took over jurisdiction of the state's toll roads and water crossings in 1971, commissioned J.E. Greiner, a leading Baltimore-based engineering design firm (and now part of the URS Corporation), to oversee construction of the bridge. A conventional suspension design was considered for the crossing, but the idea was abandoned over concerns about the cost and size of the anchorages.

Engineers finally decided upon a continuous steel truss design that had a 1,200-foot-long main span (between piers) - which at the time was to be longest continuous-truss span in the United States - and two 722-foot-long side spans. Borrowing from the design of many steel arch spans, the main truss span is suspended by steel cables. On both sides of the three-span truss bridge were three 300-foot-long girder spans to the west and six girder spans of identical length to the east; these spans were hoisted onto the bridge in their entirety to reduce construction costs. A series of shorter spans built on fill (causeway) connected the bridge to the mainland. The bridge was built to accommodate four 12-foot-wide vehicular lanes, but there are no shoulders. A four-foot-wide concrete ("Jersey") barrier separates opposing traffic flows.

Construction was plagued by faulty concrete work on the main piers of the bridge, as well as by the death of a construction worker when a shaft of steel rods collapsed. The bridge was opened to traffic on March 23, 1977 at a cost of $60 million, about 15 months behind schedule and $10 million over budget. Including the nearly 11 miles of approaches, the cost of the Outer Crossing project was $136 million. Completion of the span brought the 26-year-old Baltimore Beltway project to its conclusion.

JackBull

Buckeye
Then it's time the American people, and not some well-known foreign entities, regained full control of our wayward government.

We can start the patriotic ball rolling by eliminating duel citizenship.
Our politicians are the problem, not foreign entities. And who elects these politicians, the media, unions and special interests.

JackBull

Buckeye
I don't think the photos are allowing you to understand the size of the steel used in a bridge. Those flimsy looking steel
toothpicks are massive hunks of steel. Maybe at some point in the salvage there will be photos with a man in it next
to a cross section of some of the steel.
I doubt the designers way back when decided that the columns needed to withstand basically a direct hit from an
unknown sized cargo ship of the future.
The 70's isnt "way back" to many of us. It was a cheaper design pure and simple.

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
Why are you afraid to say? Seriously, have the guts to stand behind your statements.
Well, I obviously touched a nerve. But I refuse to be baited with insults to post what would immediately cause me to be banned from this site. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Zonker5

Bearcat
My wife was watching either BBC news or some other countrie's news just now and they said almost all the people who died from the bridge collapse were either from Mexico or Costa Rica....
I am waiting to see how long it will be until someone plays the race card.....

Paul B

Hunter
I saw something on Facebook last night that said that ship has experiences several electrical failures 48 hours prior to the time she sailed. Apparently the entire electrical system of that ship was in poor condition.

Yeah, I know it's facebook, but, if there is any credence to what was posted there is no way in hell that ship should have left port. If the posted comment is true, then I guess the ultimate responsibility lies with the master of the vessel who decides to hoist anchor and go anyway.

I wonder if we'll ever find out the real story on just what went wrong.
Paul B.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
They already have.

Well... it IS Joy Reid, on MSNBC no less. One of the most communist-leaning mediums in existence. She DOES have a point with people saying it was because of DEI. That statement seems a little premature. I read/heard somewhere the port pilot was of Ukrainian descent, trying to say it might have been in retaliation for the recent holdups in more money laundering to that country. And the race-baiting that if the mayor was a DEI hire, he should have been white (because apparently most of the population of Balt. is black). That's BS; she's race-baiting as bad as any of the "right wing conspiracy theorists" she talks so derisivelly about.
She's just following the same marxist/communist scripts that all the MSM is following.

I saw something on Facebook last night that said that ship has experiences several electrical failures 48 hours prior to the time she sailed. Apparently the entire electrical system of that ship was in poor condition.

Yeah, I know it's facebook, but, if there is any credence to what was posted there is no way in hell that ship should have left port. If the posted comment is true, then I guess the ultimate responsibility lies with the master of the vessel who decides to hoist anchor and go anyway.

I wonder if we'll ever find out the real story on just what went wrong.
Paul B.
I read about that on dailymail.uk. Supposedly one of the dock worker managers, or union manager, or something.

caryc

Hawkeye
It amazes me that a ship that size only has a crew of 22. It doesn't give you a lot of people to handle emergencies. I don't know how the crew is split up, but I am sure there are only a handful of people assigned to the engineering spaces. I wonder how many were actually in the engine room when this power emergency happened.

I know everything is automated and just requires pushing a button or turning a knob during normal operations, but how do they have enough people to handle emergencies?

Any man made mechanical device is going to breakdown at some point.
It could of had a crew of 122. So what would you expect those 100 extra people to do? Maybe grab paddles and start rowing the thing?

It is absolutely amazing how many posters in this thread are wearing their tinfoil hats way too tight. The Pilot reported a power problem well before they actually struck the bridge. Power did return but too late to turn or stop. That is called an 'accident'.
This ship had been having issues for weeks multiple ports including this trip into Baltimore. Evidently these are easily hacked as well.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
They already have.

Exactly.
Baltimore's economic engine - its port - just got cut off at the knees and Homie is on TV whining about white people.

And Hizzoner's taking the catastrophic blow to his city so seriously he's dressed up in his finest high-school senior letter jackets and hoodies.

You couldn't find a better illustration of the failure of DEI if you tried.

Until they try to rebuild the bridge, anyway. I just hope they're smart enough to let the professionals handle clearing the ship channel . . .

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Ok, I probably resemble this remark.

1711673349582.png