Any Long Distance Ground Hog Hunters/Shooters on Here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HW11

Single-Sixer
I don't do much at all anymore. Our groundhog population is very low. We use to not have coyotes here. When they came that was the end of the groundhog for the most part.
I use an old Winchester mod 70. Blue action and heavy stainless barrel in .223. I think those rifles were only made in .223 and .308. It works best with a 60 gr V max bullet that I load. It was accurate with Berger bullets also but the bullet performance on game was not as good as I liked so I don't hunt with them. Most of the shooting around here can be done 200 yards and under. I have a few places that I can get in the low 400s. I started when you could still have a gun in your truck at school and nobody cared, you know the good old days. I would leave school and check bean fields on my way home. Back then I had a bolt action. 22 mag. Marlin. I tried to keep all my shots within a 100 yards.
An ice cold Mountain Dew, a honey bun and about 5 dollars worth of gas was all it took to hunt and have a great afternoon.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
As a teenager, part of our jobs were to keep the groundhogs from eating the beans so we hunted fairly seriously (mainly .22 lr, .17 rem, and.22-250.

Used to like it; I've not hunted them seriously for decades. When coyotes moved in, ground hog numbers dropped big time. The last shot I took was at about 100 yards with a scoped ruger mark 2 offhand. Shot felt good and groundhog disappeared beneath the beans at the shot; but couldn't find it so probably missed.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
As a teenager, part of our jobs were to keep the groundhogs from eating the beans so we hunted fairly seriously (mainly .22 lr, .17 rem, and.22-250.

Used to like it; I've not hunted them seriously for decades. When coyotes moved in, ground hog numbers dropped big time. The last shot I took was at about 100 yards with a scoped ruger mark 2 offhand. Shot felt good and groundhog disappeared beneath the beans at the shot; but couldn't find it so probably missed.

They can be tough little tanks.......shot many that somehow made it back to their hole and die right at the entrance.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I had a male Airedale that loved killin chuckie. He got several but they cost me vet bills for infections from their claws bein so dirty scratching the dog.
Last one I shot was with 6.5 Grendel at about 175yds. 120gr Nosler Ballistic tip exploded it into 3 pieces