Anyone Using a Ruger SP101 for Home Defense?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FlyingPancreas

Bearcat
Noob here. Hi, everyone.

I am currently using a Glock 23 for my nightstand weapon, but for some reason am drawn to revolvers for home defense. I like the versatility of the SP101 as it seems small enough to be used for CCW while also appearing to be a good choice for home defense despite the smaller round capacity. Higher capacity has its benefits, but I just don't see myself getting into a protracted gunfight in a home defense situation. Just wondering if anyone here is currently using the SP101 for home defense.

Also, would be grateful for any info about preferred ammo, as I am relatively unfamiliar with .357.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
I live in an urban environment so my neighbor's house is about 15' on one side an about 20' on the other so I'm very concerned about over penetration. I use a 101 3" for night stand duty and if it's dirty I use a 2 1/4" SP. Since my neighbors are so close I load mine with 38+Ps and I don't feel under gunned with only 5 shots. Like you said in a home invasion I don't expect to be in a full blown gun fight. I have 2 speed loaders and another loaded SP near by if the need arrises. I very comfortable with an SP at hand.

TheDude

Single-Sixer
My favorite gun for just about any defensive carry, be it home or otherwise, is my 3" Sp101 in 357 Magnum. It usually has 38 Special HP's in it when at home. We have kids in the house and like 41manor44, over penetration is a consideration for us too.

If we go for a walk in the woods or along the riverbed nearby, I usually stoke it with 357 Magnum 158g SP's....any further out and the 44 comes along instead.

Far be it from me to dissuade another man from buying a new gun and if you have the urge for one, I highly recommend getting it but in the end, it will not do anything your Glock 23 will do and in fact for home defense, some would argue the Glock would be the better choice.

Regards,

Josh

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yeah, what the above posters said! I really like my SP-101's!! Of course, LARGE calibre "back up" is very, very handy, as well.

flatgate

Bootlegger

Single-Sixer
It has been on my night stand going on 20 years, was on my side until this Kahr came along. One of a few I will never sell.

SAM_0177.jpg

stevemb

Hunter
If you ever try force-on-force training and try to do a reload in the middle of a scenario, you will go straight home and put that Glock on the night stand. There are folks that are impressively fast at reloading at an IDPA shoot that'll take 1-3 hits during a force-on-force class. At home where concealability is not an issue... I don't always take my own advice, admittedly, my Bulldog is in my pocket now, but the Glock is in the next room and there's an AK in the closet behind me. Stay safe folks. stevemb

Pal Val

Buckeye
SP101 for home defense? I don't. My wife does. I don't recommend anyone forcing her to shoot that little gun. She can do it very accurately and is well drilled on it. I hold my side of the deal with my GP100.

stevemb

Hunter
If all you have is an SP101, yes you are well armed.Given the choice of a 5-shot snub or a double-stack pistol,well, choice is obvious. My Bulldog fills the same niche, several friends have them. If worried about over-penetration, go to the lighter bullet choices for caliber. I would advise a slow walk thru of your home, decide whats cover, whats concealment. Decide best way to clear your rooms and how to respond to an entry from any room. Decide what role others in home can fill. Can they help, or at least make the 911 call ? Etc.. stevemb

wwb

Hunter
SP for concealed carry, but there's a 4 inch S&W Model 19 in the nightstand. The difference is the "natural pointability" of the Smith.... it shoots where I'm looking, but I have to aim the SP.

Hugh

Buckeye
SP-101 3-1/16" .357 loaded with 125 gr .38 Spl+P JHP is my night stand gun. It is also my carry piece. In the woods/field it has 158 gr .357 JSP.

deac45

Single-Sixer
3" 38 is my main carry/nightstand gun. 158gr XTP's are it's favorite load. I recently got a Springfield XDm 45. Once I feel competent with it it may become my nightstand gun.

Deac45

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
HMMM...I have both an SP101 & G23. The 2.25" SP101 can't be beat in my opinion for a CCW gun. I got CTC lasergrips on it & even though many people argue it doesn't help...I had it Magna-Ported. I seem to be able to re-acquire a sight picture faster after each shot now...plus, it is really loud if your next to it when it fires, so at the range it generally keeps the lane next to me open so I can utilize the counter space :lol:

For home defense, where concealabilty is not an issue, the G23 with a couple pre-ban, regular capacity magazine rests on my nightstand. When I travel though, I usually have my SP101 & I have NEVER felt less than confident with it in the home (hotel room) defense role!

exlogger

Single-Sixer
His and hers.
I prefer 38 special ammo over 357 for close quarters HD. Nothing against the 357, but with friendlies close by I find the flash, sound, and penetration to be a little too much. I know how loud my SP is with full powered 357 ammo outdoors. Inside?? I don't wan to find out.

RugerSafe.jpg

FlyingPancreas

Bearcat
Wow, thanks for all the great responses. A lot to think about regarding whether or not to replace my current bedside Glock with it, but ultimately I will definitely be purchasing an SP101. And down the road, maybe a 686 or GP100 as well. I discovered revolvers later than mag-loaded pistols, through range rentals, and really fell in love.

Pathfinder2

Bearcat
I had the original 38sp version and had it converted to 357 with bobbed hammer. Sold that when the factory 357 was introduced. Still have that one. It is the go to home defense gun and frequently taken when I travel. Great gun. Use factory 125 jhps.

opos

Buckeye
Can't get a CCW where I live (unless you are in Congress) but it's legal to carry concealed on your premises without a permit...We have our nightstand guns and I frequently stick my SP101 snub in 38+P in my jacket or pants pocket while at home or in the garage. Simple, quick, reliable and very easy to carry.