another gun? random questions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Looking to buy another gun. No need for one, no real idea what I want. I have a OM .41 Mag and a NM .357 convertible, both in 6.5" barrels. And a 686 in 6" barrel. I reload. The .41 Mag would do all I want except that I would like some 170-180 coated bullets for it that are unavailable as far as I can tell. I load cowboy loads with the 215 grain but do not like the idea that they hit so much higher than the jacketed bullets in my gun. I have no plans to hunt with a handgun but really like the looks of the 7.5 inch Super Blackhawk Hunter on the Buds gun shop site and there is a Buds close by. I like the mounts because I have a red dot I could put on it. They list it in .41 Mag which I would probably get in that particular model.

Thought I wanted the stainless flat top .357 convertible but realize I am disappointed with the accuracy of the 9mm cylinder I have with my reloads. I would have to drive 700 miles round trip to look at it or to pick it up but that is not a huge problem. I could combine that trip with another I am going to make anyway. I suspect I will not like the slimmer grips on it anyway.

If I buy a .45 and send both cylinders to Doug guy will I get good accuracy with both? Or just buy it as a single cylinder gun? Except for the possibility of the SBH I am looking at shorter barrels.

I assume the .44 Special Blackhawk is the same weight and size as the .44 Mag? So no real advantage to the .44 Special as opposed to just shooting them in the .44 Mag?

I am open to suggestions here. I am pretty sure I am not going to spring for a Freedom Arms with several cylinders. I would like the be under about $1000.

Thinking about trying turning the ends off of some 215 grain coated bullets to get them to about 180 to see if they will print lower at cowboy velocities. Has anybody tried something like that? I did one just to see if it would work and it went okay. But slow. The coating seemed okay and there is a little of the nose of the bullet left beyond the belly of the bullet. Does a HP help aerodynamically or is it just for looks? The turning does leave a big flat area on the front. Not enough lead left for a shape.

Since you reload, have you thought about casting your own? I'm sure there is a mold manufacturer out there that makes (or can make) molds for the 170-180 gr bullets you want to load. You might also check over on the Cast Boolits web site. http://castboolits.gunloads.com

I know a lot of people cast their own and then powder coat them (very easy to do the powder coating) and it is explained on the Cast Boolits site and I also think here in the Reloading section.

As for another gun, sounds like you're sitting on the fence. I'd hold off until something jumps up and knocks you off the fence and you say that you just can't live without this gun you just saw. :D

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The .44 Special Blackhawk is the Flat Top and as such is made on the medium frame. It also has the XR-3 shaped grip frame, but grips will not interchange with the original Three Screw XR-3 grip frame.

Here, on the left, is the .45 NM Blackhawk, built on the .44 Magnum frame, and the .44 Special built on the medium frame. Close to the eye, but way different in the hand!

Bob Wright

22/45 Fan

Hunter
And now for something completely different.....how about a GP-100 with a 4.2" barrel? Weigand makes two lengths of Picatinny rails for it that are no-drill/no-tap and will nicely fit your red dot.

bogus bill

Hunter
Why not a single six in .32 H&R mag or 327? You already have heavy hitters. I have a .32 H&R mag in 4 5/8 and like it. It`s a sweetheart. Accurate, flat shooting and almost zero recoil. It does have a sharp report. Mine is the bottom one.

https://postimg.org/image/jusplly1r/

My question: If you don't know what you want, how will you know if you're happy with what you get? If you're buying something to fulfill a hole in your "Need" list, make sure you can really specify what that
need actually is. If you like simply shooting, I agree with a smaller caliber to give you a gun that is fun to shoot for a lot longer each time, and possibly cheaper too.

Don Lovel

Hunter
45 Colt/45 ACP in a 5 1/2" Bisley Vaquero would be nice. I find that the 5 1/2" guns in heavy recoil calibers like 44, 45 seems to be better balanced in my hand and Bisley grip sure helps on recoil
I would love to have a 3 1/2" birdshead grip Vaquero in 327Mag or 357 Mag
My real serious want is for a 3 1/2 or 4" GP in 10mm/40S&W moonclip loading

djw54

Single-Sixer
Don Lovel said:
I would love to have a 3 1/2" birdshead grip Vaquero in 327Mag or 357 Mag

Does the birds head single seven fill the bill, or do you really prefer the full size Vaquero, even for the 327?

