Anyone shooting the 6.8SPC??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just got a new 6.8 AR barrel for a winter project and have been looking for ammo. Already have some SSA and Federal 90 grain on hand but interested in hearing good/bad reports about whatever you may have tried.

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
Own 3, a 16" barreled Ruger 77, a 16" bushmaster and a 14" 'Tender. Taken deer and feral hogs with the cartridge to 200yds. I prefer 100gr bullets and 'large primer' cases.

Tradhunter

Single-Sixer
I have 2 ar's with 16" Wilson barrels. I use hornady 120 grain sst's. Several hogs and several deer taken. I like it. I also just ordered some federal 90 grain gold dots. You will like it. Check out AR performance for your bolt and carrier.

I've had the bolt and magazines for 3-4 years just waiting for the motivation to finish the project. I saw the AR Performance barrels on sale with stock dwindling so decided may as well be now.
Didn't quite get it together last night. Had some difficulty with gas tube roll pin (made in China parts suck big time)and called it quits.
I got a heck of a buy on a few boxes of SSA 90 grain and also some Federal 90 grain so am hoping that bullet weight works in this barrel. This will be a low use upper-mostly for the kids' deer rifle.

Kanook

Buckeye
I had an Stag Arms AR in 6.8 for a couple of years when i found out Ruger was making them. Never got a chance to buyna Mini in it though. I bought the last Hawkeye 6.8 Davidsons had back in 11 and have a bunch of fun with it. I traded jnto a Savage a planned on a barrel swap but I haven't found a stock that I like to fully commit to the swap.

I sure wish Ruger would do a American Ranch in 6.8, but I bet it will never happen.

I do plan on a Thompson Encore barrel in 6.8 so I can suppress it.

I took a chance and ordered another 10 boxes of the Federal 90 grain bonded white box ammo after reading a very favorable write up on it's performance. Since this rifle is predominantly a 150-200 yard deer tool, even mediocre accuracy will be adequate while bullet performance is top priority.
Upper is finished and scope is bore sighted-just waiting on decent weather for test firing. It's tough to test when you can't see the 100 backstop or keep targets from blowing off the board.