And now .357 ...Ruger Newsroom... Marlin 1894 .44 Mag !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

amishjeff

Bearcat
Here is my Marlin 1894 .44 mag carbine. Absolutely love shooting it. One gun I won't ever part with (hopefully).....

Attachments

• 20230622_074746.jpg
    20230622_074746.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 71

JBP

Single-Sixer
I have one of the original Marlin 1894 44 Spl/44 Mag. Goes well with my Ruger Super Blackhawk and Super Redhawk. When shooting it indoors always feed it 44 Spl.

ptypegreen

Single-Sixer
Miss the good old days. My dad bought a 1894C 357 Mag at Kmart for $179 plus tax in Dec 1980. I came home on leave a week later and they were on sale for $169 plus tax. Bought one, should have bought a bushel basket of them in hindsight. Already had the 1894 44 Mag for a few years. Love them both.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I have two JM 44s , pretty much had given up on the 357. Was at a time or two considering a Rossi , not sure on that. Read to many negatives on them .
I have had great luck with Rossi model 92s
I currently have an octagon barrel 45 Colt that shoots my heavy handloads very accurately and feeds and cycles great.
I used to have a 454 Puma and wish I still had it.
My son in law just bought a real nice 357 with laminate stock, larger lever and sight rail with peep sight

I have two JM 44s , pretty much had given up on the 357. Was at a time or two considering a Rossi , not sure on that. Read to many negatives on them .
I have not heard that many complaints on the Rossi, except about the front sight. I have one but have not shot it yet. I've heard more complaints about the Henry than the Rossi: feed issues and the twist rate.

Miss the good old days. My dad bought a 1894C 357 Mag at Kmart for $179 plus tax in Dec 1980. I came home on leave a week later and they were on sale for $169 plus tax. Bought one, should have bought a bushel basket of them in hindsight. Already had the 1894 44 Mag for a few years. Love them both.
Yep I still have the 357 I bought from Kmart in 1980. Well almost still have it. It now lives at Son's house along with a lot of my other stuff:)
5th from the left
1688572651131.png

KIR

Sparks, NV
Scuse ignorance, but if the rifle was originally made in 1894 or shortly thereafter? ...and supposed to be a classic, shouldn't it be an octagon barrel? Was lathing advanced enough in those days to not be so expensive to make the round barrels? Round barrels = lighter barrels, right?

Scuse ignorance, but if the rifle was originally made in 1894 or shortly thereafter? ...and supposed to be a classic, shouldn't it be an octagon barrel? Was lathing advanced enough in those days to not be so expensive to make the round barrels? Round barrels = lighter barrels, right?
The original 1894's were available with either a round or octagon barrel.

Continuing the conversation, the American Rifleman features the Ruger-Marlin 1894 and 336 in its latest issue.

Apparently they are a big hit. The 1894 is remaining nearly impossible to find.

The Ruger-Marlin 1895 (.45-70) was also scarce in the beginning, but now is fairly easy to find. Hopefully the market will saturate with the latest offerings and I'll actually find a new 1894 to buy.🤞🤞🤞🤞:cool:

Last edited:

TRanger

Blackhawk
I was able to pick up one of these for an even $1000. It has quickly become a great favorite; a bit trimmer in the fore end than the older models. Fit and finish is excellent. Ruger has done a fine job on these. Wish they had deleted the crossbolt safety, but I took care of that myself.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I believe with some looking you can find an original J. M. Marlin for less than the current MSRP. Maybe when they get some production numbers out there, real-world prices will be a little less than that.
The one I have now I paid in the $600 range for about 6 years ago. It's a 1971 saddle ring carbine. The one I had back in the early 80s I swapped a 336W .30-30 that I had $100 in (the one with the non-walnut "hardwood" stock) even for it to an old man I worked with. He said the .44 kicked too hard and he preferred the .30-30.

radshop

Bearcat
Glad to see these are back. I probably won't buy one since I already have a couple 1894s, but still good to see the classic making a comeback. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but for sure less than $400 each for my .44 and .45 1894s - they were the Big 5 Sporting Goods models, so the stocks are a lower quality non-Walnut hardwood, but fine for me. I was doing cowboy action back then, so I tuned them up and they are super slick to shoot. For some reason I never figured out, I'm slightly more accurate with the .44. In the "if you could only have 1 gun" games, it's in my top 3 for sure if not number 1.

Glad to see these are back. I probably won't buy one since I already have a couple 1894s, but still good to see the classic making a comeback. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but for sure less than $400 each for my .44 and .45 1894s - they were the Big 5 Sporting Goods models, so the stocks are a lower quality non-Walnut hardwood, but fine for me. I was doing cowboy action back then, so I tuned them up and they are super slick to shoot. For some reason I never figured out, I'm slightly more accurate with the .44. In the "if you could only have 1 gun" games, it's in my top 3 for sure if not number 1.
I am also pleased to read of this wonderful resurrection of the .357. I have a couple, so I don't necessarily need another, so I'll wait impatiently for the .44.:unsure:

For those who've not experienced a .357 carbine, they are quite wonderful.(y)

mjh

Single-Sixer
So do I buy one? Hold out for a stainless model? Go buy a Henry All Weather? What about a Dark or X???

Whatever I do I better start putting back some coin cause it's gonna cost a few bucks.