Any Weatherby love here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
A friend has inherited a couple of Weatherby's. He's not a gun guy and I know zero about Weatherby and most rifles. Gun Broker isn't much help with darn few actually sold and very few bids on current items.

Can anybody give an idea of how scarce or common these are?
German made guns more or less desirable than Japan made?

Internet research shows both are early-70's guns. I'd say each are 95%-plus condition.

Has anybody seen recently what kind of money it takes for these to change hands?
Someone have a price guide to help?

Both are Weatherby Mark V. Beautiful wood!
One with Redfield scope, the other with a Weaver.
One in 340 Weatherby Mag, the other is 257 Weatherby Mag.

Thanks in advance if you can help!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
If they are Mark V Deluxe models , my blue book whch is a few years old now , puts them at $1,300.00+. I can only imagine they have gone up since. I'm not a Weatherby guy either but know someone who is. He is in Wi. near the Ill. border. May be close enough for you to make a drive and find out more...

hittman

Staff member
Thanks rugerjunkie ...... I'm closer to St. Louis than WI ...... any idea how to tell if they're a deluxe model? That roll marked on the barrel?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I do not know enough about them to be more help. One thing I do know is where they were made has a big factor in value. Maybe posting on the forums at Gunbroker will drum up some more knowledgeable guys that will have some answers.

RSIno1

Hunter
A Weatherby was my grail gun. Their South Gate shop was near customers I called on in the early 70s so I'd drop by and drool often. Being in my early 20s and with a new baby they were too expensive. By the time I could afford one they had moved production to Japan. While they were still good guns they just didn't have that attention to German detail so I didn't buy one. I came across a new unfired German one at Pachmayer in downtown LA in the early 80s. At $675 w/Weatherby scope and hard case I almost hurt myself getting my money out.
You can divide production into 5 catagories. If a Weatherby's condition drops below 95% the price drops rapidly.
1 - early Masuser conversions - worth less than I thought under $1000
2 - South Gate MKV production - worth less than German by $1-200
3 - German production - worth the most $12-1700
4 - Japanese production - worth less than German $1-200
5 - New USA production - high price just because they are new
All of the MKV production was deluxe until you get to the new ones that have synthetic stocks as standard. All of them have great wood. Some have great+ wood and command a higher price as do the laser marked stocks and sometimes the maple stocks if they have interesting wood.

http://www.weatherbycollectors.com/wbydata/wbydata.html

Found this on the WbyCollector site - If the rifle has rosewood tips with pistol grip inlay (diamond shape), it is a Deluxe. That's Weatherbys' "standard" grade. They also produce the Sporter Mark V's , which don't have the rosewood tips, or the extended pistol grip,

black029

Single-Sixer
There is some history at Weatherby.com.
I'm pretty sure the German guns are primo. Your friend's may be indigenous to California.

I also used to love to go to Weatherby's in South Gate when I was in college in the early 1960s. Of course, i could ONLY look!

Don't have much love for the MK V, but do like the Howa-actioned models for strictly utility "using" rifles, and you can get them in normal American calibers--I'm not a magnum fan.

And they sold some very nice guns based on models either designed by somebody else or designed and manufactured by somebody else: the MK XXII (based on a Beretta design and I think the first clip-fed ones may have been made by Beretta) and their earliest O/U shotguns, made by Angelo Zoli (no, not Antonio Zoli, or any of the other many Zolis--It's the only Weatherby I have actually owned, and a great one).

If I were to actually buy a Weatherby, I would want it to be a very early one using an FN Mauser action, preferably in .240 Weatherby Magnum, or .220 Weatherby Rocket (I know they were made in the latter caliber, but not sure about the .240). LOTS of history in those! Start of a great company, and one I hope can stay in CA.

Anybody know if they give public tours of the plant in Paso Robles?

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have and love the Vanguard's...in my opinion, it is about the best budget hunting rifle on the market. The Mark V doesn't really hold any allure for me, now...but I did lust after one, when I was growing up.

RSIno1

Hunter
Mike Armstrong said:
Anybody know if they give public tours of the plant in Paso Robles?
Wife grew up there in the mid 60s and we drove through a few times this year. Went by Weatherby but they weren't open on Friday & Saturday.

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
I have owned 4 Weatherbys---2 German and 2 Japanese, and found no significant difference. I hunted with them, killed scores of deer and hogs, all the while suffering extreme paranoia that I'd scratch that beautiful wood. Then I discovered the Savage, which could outshoot the Weatherby all day at 1/4 to 1/5 the price, and the Ruger #1, which offered a far greater challenge and could be had in all the Weatherby splendor, and the WEATHERBYS DISAPPEARED. If you want a tack-driver, get a Vanguard or a Savage, they are far better shooters. If you want class and beauty combined, get a #1.

