Alox Tutorial Please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I have on hand a quantity of both .41 and .44 cal Keith hard cast bevel based bullets. They are lubed with a blue crayon type lube. I get leading with Unique, not so much with H 110.

Today I found some Javelina brand Alox 2138F Beeswax bullet lubricant and bought four 1&5/8 oz cakes.

How do you use this stuff? No directions were included.

I am thinking I would put the bullets in a pan, upright, and melt the alox around them. Should I try and remove the blue crayon stuff first?

Thanks

wheezengeezer

Bearcat
I am in the same boat about hard lube on some of my bullets.Best results will require removing the hard lube.It can be removed by boiling them in water.Pan lubing will work,sorta.You said a bevel base Keith.They sound like run of the mill commercial SWC's.The bevel base is harder to damage during handling and the lube stays put.After pan lubing the bevel base will require the removal of the lube to ensure no powder contamination. The problem could be the bullet size.The heavier load bumps up to seal and the lighter load does not and allows gas cutting.

EDK

Single-Sixer
Go over to marlinowners.com and look for the forum on cast bullets sponsored by RANCH DOG. There's a sticky on the top on how he processes his boolits. Do some reading over at castboolits.gunloads.com also.

I would suggest that you just get a bottle of LEE LIQUID ALOX and tumble lube your boolits as they are...the extra lube won't hurt. Read the RANCH DOG instructions and modify process as needed. ALOX is interesting stuff...when you tumble lube, if you can see it very well, you probably put on too much! You can also dilute the with mineral spirits...works just as well and dries a lot faster.

Pan lubing can be a PITA. LLA is great for people who don't want to invest in a lubricator/sizer.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
OK this is where I have to come clean. I am an idiot. I have been wanting to get some Alox for the above described leading. My simple brain read "Alox" when it should have been looking for Lee Liquid Alox.

I though I found a deal and what I found was some good bow string wax. Thanks for the help, heads up. I will order some Lee Liquid Alox.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
Geeze but it's great to be appreciated.

My limited understanding is that for the lubrisizer to work I would have to not have any lube on the bullets. I just am not going to take the time to scrape all that stuff off of 800+ bullets.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Cracker-American said:
OK this is where I have to come clean. I am an idiot. I have been wanting to get some Alox for the above described leading. My simple brain read "Alox" when it should have been looking for Lee Liquid Alox.

I though I found a deal and what I found was some good bow string wax. Thanks for the help, heads up. I will order some Lee Liquid Alox.

Try Recluse 45-45-10 Mix, Works great for me! :D .......................

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654