American Rifleman

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just received my copy and started scrolling though it. Just for the devil of it I started counting pages with ads on them. The mag has 72 pages plus the cover pages there were 30 pages with ads. That figures out to about 40% of the mag is ads.

Sirdutch

Bearcat
The whole idea behind a magazine is income generation. Money is the blood and guts of lobbying and is needed to push an agenda. The agenda is, or should be, for us to retain our 2nd Amendment inalienable rights to defend ourselves against a renegade government bent on controlling it's citizenry and to introduce that laudable concept to the young who, if convinced that we need to hand over our freedoms for the Orwellian concept of security by a central authoritarian government, will vote to enslave themselves and us.

This magazine is a small but important part of preserving the NRA. Ideas to improve "The American Rifleman" or the other magazines is an honorable debate. However, if the magazines lose money, both paper and digital, then the face of the NRA dissapears as well. If anything we need a bigger presence in the marketplace of ideas. Anyone have any good ideas how to do that,? Please chime in. 💡

Magazines can be great and informative, or they can be commercial successes. The American Riflemen started out and for many years was the place to go for good technical information. and it was pretty go up unto the 1970's. It slowly became more and more of " pay us for ads and we'll send them to all our members in the form of an in house magazine" The articles are no better than the newsstand rags any more. Unfortunately that usually happens as the ads are what pays the publishers, not the subscription fees. There were some awfully good magazines and there still are a few. When Dave Wolf held the reins at Wolf Publishing "Rifle" and "Handloader" were great magazines but were not great moneymakers. After Dave left they have become commercial successes but are no better that G & A or Shooting times any more.
One magazine with a historical bent that I have found to be consistently good. is "Man at Arms for the Gun and Sword Collector"

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
When we used to visit the in-laws, they always had the television on. So I timed one of the cable channels that often showed movies. The pattern was 7 minutes of movie, 4 minutes of commercials, 7, 4, 7, 4…

I read about 25% of the magazine, and even some of the ads. Unfortunately I don't have the involvement anymore to read about calibers I have no interest in, or supressors, nifty lights etc. But I consider the AR to be an extra spiff for my yearly contribution toward maintaining my 2A rights. Let them get their ads and keep on running

Yep, magazines (and their cousins, the daily newspapers) are going the way of baseball cards. Their medium - paper - makes them more difficult to read on-the-fly than internet-based news articles. And the cost of that paper forces newspaper owners to charge more and more for less and less.

Newspapers are circling the toilet, and their demise was hastened by new/used car advertisers' switch from paper to the internet. AR and other paper magazines demise may be slower than the newspapers, but only because the gun makers find it more difficult to place their ads in lefty-controlled internet media.

[Note: in the 1990s I was CFO of baseball card companies Donruss and Pinnacle Brands. The 1994 baseball players' strike was the mortal wound that killed baseball cards. Why? Because the strike chased away fans (particularly boys between the ages of 8 and 15) from the sport, and compelled them to look elsewhere - the internet - for entertainment (video games, etc.). My comments about the declining popularity/effectiveness of print media are based on my experience.]

bobski

Hunter
this would explain why no one wants to buy my 80 years worth.
gotta admit, back in the 40-50's they wrote REAL articles of interest.

no one carries a newspaper under their armpit anymore...including magazines. only place i see them still is in a barbershop. and they are all at least 3 years old.

It has been a long time since I found an article worth reading in American Rifleman. I was getting it electronically to save the NRA the cost of postage. Last week I canceled the electronic copy as well. As a kid I read my grandpa's copies over and over again. Back in the late 60s it was a great source of information.

It has always been about making money and being able to pay for more... what ever that might be... with the NRA... lobbying and Wayne's 'expenses'... News we get from where ever...TV or the internet is no different... the law suit against FOX proved that.... all news channels filter what news they think their viewers WANT to see... and that is not just FOX but all the others... FOX just took it a step further and allowed two talking heads to keep reporting a lie that they, their bosses, knew was a lie... but then some of you still believe it.... sorry....

A long time ago I worked in radio as an announcer... the day before Christmas I averaged 52 minutes of ads in an hour.

Latest posts