Anyone having problems with CCI primers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Peacemaker

Bearcat
Loaded up a bunch of .38 specials (box of 50) with CCI small pistol primers. Went to the range. Had 3 misfires out the box of 50. All showed primer strikes but no "boom". Never had that happen before. 3 out of 50 is not a good thing. Does storing the primers in my garage over the winter have any negative effects?

7mmb

Bearcat
I've never had a problem with CCI primers. They were all I used until things started drying up and I had to use Remingtons. The last time I went shooting I had my first failure to fire. It was a 9mm using a Rem 1 1/2. While storing primers in your garage over the winter isn't best practices it shouldn't cause a failure to fire. How old were the primers? How did you clean the cases? I had a friend that had a bunch of 223 reloads fail. We figured out that he didn't get the insides of the cases dry after he wet cleaned them. Not seating the primers fully so that the feet of the anvil are bottomed out on the primer pocket can cause a misfire too. A light mainspring in your gun might be the cause too. Have you used CCI primers in this gun before? CCI primers supposedly have the hardest cups.

mikld

Blackhawk
I have been using CCI primers for prolly 25 years and never found a bad one. Some (a very few) needed two hits to fire, because I had not seated them quite enough. Since I discovered the fault was mine I have had zero problems with CCI primers.

Retry the "bad" round and see if the second strike will fire the round. 90% of the time they will, indicating mis-seated primers...

6gun

Hunter
Have never had a misfire with anthing I have loaded and use CCI's often, I would also pull the bullet and see if someone forgot to load the charge. :D

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
I had the same thing happen with me, showing a primer strike but no boom.
Come to find out my problem was I had cleaned the gun prior and lubed with a much heavier oil.
With the below freezing temperatures at the time of shooting, the firing pin would slightly dent several primers. By midday when the sun warmed everything up the same cartridges shot just fine.
Next day, same conditions after cleaning again and using a lighter oil, had no problems.

DGW1949

Hunter
Peacemaker said:
Loaded up a bunch of .38 specials (box of 50) with CCI small pistol primers. Went to the range. Had 3 misfires out the box of 50. All showed primer strikes but no "boom". Never had that happen before. 3 out of 50 is not a good thing. Does storing the primers in my garage over the winter have any negative effects?

To answer your two questions....
(1). Yes, I have. The defects I had were about the same percentage as you had. In my case, I examined the unused primers that I had left and observed that the priming disk(s) inside each one were not uniform in color. Most were yellow, some were yellowish-brown, and a couple were totally brown. Like yours, mine were small pistol also. I don't know what color the priming disk is supposed to be in a CCI primer these days though...I haven't used any more of them since...and that was some 35 years ago.
(2). Storing primers in cold weather shouldn't bother them at all. If it did, none of the winter wars that's been fought over the years would have been fought. Leastways, not with firearms.

That's all I know about that.

DGW

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Don't recall ever seeing any failures to fire w/ CCI primers in handguns that were left at factory spec. Putting in lighter springs has been associated w/ some failures: the CCI cup tends to be a bit harder than most, and some smiths have recommended Federals (softest cup of the major mfrs) for modified guns (my old gunsmith boss among them.)

If you're gun's factory stock, neither damaged nor overly worn, properly cleaned and lubed, I'd look carefully at your loading practices for the "problems" others have already noted. Yes, it IS possible you got some "bad" ones, though I'd expect that more of current lots, where all the production is under stress to keep up w/ demand, than older ones. Still, it happens...

Rick C

Rclark

Hunter
All I use is CCI primers, large and small. Magnum and non-magnum. Only recall one bad primer. It just would not snap after several 'retries'. This is after many years of reloading. I had some 'light' primer strikes that 'took' on the next time around. But that was a gun problem. Other than that... knock on wood, CCI has been trouble free for me and will continue to use them.

Does storing the primers in my garage over the winter have any negative effects?
Not sure, as I store all mine in the dry basement of my home. Might say it is climate controlled :) .

mikld

Blackhawk
Bayouhunter said:
My sentiments
I cannot find any.
Who bought them all?
I did. I have roughly 11k that I bought over the last 4 years... :shock: :D

I got them pre-panic, just incase...

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Just had a 200 rd session last night where 2 CCI 550's did not fire after 5 attempts each. I cleaned my striker channel and will try these again. If they don't fire then, I will pull them down and see what I can see.

DGW1949

Hunter
Precision32 said:
Check out this article.

http://www.stevespages.com/primermyths.html

Interesting article.
Perhaps "sensitivity" would be a better word to use than "hardness". Still though, I'd like to know by what method CCI addresses the matter during development and manufacture, and as far as that goes, other companies as well.
Another term I'd like to see details on, is "NATO Spec" primers...sort of like CCI's #34, which they advertize as being "less sensitive".
Until shown otherwise, I'm still betting that such differences have at least something to do with the primer cup...increased thickness perhaps, which most of us would translate into "hardness".....which if true, would seem to bring the discussion full circle.

Or it could be that I'm just being hard-headed about it all.

DGW

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Precision32 said:
Check out this article.

http://www.stevespages.com/primermyths.html

Hi,

Interesting article, and most of the points are easy enough to understand. One that's NOT addressed, though, comes from observation in our shop "back when." Our guys worked on everything, but since the shop was part of our trap & skeet complex, target shotguns were the bread and butter items.

Perazzi shotguns were (still are) very popular, and some folks had more than a usual amount of trouble w/ damaged/worn firing pins on the lower barrel of their O/Us. The lower pins were already short by design, and (at least at the time) somewhat softer than many other brands, so it didn't take much to render them unreliable. My boss replaced 'em by the handful, and always asked about the ammo the shooter was using. "Factory or reload?" almost always came back "Reload" and "What brand of primer are you using?" almost always came back "CCI."

He recommended Federals, and very seldom replaced another firing pin for a shooter who made the switch.

So, I can understand the "sensitivity" issue being confused w/ "hardness" but that doesn't 'splain mechanical damage...

Thoughts?

Rick C

Precision32

Blackhawk
From discussions I have had with Alliant engineers, the sensitivity is controlled by the space between the cup and anvil. The military still requires the less sensitive primer due to the floating firing pins on military rifles.

To be honest, I have never looked into shot shell primers. As to the firing pin issue, I can ask some questions of my gunsmith school to see if they know anything about what Rick relates. Come to think of it, I'm going to ask just to learn more.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Precision32 said:
To be honest, I have never looked into shot shell primers. As to the firing pin issue, I can ask some questions of my gunsmith school to see if they know anything about what Rick relates. Come to think of it, I'm going to ask just to learn more.

Hi,

For what it's worth, this observation/experience comes mainly from Perazzi guns made before about 1990. My boss sold everything then, and I moved on... lost contact w/ most of the trapshooting community, too.

So you may get blank looks if you ask "new" guys--might need to find some greybeards to talk to. Please let us know what you learn, ok?

Rick C

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I used CCI primers in virtually all my commercial ammo.
Zero failures ever......

That said, in 1976 I bought CCI primers (in 100 lots!) and found one without its anvil.