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I don't know what I want either. I'm thinking I maybe am not feeling well. How can I not want/need another gun!?

OP, you may have a serious issue. Hopefully you will come to your senses and you will know what to buy. You are certainly on the right track, though, if you are looking at Blackhawks.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I must be a little off these days. Still have not bought a gun. Or really developed a strong feeling towards one.

I did cut some 215 coated bullets down to 172 grains and loaded them with Trail Boss. Got to shoot them today. Sweet. Very soft shooting and shot to about the same place as the 215 jacketed load I like. About normal for me accuracy. Lot of trouble to cut down and sort by weight. But it works. Not going to cast or coat bullets. Have not seen a mold. If I do it again I will try to set up something to make the cutting process more accurate to reduce weight variance. Have to decide it it is worth doing it. I know if I could buy these bullets I would lean strongly towards getting a short barreled .41 Mag.

I couldn't think of a gun I want off the top of my head. Usually I'm just looking at the classifieds or gunbroker or something and out of the clear blue sky, I see a gun I didn't even know I wanted. Don't worry, look hard enough, and you'll see the one you want.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
woodperson said:
If I buy a .45 and send both cylinders to Doug guy will I get good accuracy with both?

They will both be accurate if you size to .452" and are diligent with load development at the loading bench. There's nothing inherently inaccurate with the ACP cylinder in a revolver, they tend to like the long freebore when all the components are well matched.

One of the SWEETEST Ruger SA revolvers I have had my hands on in quite a while was a 4 5/8" blued steel Lipseys NMBH Convertible with the special thin white grip panels they shipped with, these revolvers were some of the best fit and finish I have EVER seen on a new Ruger, the cylinder throats are fairly consistent albeit a bit on the tight side, and the barrels I have examined from customers and from my own NMBH and NMV have shown ZERO thread choke which I thought very highly of.

I bought a NM Vaquero 45 Colt 5 1/2", and I procured a 45 ACP cylinder for it which I rechambered to 45 Schofield (before Osammy gave his EO turning simple gunsmithing into manufacturing), this is one of the sweetest revolvers I own. I can get a 250gr LBT WFN bullet to 1200fps using H110 and still stay under the 23,000psi pressure ceiling, and it is fun to shoot, not punishing at all, and will take deer like nobody's business. Great little medium framed trail gun..

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
woodperson said:
Looking to buy another gun. No need for one, no real idea what I want. I have a OM .41 Mag and a NM .357 convertible, both in 6.5" barrels. And a 686 in 6" barrel. I reload. The .41 Mag would do all I want except that I would like some 170-180 coated bullets for it that are unavailable as far as I can tell. I load cowboy loads with the 215 grain but do not like the idea that they hit so much higher than the jacketed bullets in my gun. I have no plans to hunt with a handgun but really like the looks of the 7.5 inch Super Blackhawk Hunter on the Buds gun shop site and there is a Buds close by. I like the mounts because I have a red dot I could put on it. They list it in .41 Mag which I would probably get in that particular model.

Thought I wanted the stainless flat top .357 convertible but realize I am disappointed with the accuracy of the 9mm cylinder I have with my reloads. I would have to drive 700 miles round trip to look at it or to pick it up but that is not a huge problem. I could combine that trip with another I am going to make anyway. I suspect I will not like the slimmer grips on it anyway.
If I buy a .45 and send both cylinders to Doug guy will I get good accuracy with both? Or just buy it as a single cylinder gun? Except for the possibility of the SBH I am looking at shorter barrels.

I assume the .44 Special Blackhawk is the same weight and size as the .44 Mag? So no real advantage to the .44 Special as opposed to just shooting them in the .44 Mag?

I am open to suggestions here. I am pretty sure I am not going to spring for a Freedom Arms with several cylinders. I would like the be under about $1000.

Thinking about trying turning the ends off of some 215 grain coated bullets to get them to about 180 to see if they will print lower at cowboy velocities. Has anybody tried something like that? I did one just to see if it would work and it went okay. But slow. The coating seemed okay and there is a little of the nose of the bullet left beyond the belly of the bullet. Does a HP help aerodynamically or is it just for looks? The turning does leave a big flat area on the front. Not enough lead left for a shape.

Woodperson,
Pay attention to your wife, If she is in an excellent mood, go buy a gun. If she is in a bad
mood, hide the guns. :p :D
Blackie