AR-556 Handguard Q?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Does anyone here that owns the AR-556, know if these handguards will fit the Ruger AR-556 rifle?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XMAG538BLK&name=Magpul+MOE+SL+Hand+Guard%2c+Carbine-Length+%e2%80%93+Black&groupid=1686&fprdct=1

ditto1958

Blackhawk
It's a standard carbine length AR, so generally speaking any handguards that will go on an AR with a carbine length gas system should work.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
You can install any handgaurd of any length on the ar 556, but if it is longer than carbine length you will have to change the barrel nut to a standard mil spec , you can get them from 5-12$, you will definitely want a upper receiver vice block to remove the ruger barrel nut as it it extremely tight , I think they used lock tight on it , don't use that when installing your new nut, and you need at least 30 ft lbs of torque so a torque wrench is also nessesary, or a gunsmith , if you don't feel comfortable doing it, hope this helps, BTW some hhandgaurd come with the barrel nut, also you'll need a barrel nut wrench, get a heavy one, oh also if you get a longer one you'll either have to change the gas block get a clamp on , or cut down the sight tower, however midwest inbustries makes one with a cutout for the tower, this is what I went with. Good luck

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all of the replies. I called MAGPUL and they confirmed that the handguard will fit.

ian03

Single-Sixer
I installed one last night on my new AR556. Once I figured out the collar was threaded and not a spring it went pretty smooth.