American now on Closeout?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958 said:
Darn. Gettin' a little testy around here.

Nh Rugerman said:
CDNN is now a RUGER distributor and so they have access to Ruger's entire line...think whatever you will. And believe whatever rumors you like.....

Did you here that from someone who knows what they are talking about or just passing on What you heard? The RAP exceeded all the requirements of the new Modular Pistol Program and you can do a little research and verify that if you are interested. The reason Ruger will probably decide to not enter the RAP into the trials is a simple decision based on the best interests of their stockholders which they are lawfully obligated to protect, winning the competition doesn't guarantee your awarded contract. You are obligated to give up the rights to allow the least expensive vendor to build the gun. (Think Armalite Rifle design and Colt manufacture)

If you don't own the gun and you don't have the facts...all is speculatation, which is worthless to me, but we shall see in the end...

I value the opinions of those who own the gun and those you KNOW THE FACTS...TOO MANY ARMCHAIR EXPERTS spread false or made up stories...self fulfilling prophecies...based on bias and no personal experience...

Oh, and BTW - Ruger sold 20000 RAP pistols prior to their announcement in January and have since shipped almost that many more....*****(deleted by request) pistols in two months time...a real failure....I'll bet CZ, SIG and Springfield wish they could FAIL like that :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

This is what I've read as well. This may be the first "GOOD" semi-auto pistol Ruger has made in a long time. I just snagged a NEW Sig P250 today on a whim for a little over $300. I'll try to get a RAP comparison and range report soon.

hittman said:
https://www.sofmag.com/ruger-ceo-mike-fifer-on-the-ruger-american-pistol/

...... the development team initially dug into the U.S. Military's Joint Combat Pistol Specification, and then the subsequent Modular Handgun System (MHS) program, with the goal of producing a pistol that would meet or exceed the military's requirements.

...... Ruger says users will need to exert about 6 lbs. of trigger pressure for a clean, crisp break. The trigger completes its reward journey by coming to rest against a small over-travel stop molded into the trigger guard. The pistol evaluated for this review exhibited a 5-lb., 14-oz. trigger pull which was in line with its specifications.

...... Thanks to the light take-up and clean break, the trigger was smooth and comfortable to work. The click of the short trigger reset was certainly present but not quite as distinctive as with some other designs. This subtlety of the trigger reset was not a deal breaker, even though it took a while to get a feel for it.

...... how often can high pressure ammunition be fired before causing significant levels of wear and tear? ...... one of the company's primary goals in adhering to military standards while developing the American Pistol was to ensure that every component would successfully survive 20,000 rounds of firing without the need for replacement or repair. Not only did the Ruger American Pistol meet this standard it flew right past it with over 25,000-rounds of 9×19 mm NATO ammunition fired (the military round operates at near +P pressure levels).

Bench rested five-shot groups demonstrated solid defensive accuracy with group sizes averaging right around 3" at 25 yds.

My cz 75 stainless slide stop broke at 30k rounds. I read carbon steel ones (black poly-cote) ones hold up better.

Not a big deal. CZ custom sent me a replacement for free.

Love my CZs, Sigs and Berettas. I'll have time to test a new RAP soon. I'm sure it'll hold up! A lot of great guns coming out this year!

revhigh

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
Nh Rugerman said:
The RAP exceeded all the requirements of the new Modular Pistol Program and you can do a little research and verify that if you are interested.

Please post a link showing this data.

Also please provide a link showing 40,000 RAP's sold so far ... I could find nothing on that subject.

Thx

REV

So ... Nobody has a link(s) to verify the claims above ?

REV

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone post a link that verifies mohavesam's earlier claim that the RAP failed to produce adequate accuracy, either. Or are we only interested in verifying information that we don't agree with?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I hope we can agree all information is not posted somewhere on the interweb?
Sometimes ya just have to get out and talk with people. Over a cold one. or two.

- the OP was quite possibly CDNN buying a specific run or even a "pre-revision" or cleanup lot. There are myriad reasons available. BUt as Davidsons shos none available and CDNN shows (12) today, well

revhigh

Hawkeye
19ontheslide said:
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone post a link that verifies mohavesam's earlier claim that the RAP failed to produce adequate accuracy, either. Or are we only interested in verifying information that we don't agree with?

I'd like to see BOTH SIDES verified ... It's only fair.

REV

As Mohavesam states correctly above, not all that is known is publicly available....some members of the forum are privy to information that is not public...yet..