taxed2death

Bearcat
Although I only owned one Weatherby, a very early 257 built on an FN action, I have shot literally hundreds of them. I worked for a gun shop in Austin that was a high-volume Weatherby dealer just after college, and I did all of the sight-ins for around 4 years. This amounted to between 25-40 guns per week, with a high percentage of those being Weatherbys. I guess the type of guys that wanted a Weatherby were also more frequently the type of people that paid others to go sight their guns in. I used to spend every Friday at that old range out on FM2222, the company van loaded to the gills with guns and ammo! I shot everything from the 224 Weatherby up to the 460 Weatherby (ouch!!), and frankly they almost always shot well. It was pretty rare that I could not get them to put three shots into 1 1/2" or better at 100yds. Some of this I credit to the ammo Weatherby had at the time (made by Norma if I recall correctly, although I could be wrong...it's been a LONG time, as in early '80s). Only on occassion would one act up, and more often than not the culprit was either a loose action screw or a loose scope mount...easily fixed in the field. Unfortunately it was often one of the harder-kicking chamberings that this happened on, necessitating my having to start over and endure the recoil all over again. I developed a true hatred for the 378, which was for some reason more punishing than even the 460. I also hated the LaserMark models with their deep-cut engraved stocks. These just chewed up your hands with anything from 300 Weatherby and up.

As for field use, the Weatherby chamberings were incredible. The rifles not so much. They shot well from the bench, but I found their handling less than satisfactory in actual hunting conditions. I also felt, as others have said, that the Mark Vs were just too shiny and pretty to take into the elements. The Vanguard, while not as fancy, just never appealed to me either. Part of it was aesthetics, but the rest was the simple fact that I just know more about tweeking more performance from Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, Mausers and others.

So, to sum it up, even though just about every Weatherby I have ever sat behind would shoot pretty dang well, I just never developed much love for them. The Mark V was like a beauty queen, maybe good in the sack and nice to be seen with, but too high maintenance to form a serious relationship. The Vanguard? Kind of like that butter-face girl....all good but her face.

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
I have 3: 2 Mk V Deluxe and 1 Vanguard Deluxe that looks just like a Mk V. .257, .270 and .300.

I have no need for more than the .300 Wby Magnum. They all shoot to a single hole, are wonderful to look at and they will not be sold unless I'm already dead. They are iconic US rifles, gorgeous in execution and function.

I paid a whole lot less than the prices quoted above, but I'm a patient collector and don't get excited in an auction. They can be had well below $1k if you wait for the right deal.

I'm primarily a Ruger No. 1 owner with a bunch of them, but there's a place in the gun room for these Weatherbys, a Belgian BAR, a Rem Nylon 66, and at least 1 M98 with a custom stock. :D

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
I own one....A MarkV Deluxe in 270 wmag....I've killed many deer, coyotes etc over the years...now its a queen that sits and is pretty to look at...but she's mine...right next to my 44mag carbine....which is king...

dfletcher

Blackhawk
hittman said:
A friend has inherited a couple of Weatherby's. He's not a gun guy and I know zero about Weatherby and most rifles. Gun Broker isn't much help with darn few actually sold and very few bids on current items.

Can anybody give an idea of how scarce or common these are?
German made guns more or less desirable than Japan made?

Internet research shows both are early-70's guns. I'd say each are 95%-plus condition.

Has anybody seen recently what kind of money it takes for these to change hands?
Someone have a price guide to help?

Both are Weatherby Mark V. Beautiful wood!
One with Redfield scope, the other with a Weaver.
One in 340 Weatherby Mag, the other is 257 Weatherby Mag.

Thanks in advance if you can help!

I've found Cabelas Gun Library online is a pretty good gauge of value. Sometime they're high or low, but if you cruise through the listings you get a good idea of what's reasonable. And Cabelas takes some pretty good pictures showing condition.

You have two popular calibers, that helps. In fact I thing the 257 is one of the most popular. I have both and they're great cartridges.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have a Vangaurd with a Boyd's laminated stock and a MkV in 270 Weatherby, original glossy walnut stock. It is not too much effort to use good cloth camo tape for hunting use to protect ANY stock from minor dings and scratches while in-sport.

If I could get either re-barreled in 270WSM, I would do it by suppertime. Dishing out $4+ per squeeze is not my idea of fun for the comparable ballistics of the 270 WSM or 270 Light Magnum loads out there.

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
The Wby Mark V is my grail. I currently have 6 and will continue to collect them. In my experience the Mark V does shoot better than other out of the box rifles. For example, my 300 Wby shot 0.563" the very first 3 shots I fired from it before sighting in my scope.

The Euromark model is the one I take hunting. I have one in 257 and one in 378. With the brake on, the 378 doesn't kick any harder than a 30-06, maybe a light 300winmag load. The Lazermarks, Ultramarks, and some Deluxe models are just too pretty to risk scratching so I manly just enjoy them at the range. The Mark V is too heavy as a sporter, but to me it is the ultimate magnum rifle.

I see most right handed guns, whether German, Japanese, or USA made sell for $800-1200 range with the big bores commanding a higher price. If you decide to sell either, it will sell more quickly if you have brass or ammo to include. Many people like the rifle but shy away at thinking they'll have to spend another couple hundred just to shoot it. As with any cartridge if you reload ammo cost is not an issue.

buffalocannon

Bearcat
Had buddy back in 70s who inherited Mark V in .300 WM from uncle. Beautiful rifle with Weatherby scope. Tried to buy it from him for years but he would not sell it. Died last year. Someone else got it. Anyway, what is history of rifles with Weatherby scope? Have never come across another one with a Weatherby scope?