Anyone have experience with Hi-Point pistols?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

markmmg

Bearcat
I stopped by a pawn shop this afternoon and they had a .380 Hi-Point pistol with a compensator on the barrel for $160. I have never heard of Hi-Point guns. Everything I have found on-line says that they are inexpensive but very reliable handguns. The gun at the pawn show was in very good condition. I didn't handle the gun so I may have to go back and check it out again for that price. Does anybody have any experience with Hi-Point handguns?

markmmg

Bearcat
After doing some more research, I found that Hi-Point does make a .380 with a compensator.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheap, clunky, very low quality, but they do go BANG when you pull the trigger ... if that's all you're looking for .... that's what you'll get. I'd save another hundred and get a better quality gun. If you have no more money ... go for it ! I might look at a KelTec first.

REV

96/44

Blackhawk
I bought one several years back (C9 9mm), just as a knockaround spare gun. Yes, it was ugly, clunky, heavy, and way too large for a single stack 9, but it was 100% reliable. They lack features found on most other guns, mainly a slide release lever, and to field strip them, you have to drive a pin out with a punch and hammer. Mine was surprisingly accurate, probably due to the fixed barrel, and the sights were very nice. Made in America, with a lifetime warranty. I just sold mine to a coworker, and he seems happy with it as well. Much better than the other guns in that price range (jennings, lorcin, raven,etc...)

Mike J

Hunter
I don't have experience with them personally. My neighbor & a coworker both have them. The general consensus seems to be that they work well as long as you keep them clean.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Two of my neighbors have Hi point .45s. A bit clunky but really not all that much more ugly that some vastly more expensive pistols. Most all go bang every time and in a pinch make a pretty darn good club :lol:

Al James

Hunter
I had one given to me. I was in it right and it was such a pain in the ass to take apart that I decided to do an endurance test on it. I shot that gun approx. 1800 rounds without cleaning and I dont think it jammed once. I sold it for 100 bucks and moved on. If you like fine craftsmanship-save your money. If you want something cheap to shoot that works better than it should buy the High Point.

MTH2600

Bearcat
I have a Hi Point .45 and I love the thing.
It was 100% reliable right out of the box and (in my hands) is at least as accurate as my SR9.
I actually find it more comfortable to shoot for extended periods than the Ruger. (sorry for that heresy).
There is an excellent forum on all things Hi Point at http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/
There is also a 100% no questions asked warranty on every gun, FOREVER. First, second or twentieth owner for whatever cause.
If you can't tell, I'm a big believer in HP.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
They are a little "MAC 10" boxy looking.

I think it wouldn't take much for HighPoint to make them look as good as some of the plastic guns that are out there, which kinda leave a little to be desired anyway. I gotta hand it to them if they are reliable. That is so important.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Al James":2ah8rijc said:
If you want something cheap to shoot that works better than it should buy the High Point.

Yeah, Al, I'd have to go along with that ... and their 9MM 995 Carbine is excellent for about $250. It's very tacticool !!!

REV

sparks701

Bearcat
revhigh":17lloict said:
Al James":17lloict said:
If you want something cheap to shoot that works better than it should buy the High Point.

Yeah, Al, I'd have to go along with that ... and their 9MM 995 Carbine is excellent for about $250. It's very tacticool !!!

REV
Just got one of the 995TS (tactical stock) great little carbine, if I wasn't laid off of work i would have never given a HP a second look, but because of the price I bought one and have loved it, fun to shoot, very accurate and reliable. It was a great buy. I learned a little something along the way, high prices don't always mean high quality and vice versa.

38/357

Bearcat
I though about one of them little 9mm carbine , since Ruger don,t make the PC Carbine anymore , from the few people that I know that has them ,pistols and carbines they do work ok , and back in 2002 GunTest gave the 9mm carbine a best buy rateing , for the money and A lifetime warrenty , I don't think you can go wrong.

Paine

Bearcat
Might wanna talk them down on the price a bit. The Hi-Point website puts the MSRP at 135 new. Just my 2 cents.

railroader

Single-Sixer
The price seems high and why not go for one in 9mm. It will be easier to get ammo and the ammo will be cheaper. Mark

Spikess

Bearcat
I have two - an older alloy frame .40 S&W and a C9 9mm.

I received the .40 as a gift and had major problems with it from the beginning. It seldom fired an entire magazine of FMJ's without a malfunction, and once, while releasing the slide, it became hopelessly jammed. I MEAN "HOPELESSLY"! I sent it back to High Point and they agreed, IT WAS HOPELESSLY JAMMED. So they sent me a new pistol one week later, No Charge. I'd call that great customer service. Had a few malfunctions still until about 200 rounds. Ever since then, it's been flawless.

I bought the C9 from someone I know who was needing a few bucks. He asked $90.00 and I bought it. I had shot this particular pistol many times and knew it pretty well. In the over 1,000 rounds it fired before I acquired it, including lots of +P's and even some "questionable" reloads, it never hiccuped once. It still runs great......for a $90.00 gun.

If someone were in need of a gun for home defense and was on an ("extremely") limited budget, he could do a lot worse than a High Point.

graygun

Hunter
I saw a 9 at a gun show;it was ugly and top-heavy. They sound reliable enough;I wouldn't be against maybe getting one someday.

Shyoldman

Bearcat
HAve a 40 and 2 9mm all function great and I only shoot reloads! looks kind of grow on you, My buddy has the 45 and is embarrassed to take it to the range. He does , however , admit to being a gun SNOB! :wink: :shock: :D :D

tdyoung58

Bearcat
markmmg":2545vogu said:
I stopped by a pawn shop this afternoon and they had a .380 Hi-Point pistol with a compensator on the barrel for $160. I have never heard of Hi-Point guns. Everything I have found on-line says that they are inexpensive but very reliable handguns. The gun at the pawn show was in very good condition. I didn't handle the gun so I may have to go back and check it out again for that price. Does anybody have any experience with Hi-Point handguns?

Have two, the most ugly things I own, but they go bang everyt ime I pull the trigger . . . . doesn't matter what I feed it

Latest posts