Anyone make metal magazines for Ruger American rifles?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drastic_quench

Bearcat
One of the few things keeping me from picking one up is that the magazine feels like it came out of the prize shop at Chuck E Cheese.

Leatherneck

Bearcat
The one that came with my daughter's rifle is a solid chunk of plastic. Even stronger than the plastic ones you get for the AR's.
Though I would love to see them offered in a higher capacity in plastic or metal.

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
drastic_quench said:
One of the few things keeping me from picking one up is that the magazine feels like it came out of the prize shop at Chuck E Cheese.

Funny--- and true! :lol:

soyarm

Bearcat
I have 2 RAR. One in 30/06 and one in 308 and both are fine rifles. I notice that the major complaint (usually from people that don't own one) is the plastic magazine. It is not the plastic that we once knew (being 65 years old). It is extremely durable and works as slick as polished glass. I have two for each rifle and I use them a lot. I have never had one fail in any way and neither has either of them failed to feed the rifle properly. I also live with the fact that in the unlikely hood that one would malfunction that Ruger would make good on it. Do not let the magazine deter your choice in a RAR for it is a great rifle even if it were twice the price. My opinion based on experience.

leon670

Bearcat
I have never understood why anyone would want a high cap mag in a bolt action centerfire.
Amish tommygun? :D

Leatherneck

Bearcat
leon670 said:
I have never understood why anyone would want a high cap mag in a bolt action centerfire.

Wow that's funny.
Actually, it's more of a convenience thing. I would rather grab the rifle and one mag when I go out to shoot. That's less I have to carry. It has nothing to do with hunting or being tactical.

robertkirksey said:
I have one and the magazine works fine. Could someone be specific describing the faults of the magazine?
Don't hold your breath, other than uninformed opinions. I've never had any failure, glitch or complaint about mine. Also, I don't envision a need for a high rate of fire on a 4-round capacity bolt-action hunting rifle. If someone made a steel rotary mag in 7 calibers for the RAR, you would no longer have a 6 1/2 lb. rifle or a free-floated, crowned barrel with an adjustable trigger for $350.00.

leon670

Bearcat
Leatherneck said:
leon670 said:

Wow that's funny.
Actually, it's more of a convenience thing. I would rather grab the rifle and one mag when I go out to shoot. That's less I have to carry. It has nothing to do with hunting or being tactical.
I should think that either a loaded mag or a box of cartridges would fit into the pocket of a field coat. If you reload, the empties can go right back in the box. I guess I don't see how a high cap mag is more convenient. Each to his own.

Bearhands

Bearcat
robertkirksey said:
I have one and the magazine works fine. Could someone be specific describing the faults of the magazine?
steveodtw said:
robertkirksey said:
Don't hold your breath, other than uninformed opinions. I've never had any failure, glitch or complaint about mine. Also, I don't envision a need for a high rate of fire on a 4-round capacity bolt-action hunting rifle. If someone made a steel rotary mag in 7 calibers for the RAR, you would no longer have a 6 1/2 lb. rifle or a free-floated, crowned barrel with an adjustable trigger for $350.00.
TOTALLY AGREE ^^^

Back on track... I have one (243) that just pleases the heck outta me... the magazine has never failed and since their debut on the market, I have heard of very few complaints about it. 6.25lbs of very accurate hunting (not target) rifle is really hard to beat. I'm sure that if there were problems with the mag, Ruger would address that immediately. My observation is that the RAR is flying off the shelves due to all the accolades it has received.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Bearhands said:
robertkirksey said:
steveodtw said:
robertkirksey said:
TOTALLY AGREE ^^^

Back on track... I have one (243) that just pleases the heck outta me... the magazine has never failed and since their debut on the market, I have heard of very few complaints about it. 6.25lbs of very accurate hunting (not target) rifle is really hard to beat. I'm sure that if there were problems with the mag, Ruger would address that immediately. My observation is that the RAR is flying off the shelves due to all the accolades it has received.

Yes indeed!! I have a 308 and load for another, they work great.
I am a little upset about the 223 mag though, but not about quality. I saw a 223 yesterday & they blocked the mag big time. So they have a 1-8 with a mag for short bullets, I woun't buy the 223 until that is solved, I heard Ruger is thinking about it.

DDubya

Single-Sixer
I have 3 for my .270 and they work very well. Just for grins I found I could put two spare mags in the nylon cheekpad thingy along with 5 more in the cartridge holder.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Nomosendero said:
I am a little upset about the 223 mag though, but not about quality. I saw a 223 yesterday & they blocked the mag big time. So they have a 1-8 with a mag for short bullets, I woun't buy the 223 until that is solved, I heard Ruger is thinking about it.

^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly!! If they unblock the 223 mag I'll have to get one.

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
robertkirksey said:

Don't think there are any faults really. Just not your Grandfathers magazines. Very easy to load and carry. Just received my 2nd one today. ($24.00 + $4.99 shipping). Can't wait for the weather to change to go try it out with my new RAR 270 ($289.00) Pretty nice rifle for not much moola!

No.1Nick said:
robertkirksey said:

Don't think there are any faults really. Just not your Grandfathers magazines. Very easy to load and carry. Just received my 2nd one today. ($24.00 + $4.99 shipping). Can't wait for the weather to change to go try it out with my new RAR 270 ($289.00) Pretty nice rifle for not much moola!
I was pleased to get my .270 RAR for $349.00. You got a killer deal at $289.00. Nice catch. :D

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Sugar River said:
Nomosendero said:

^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly!! If they unblock the 223 mag I'll have to get one.

Blackhawk, maybe you should send them an e-mail on their site, I did yesterday. Enough of us screaming may do the trick.

Blammer308

Bearcat
I had a faulty mag from ruger for my American in 308, they promptly sent me another.

The replacement works fine. I do see some stress points that over time I predict will lead to mag failure. Particularly on the base of the mag, where the base of the round is, there is one 'dimple' piece of plastic holding it together and I see it stretch each time it is loaded. I don't think it will last. Time will tell.

I would like to see a metal magazine myself, same shape as the existing one, OR a re-design of the base of the existing mag.

drastic_quench

Bearcat
leon670 said:
I don't want or need high cap. I just want a metal magazine.