price check on rifle primers please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobski

Hunter
I know things are crazy these days, but just curious to know what my 5000 large rifle primers would fetch today.
whats the fair value and what do scalpers go for?
I don't plan on selling it off. I don't do orm-d stuff.
and I don't load for my M1A anymore, so its just sitting here collecting dust.
they are win k4009p/no.8 1/2-120's.

NikA

Buckeye
My experience locally is that pistol primers sell instantly at 100$/k and rifle primers tend to sit at that price. The "fair" price from suppliers that are very rarely in stock seems to be in the high 40$ range; the free market/"scalper" price seems to be north of 100$ for pistol/small rifle and maybe 80-90$ for large rifle. At least around here; I recently traded a few thousand small and large pistol for large pistol and rifle (reduced the number of brands I have).

PS: I'm not selling any primers but I don't blame people selling them for selling them at 100$/k. They're difficult to replace even at that price and if I needed them desperately, I wouldn't have time seek them out at a lower price.

NikA

Buckeye
Shotshell primers were more expensive under previously normal conditions (more metal per primer equals more expensive to manufacture). Haven't seen any locally or looked hard as I don't load shotgun.

What's the obsession with squeezing every drop of value out of something you're not intending to use? If you need shotshell primers and can trade rifle primers you're not going to use at a reasonable rate, I'd do it. It's not as if you could buy them at a reasonable rate otherwise.

bobski

Hunter
I am.
I just don't want to label myself as ignorant for any future deals.
I just wanted some current insight. afterall, knowledge is power.

gb is not my friend. orm-d s&h ruins it.

thanks to all.

contender

Ruger Guru
In general,, all primers seem to be selling in the $80-$100 per brick of 1000 primers in many places. (More for small pistol & small rifle,) BUT,, the honest shops & all who get a shipment from the distributors are not selling for that much. My preferred shop ONLY adds 10% to any & all of his stuff. He's a small shop,, and knows that by being honest,, he will have business all the time because he doesn't believe in gouging folks. And he doesn't rely upon his gun business for his livelihood.

So, if selling,, now it's a sellers market. If buying,, you will hurt for a while,, until supply catches the demands,, and that may be a year or more.

mikld

Blackhawk
FWIW; If push really comes to shove, a real emergency, you can reload shotshell primers with large rifle primers. BTDT, out of curiosity. Just push the used primer out of the battery cup and push in a new one then reprime the shells. It's been several years, but I may have used large pistol primers. One method that worked was to push the empty battery cup into a shell then push the new primer in. I did about 20 and they all fired in my 12 ga. pump...

RSIno1

Hunter
ORM-D doesn't work for primers and powder. Those have to go as hazardous for an extra fee. Loaded ammo can go ORM-D. FedX and UPS may also not ship them for private sellers without hazmat training.

From a reloading products seller:
Shipping Requirements for Hazardous Materials
Powder and Primers require a Hazardous Material Handling Fee. $18.50 Hazmat Fee for UPS, $18.50 for Fedex (Signature Require) or $18.50 SpeeDee delivery, you choose carrier at checkout. To keep shipping costs to a minimum, powder and primers may be shipped together. Total powder weight cannot exceed 32 lbs. per shipping box. Total primer variety cannot exceed three types. Total shipping box weight cannot exceed 70 lbs. Hazardous Materials require an adult signature for delivery. ID may be required at delivery for proof of age. In the event that the package is not delivered after 3 attempts or refused, the customer will be responsible for all associated shipping charges including hazmat fee. This fee is not required for primed hulls or loaded ammunition. No hazardous materials shipments outside of the 48 contiguous states.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Bobski,
Try putting a "want to trade" ad on midwest gun trader. Its a free site and Mo. and Ks. are the most active areas. Ive had good luck using the site.

Latest posts