Another dog thread …. Belgian Malinois

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ride1949

Buckeye
Perfectly-Timed-Military-55.jpg

RC44Mag

Bearcat
I’m a GSD guy whos dog free at this time till we vacate NY. We plan on a new pup at that time, just have a cat at this time. The past couple years a Belgian has risen higher up on our want list. It’ll be a game time decision but can’t go wrong either way.
I’ll watch that vid Hittman later when I watch with the wife. Looking forward to it.

Wife's niece has one. He's kind of a big clown, likes attention and thinks he's a big lap dog most of the time.
About two words from his owner will turn him into a snarling home protector pretty quick. His automatic
response to someone at the door is nasty growling and some barking. Shuts right up and mellows out if
told to. Very agile and athletic dog, not too worried about hurting himself when he gets wound up.
He kinda has what I call a "turbo mode" sometimes when playing, tends to run over or bounce off stuff
when he's under boost.
I haven't had a dog for a few years now and the Malinois are tempting but thinking I want one that can do
long runs with me, just for companionship not protection. Seems like Vizsla, German Shorthairs...etc. are
better suited for it. Plus I'll be taking the dog to work with me and worry about the temperament of a
Malinois around the variety of people in and out all the time. Don't need one trying to herd the customers around.
Wife and I are still deciding if we want to commit to another dog right now.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I've seen them before. They are incredibly powerful, but also very obedient and human-friendly. Too big for me, though.

hittman

Staff member
… Malinois are tempting but thinking I want one that can do
long runs with me, just for companionship not protection. Plus I'll be taking the dog to work with me and worry about the temperament of a Malinois around the variety of people in and out all the time.
My son has one and runs with his 2 to 4 miles a day. Perfect companion for that.
However ….. around a variety of people? Umm…not so sure. Depends on the temperament of YOUR Mal.

A local lady has one as a service dog and he is as mellow as a Lab. Polar opposite of many.

My sons …. NO. He’s too focused on whoever he deems to be the Alpha. When my son has him….its my son. When the dog is with the wife and I …. Its me and he’s protective.

His dog Junior is 8 now and has mellowed a bit but as you said when that turbo boost kicks in ….. look out! LOL

They are usually a high maintenance dog craving WORK and more WORK and needing lots of attention and room to run and play.

Wvfarrier

Single-Sixer
I worked a Malinois as a LEO, I dont care for them. The GSD is a far better civilian working dog. The Mals were too high strung and required A LOT of maintenance

My son has one and runs with his 2 to 4 miles a day. Perfect companion for that.
However ….. around a variety of people? Umm…not so sure. Depends on the temperament of YOUR Mal.

A local lady has one as a service dog and he is as mellow as a Lab. Polar opposite of many.

My sons …. NO. He’s too focused on whoever he deems to be the Alpha. When my son has him….its my son. When the dog is with the wife and I …. Its me and he’s protective.

His dog Junior is 8 now and has mellowed a bit but as you said when that turbo boost kicks in ….. look out! LOL

They are usually a high maintenance dog craving WORK and more WORK and needing lots of attention and room to run and play.
It would get plenty of attention and socialization at work but I'd hate to get one and have it not being trustworthy around people.
The other issue is my long runs are more often between 18-24 mile range, often times in warm weather. Not sure the Mali can do that
even if conditioned up to it.
Still on the fence....

ole442

Single-Sixer
Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
It would get plenty of attention and socialization at work but I'd hate to get one and have it not being trustworthy around people.
The other issue is my long runs are more often between 18-24 mile range, often times in warm weather. Not sure the Mali can do that
even if conditioned up to it.
Still on the fence....

Heck, my long drives are between 18-27 mile range! My running days are long over! LOL

Malis are high drive and high energy dogs that need to have a job. When they do, they are much easier to manage.
You can decide which job to assign to the dog. They will do it all their waking hours. If you don't, the dog will decide for himself what his job is, and will do it all their waking hours. They have a great work ethic!

Early and consistent training is the key to raising the dog you want to own. If I weren't already a GSD guy, I would own Malinois. Smart, fast, loyal and fun. Plus, they shed far less than German Shepherds!

If I had kept all the hair shed by my GSDs over the last 10 years, I could knit a cover for my barn!

Early and consistent training is the key to raising the dog you want to own. If I weren't already a GSD guy, I would own Malinois. Smart, fast, loyal and fun. Plus, they shed far less than German Shepherds!

If I had kept all the hair shed by my GSDs over the last 10 years, I could knit a cover for my barn!
This is one reason actually leaning toward the Mali. Had a German Shepherd who shed enough fur to carpet a football field. He was a great
dog but we're not dealing with that much hair again and that breed can't handle the runs.

NetNathan

Bearcat
"While they both began as herding dogs, these two shepherds earn top marks in military, police, fire, and dog training positions. However, the Belgian Malinois is more prized than the German Shepherd, and this is likely rooted in the Malinois's consistency and willingness to stick with one job for a long period of time."
"The Belgian Malinois, also known as the Belgian Shepherd, is the predominant breed utilized by SEAL Teams. Favored for their intelligence, agility, loyalty, and stealth, Belgian Malinois are fierce and fast with acute vision."
Belgian Malinois is also noted as one of the smartest dogs in the world.

My choice, if you want a good loyal family dog, would be a German Shepard.
If you do not want a protector, I would get a Golden.

Last edited:

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I was a LEO K9 handler and worked GS. Trained with a few LEO K9 handlers who had malinois. Very intense, high drive dogs. Nothing against the Mals but I preferred to stick with my GS.
100%
I worked the street for 25 with Miami-Dade & while on perimeters have seen B.M.'s trot right past subjects 4 times who were laid up in bushes or elsewhere that later broke & ran after the dog passed. The 3 I've seen engage a violent suspect broke contact & ran around the pile-on after being kicked & punched by the suspects. I'd put my money a German Shepherd 6 days of the week & twice on Sundays. They don't miss a suspect & they don't quit when on bite unless they're dragged off.

Last edited:

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I worked a Malinois as a LEO, I dont care for them. The GSD is a far better civilian working dog. The Mals were too high strung and required A LOT of maintenance
100%
I worked the street for 25 with Miami-Dade & while on perimeters have seen B.M.'s trot right past subjects 4 times who were laid up in bushes or elsewhere that later broke & ran after the dog passed. The 3 I've seen engage a violent suspect broke contact & ran around the pile-on after being kicked & punched by the suspects. I'd put my money a German Shepherd 6 days of the week & twice on Sundays. They don't miss a suspect & they don't quit when on bite unless they're dragged off.