Fairness is always important as is respect of privacy, protection of sources...and difference of opinion...which is mostly what we share on this forum...(in my opinion)

YMMV.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The current American Rifleman has a feature on it with accuracy testing. AR is excessively complimentary but I enjoy reading it anyway. I found it very funny how they had a huge spread on the LCP when it first came out, then some time later they had a basic Dope Bag article on the Kel-Tec P3AT, although the latter predates the former.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
The current American Rifleman has a feature on it with accuracy testing. AR is excessively complimentary but I enjoy reading it anyway. I found it very funny how they had a huge spread on the LCP when it first came out, then some time later they had a basic Dope Bag article on the Kel-Tec P3AT, although the latter predates the former.
Kel-Tec's had very checkered appraisals in their early days and weren't taken seriously for quite a while. I have a P3AT and it's been fine but I always considered it a bit lucky. Ruger basically made the design credible.

5of7

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
FergusonTO35 said:
Kel-Tec's had very checkered appraisals in their early days and weren't taken seriously for quite a while. I have a P3AT and it's been fine but I always considered it a bit lucky. Ruger basically made the design credible.

Personally I never took the .380 seriously because the recoil of a blow-back .380 is as heavy or worse than a 9MM.

After trying the LCP with it's locked breech design, I could see the value in a 10oz handgun that didn't hurt my hand when I shot it.....ever if it is in a caliber that remains marginal for PD.

I have one and it gets carried more that the 9MM, which, to me at least, fulfills the first rule of PD, IE "always have a gun with you." 8)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
5of7 said:
Personally I never took the .380 seriously because the recoil of a blow-back .380 is as heavy or worse than a 9MM.

After trying the LCP with it's locked breech design, I could see the value in a 10oz handgun that didn't hurt my hand when I shot it.....ever if it is in a caliber that remains marginal for PD.

I have one and it gets carried more that the 9MM, which, to me at least, fulfills the first rule of PD, IE "always have a gun with you." 8)
The Kel-Tec P3AT, and it's P-32 .32 ACP twin, are both locked breech designs and, as noted, the LCP is very nearly a direct copy.

You are quite right about blow-back .380. Even relatively heavy ones like the Sig P-232 have unpleasantly sharp recoil.

ddown

Bearcat
24 years active army much on the ranges and i never heard of military "cone of fire" requirement. The had a 50 meter accuracy requirement. MTBF thats mean time before failure requirement. But I looked at last two sets of weapons testing specs can't find "cones of fire". Just researched "cone of fire" has to do with laying down suppressive fire with machine guns as taught at West Point and U.S. Army Infantry school as far as I can tell doesn't have a thing to do with a pistol.

The RAP is actually a good gun Rev. Not as good as my CZ75s or Sig P226s, but = to the Sig P320 I shot it against. Better than a lot of others on the market.

A closeout can occur when the current inventory is near completion and they're ready to process another order, it doesn't mean that gun is discontinued. Lol

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
The RAP is actually a good gun Rev. Not as good as my CZ75s or Sig P226s, but = to the Sig P320 I shot it against. Better than a lot of others on the market.

A closeout can occur when the current inventory is near completion and they're ready to process another order, it doesn't mean that gun is discontinued. Lol

Hey DA !

I haven't posted to this thread in close to 6 months. Why address me ?

And if it's not as good as a 75 or 226 I ain't interested in the least, especially when I already own 75's and 226's. :D

I also said it wasn't on close out !

REV

Mike J

Hunter
I like the RAP I got for my wife & more importantly she likes it. It is a good gun. I don't think it is the nicest ever made but it is definitely functional. I also like the fact that it doesn't have the magazine disconnect that has been the bane of Ruger semiautos for the last several years. They don't seem to be taking the market by storm but time will tell. To be honest after everyone has been buying like crazy for the last 8 years I suspect the market to be somewhat saturated.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Well, I think it's one of the best looking semi-autos Ruger has put together to date. I would buy one, but have never been a Ruger pistol fan myself, but love their rifles.

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
usmc6433-6437 said:
Well, I think it's one of the best looking semi-autos Ruger has put together to date. I would buy one, but have never been a Ruger pistol fan myself, ...
Nor have I. Always loved their revolvers. In fact: An Old Model Single Six Convertible was my very first own firearm.

But, with my experience with the LCP, I'm willing to give Ruger's auto-loaders another look. Right now I'm tentatively saving for an SR1911 LW "Commander" in 9mm. (I need to see the reported mag issues go away, first.) I'll probably get over to a local place and give the RAP a try, but I'd need to see it in a "compact" version, suitable of concealed carry, before I'd consider buying.

DNS

Bearcat
Every one I talked to about the 45 rap has said they would buy one if held only two more rounds. I think they will miss out if they don't release an extended mag.