Anyone use the Accurate pistol powders?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mark in GA

Bearcat
I would like to hear about anyone's experiences w/ AA2, AA5, AA7, or AA9.

Do they offer any particular advantages?
Any disadvantages?
I would assume that they meter well being ball powders, right?
Do they ignite easily or need magnum primers?
Do they burn hotter or cooler than other powders?
Are they even tempered or do they have pressure spikes?
Are they accurate/consistant?

I have used a number of Alliant and Hodgdon powders before, but wondered how Accurate's offerings compared.

I load the following:
9mm
38 Special
357 Mag
44 Special
44 Mag
45 Auto

Thanks,
Mark in GA

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have used a pound of Accurate No 2 Improved . Mostly in 45 colt. It seemed to do very well. But there sure is a very small amount in that big ol case. I do not have a crony so I don't know what the SD was. A lb loads a lot of cases.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I use a lot of accurate #9 in 357mag and 44mag. Works extremely well and accurate with max charges and jacketed bullets. It likes normal to heavy bullets and is very smooth when working up loads. I have used reduced loads as well without any problems. I believe you can reduce the max charge by up to 15%. The very slow powder is good in long barrel revolvers and pistol caliber rifles, it has very smooth recoil and a big boom. I use Win WSP and WLP primers. A good substitute for H-110 and more versatile. :D :D

...Jimbo

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I stock AA2, AA2 Imp (the current "AA2"), AA5, and AA9.
2 is fast, like Bullseye.
5 was designerd for the 45 ACP, and is a medium powder.
9 is a superb accuracy-at-less-than-maximum-velocity altenative to W296/H110.

But for your choices I'd still suggest a one-powder choice of Alliant Power Pistol.

AA9 is designed to be ignited by regular primers.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
All of my loads are with cast bullets.
Selected loads with AA5 in .38 Sp
Selected with AA5 & AA7 in 9MM.
AA9 in .357, .44mag and .45 Colt might not give the absolute highest velocities but is very accurate. Seems to work best with heavier bullets :)

ra

Single-Sixer
When Accurate Arms first went in business they started in McEwen, TN about 50 miles west of Nashville. When they first started they packaged a lot of surplus powders. I don't remember if it was late '70's or early '80's but in Nashville there was Kay's Ace Hardware, they had the best firearms business in Nashville. There reloading selection was huge, but sadly they closed. They had Accurate Arms powder before I had ever heard of it, I went in one day and they had AA powder on display, after looking it over and talking to a salesman I bought a can of #9. IIRC I paid around $9 a pound. At the time AA powder was a dollar or two cheaper than other powders. For years I used a lot of #2, #9, 4064, and 1680.
I don't use it much anymore because where I buy my powder now it is usually more expensive than other powders. I still use AA 4064 in my 22-250, I have not found any powder that is a accurate in my rifle.

ra

8emem

Bearcat
I use AA#2 where I use Bullseye, as target loads in 38 special, 45 acp, 44 special, and 45 colt. I use AA#5 where I use Unique, in the full power range for 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 acp. I also use this powder for mid-range 357mag, 44 special, 44 mag and 45 colt loads. AA#7 gets used for full-power 9mm and 10mm, and some near-full power .44 special and .44 mag loads. I have not had great sucess with AA#9, due to pressure signs as I worked up past mid-range, and unburned powder issues, even with magnum primers. I find H110 and 2400 to be much better powders for full-power 357 mag and 44 mag loads. #2, #5, and #7 burn completely and cleanly for me with standard primers, and they meter very well, very fine-grained powders, almost like sand. They really are very good powders and I always have a supply of at least one of them on hand at any given time.

ChuckS1

Bearcat
I use AA#5 instead of Unique when I load on my progressive press because it meters so well. Otherwise, I use Unique for nostalgia's sake...

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I have used AA5 in all the calibers except the .44 Mag. It works great for mid to upper end loads in all the others. It's pretty dense, so it doesn't fill the case like some other powders, but I have never had any ignition problems. Some of my most accurate loads in .38 Spec, .357 Mag and .45ACP use AA5. It seems to burn pretty cleanly as well. It does take a bit more weight wise, so if you a high volume reloader, it might not be the best choice.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I found the AA2's an equivalent for Bullseye and 700X in 45 ACP, except maybe not quite the same accuracy potential.
Same with AA5 vs WAP/Power Pistol/HS6 in 9x19, although AA5 and jacketed bullets is a near-perfect union in 45 ACP.
AA9 has worked well for me in 'magnum' cartridges, normally providing superb accuracy but at slightly reduced velocity maximums available from the W296/H110 types.

Accuracy.......

I've used surplus AA#5 & 7(8# of each) w/o any problems. The #7 is good in 9mm and heavier 357(not mag level) loads. I've also used lots of MR3100, 2230, and 2460 in rifle loads with excellent results. Definitely, rework all loads if you change lots or production dates.

sargeny1

Bearcat
You need to pick up the last few issues of "Handloader" Magazine...there are a number of articles written about AA Handgun powders...suffice to say these powders give SPECTACULAR results....ONE HOLE accuracy with my Keith Cast Bullets..high velocity...CLEAN BURNING...easy metering....so much so that I have now DUMPED H-110/WW296 for my 357, 41 & 44 Magnums....could NEVER get them to burn right no matter what I did....not to mention that if you do not get the load right you WILL experience gas cutting of your top straps....I am referring here to AA #9 in the aforementioned magnums...both Ruger and S&W Magnum revolvers...
Do yourself a favor and get some AA9 for your Magnum revolvers...the load data is available form their website...
Pete

LightningMan

Bearcat
I use a lot of AA#5 in my cast bullet loadings for .380, 9mm, & .45acp. I use it also for FMJ in .45acp and JHP for the 5.7x28mm round. LM

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
I used some AA7 in 45ACP. I buddy got an 8 pound jug. and give me a littl to try.

worked real good in my Lee pro disk. shot good.