Any rumors on a 1911 with a steel frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jesse4rmAZ

Bearcat
I'd be interested in a steel framed 9mm 1911. Any rumors of any new 9mm models coming out?

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
Me too for a stainless all steel commander model. And why they are at it, how about a full size target model?

FWIW, Colt has brought back a blue steel Combat Commander in 9MM. I just bought one and it is a sweet shooter. But I'd still prefer an all stainless 70 series model in 9MM to go with the Colt and the SR1911 CMD 9 I have.

MIshooter

Terry T

Buckeye
Interesting observation on Ruger 1911s:
Feed ramp on the stainless frame guns is in the frame.
Feed ramp on the alloy frame .45 acp guns is a titanium insert in the frame.
Feed ramp on the alloy frame 9mm guns is an extension of the barrel.
So....making a stainless steel frame 9mm is a bit more complicated than simply swapping out the barrel and springs. :shock:
I'd like to think these variations means Ruger is taking extra care in designing reliable guns.
Terry T

edlmann

Blackhawk
Terry T said:
Ruger 1911s are 'series 70' style lock work.
Maybe. In terms of frame components, you're right.

I think the term "Pre-80-series" would be more accurate since the difference between the 70-series and previous Colts was the collet-style barrel bushing, which mercifully has gone the way of the dodo.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Have a SA RO in 9mm. It was $719 in Jan. 2015 at a LGS. It has a ramped barrel and the .45 I bought in the fall of 2014 does not.

My guess is IFFF Ruger does an all steel in 9mm it will also have the ramped barrel.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Buy a manufacturing engineer lunch someday - I have heard the 9mm (and coming models) will not offer a steel frame SR1911 in any foreseeable future. The lightweight works and sells too well. Make it much heavier? Too small a niche in this market. SA and Taurus have a steel-frame 1911 that works. Kinda like an N-frame in 38SPL to me :roll: not that that'd be a bad thing...

I suspect the next thing will be to trip the CNC program and cut a 6" barrel and adjustable sight slide in 10mm - and at under $1K IRL, put CZ/Dan Wesson on the skids.
- in a post-Obama/Clinton threat & panic US market, under-pricing the competition's models is a proven strategy. Its what the shareholders want.

Terry T

Buckeye
Interesting - makes sense the LW is out selling the steel - CCW market is hot and the 'target' / competition market, not so much. All about volume.

I'd like to see a light weight frame under a full size (5") slide / barrel offered in both .45 acp and 9mm. :D

I think the .45acp version would simply be a recombination of 'off the shelf' parts - something that Ruger has tended to do in the past - mix and match from the parts bin. 9mm would be a little more engineering.

I've also noticed that Ruger is having a party with different frame colors - gray, black, red, green, and purple. Still waiting for the desert tan - everyone else has one. :shock:

Any idea of an 'officer's' size Ruger 1911? 3 1/2" barrel with a LW frame? :shock:

A long slide (6"), adj. sight 10mm steel frame would be interesting. Would have to fondle it to see if it 'felt right' in my hand. Would be a good 'woods gun'. Would have to handle heavy 'dangerous game' loads.

Terry T