Anyone recognize this knife

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SWR

Single-Sixer
Found this in a box of a relatives possessions. No information from anybody in the family as to where it came from.
Does anyone recognize where this might have come from or what styling of knife this might be, Indian, Mexican etc.
Also any idea on the material for the handle. The knife is heavy and appears well made yet crudely finished in other aspects. There is a hand cut inscription on the blade of the knife beneath the rust that reads "apmenhc xania keathe".
I believe apmenhc might have something to do with Lebanon. Could this possibly be a souvenir from The Middle East?

Thanks Steve

Attachments

• IMG_20220711_122252115.jpg
    IMG_20220711_122252115.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20220711_122315753.jpg
    IMG_20220711_122315753.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20220711_122320317.jpg
    IMG_20220711_122320317.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:

SWR

Single-Sixer
Would you know if any kind animal like a ram would exist in the Lebanon / Middle East area ?

I note some rust, so not stainless. Looking at the steel and handle pins I would guess 1940s - 50s manufacture. Definitely a ( meat?) cutter for purpose. The " keathe" in the inscriptions makes me think Irish or British, as that name originates there. I think it denotes the manufacturer, and that the knife was made someplace in Britain.

SWR

Single-Sixer
Interesting observation. I dont think made in Britain though as the parts seem to be of reasonable quality however the execution is rough in a few places, or crude even. The words look like they were scratched in freehand with a chisel point, the "x" engraving along the spine is also freehand and inconsistent. The "groves" in the middle of the blade look to have been cut with a dremel tool.
I keep thinking some tourist street vendor in a back alley in the Middle East somewhere. One of the words infers a Turkish background. One of the other words seems to infer a Danish / Celtic background. Dont know, seem to be hitting a brick wall on this one. Nothing really comes up trying all different variables in a Google search

Interesting observation. I dont think made in Britain though as the parts seem to be of reasonable quality however the execution is rough in a few places, or crude even. The words look like they were scratched in freehand with a chisel point, the "x" engraving along the spine is also freehand and inconsistent. The "groves" in the middle of the blade look to have been cut with a dremel tool.
I keep thinking some tourist street vendor in a back alley in the Middle East somewhere. One of the words infers a Turkish background. One of the other words seems to infer a Danish / Celtic background. Dont know, seem to be hitting a brick wall on this one. Nothing really comes up trying all different variables in a Google search
We could both be right. How about a mid-eastern knockoff of a British knife?

warren5421

Single-Sixer
It could be a WWII knife made by hand using scrap. Dad spent time in North Africa and at one time before 3 boys it looked like that one. Seen some made of plane parts, broken canapé from fighters and steel also.