An "Outside the Box Dream Sixgun"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2 dogs

Buckeye
I realize there is already a thread for "Dream Sixguns" from Ruger. Lots of great ones in there too. But I have a little something different in mind. Maybe you will humor me for a minute and try this one on, perchance you will think enough of this idea that it will rate it's own discussion thread.

I think Ruger should build a Freedom Arms 97 frame size revolver with a cylinder about the same length or even a shade longer that will accept Bisley parts!

Think about this. FA shoehorns the 45 Colt, 44 Special in 5 shot guise in those 97s and 38/357 and 32/327 in 6 shot as well as others. They however do not do the 40, 10mm, or 38-40, which would be just excellent if they did.

I know the first thought would be, go buy a FA97. Well, I have. I have had all all four of the above and all had auxillary cylinders except the 44 special. All were gone through by Bob Baker. But unfortunately, I just can't manage to get along with their frame. My hands want a Bisley gripframe.

Just think of the custom possibilites....

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
2 dogs said:
I realize there is already a thread for "Dream Sixguns" from Ruger. Lots of great ones in there too. But I have a little something different in mind. Maybe you will humor me for a minute and try this one on, perchance you will think enough of this idea that it will rate it's own discussion thread.

I think Ruger should build a Freedom Arms 97 frame size revolver with a cylinder about the same length or even a shade longer that will accept Bisley parts!

Think about this. FA shoehorns the 45 Colt, 44 Special in 5 shot guise in those 97s and 38/357 and 32/327 in 6 shot as well as others. They however do not do the 40, 10mm, or 38-40, which would be just excellent if they did.

I know the first thought would be, go buy a FA97. Well, I have. I have had all all four of the above and all had auxillary cylinders except the 44 special. All were gone through by Bob Baker. But unfortunately, I just can't manage to get along with their frame. My hands want a Bisley gripframe.

Just think of the custom possibilites....
The beauty, and the agony, of the free market is the nearly infinite choices one has. :D I sincerely hope that does not go away. :D

2 dogs

Buckeye
Just think of all the cartridges we "shoehorn" into the Single Six would be right at home in a frame sized between the Flattop and the Single Six.

I speak from firsthand experience. From my experience with the big case 32s, I learned a 135 grain cast hollow point in excess of 1500 fps. Quite a performer in the field this! However, case capacity requirements dictated a .400" nose to crimp bullet. This was far too long for the Single Six. I spent considerable time and money to build a very high quality Flattop OM. We used all of the Croft LW tricks. Frame scallops, long flut s, drilled gripframe, skeleton hammer you name it. Still, the overall weight taken off did not reduce it to a lightweight.

Then there's all the mid size cartridges to consider...starting with the 25-20...

dougader

Hunter
I'd love a Ruger Bisley in the size of the FA 97... in addition to your listed goodies, imagine an FA 97 with a Bisley hammer!

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree that the idea of a FA 97 sized Bisley is a good one. I'd also like to see the same frame size as the 357 Max with the Bisley,,,,! Talk about a "window" of opportunity!

2 dogs

Buckeye
dougader said:
I'd love a Ruger Bisley in the size of the FA 97... in addition to your listed goodies, imagine an FA 97 with a Bisley hammer!

Doug, Rob Barnes did one. Alan Harton did the work. Can't remember if it was on the large or small frame FA tho...

It was on the larger model 83. It took a couple of attempts to get it to where it looked acceptable but the tall action of top strap just above the hammer well on a FA makes it a challenge aesthetically.

dougader

Hunter
Robb Barnes said:
It was on the larger model 83. It took a couple of attempts to get it to where it looked acceptable but the tall action of top strap just above the hammer well on a FA makes it a challenge aesthetically.
I remember. Didn't Alan say he never wanted to do another one?

Well he didn't say he wouldn't but it is not something he wants to advertise as an option. Besides, he is limiting his work to Colt ans USFA style single actions now. I talked to him earlier this week and he is loving just focusing on the older style guns. A much more enjoyable pace of life he said.