Aged 44 Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Dad and I went shooting Sunday and my flattop 44 Special touched 2,000 rounds. I've only owned it since November so you can imagine how much I've enjoyed the gun. It has quickly become my favorite stock Ruger.

Anyways, I really like worn old models, especially the flattops. Not having the patience to age it legitimately I cheated:

I mimicked the wear patterns of a 1958 357 I've been keeping for a project. Using 1500 grit wet sand paper I went slow and completed the antiquing with steel wool. It took less than an hour to do and I'm pleased the end result.

Lee Martin

Hunter
Thanks guys. And yep, Cary did the grips and I have no plans to age those (that would be sacrilege). The look I was after is an old gun treated to new wood.

TKLyden

Bearcat
I knew I should not have looked at this post .I will be placing my order for one in the morning.This is becoming quite an addiction.

OMG, that one could easily blur the demarcation line and add fuel to the never-ending Old New Model vs New Old Model thingy.

Neat effort, Lee. I really like it. I've even thought of doing something similar to a "post-1962 Old Model" -- gasp, sacrilege -- just for the heck of it. Maybe even to the extent of a little "browning" effect.

:) :) :)

Lee Martin

Hunter
Thanks guy and yep, this gun gets shot a lot. I load light however; 6.0 of Green Dot with a 250 grain Keith to be exact. At that level it should last a lifetime.

And the aging wasn't too risky. We do our own bluing so if it didn't turn out to my liking we could refinish it.

5of7

Hunter
OMG! Do I see a turn ring on that gun?

And here I always thought that you knew how to 'properly' handle a revolver......seriously though, I think it looks good too..... Although I might not have gone quite that far, it does give it that 'faithful companion" look.

Lee's Ruger version of pre-washed jeans. 8)

Um . . . it's a New Model.

They all get the turn ring, unless modified internally.

:wink:

Hey . . . "faithful companion" . . . it's the "Kemo Sabe" gun!!!!

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Ale-8 is correct. There's no way around the turn ring unless you modify the guts. We do just that on our customs but I left this one as is.

The only thing about this finish (or lack there of) is corrosion. This gun gets a generous dose of industrial grade oil though so it should be fine.

A

Anonymous

Ale-8(1) said:
There are still many folks who are not aware of this "feature" of the New Models...
;)

What's a "New Model Ruger"? Oh, never mind, I remember now...was just having a senior moment. They're those guns they started making back in the mid- to late-seventies when they phased out the real Ruger single actions.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
It does look good to me also. It's kinda like the love of your life and makes you want to hold and caress it. I think Ruger has some of you guys on a sales retainer :). CMH has "And on the eighth day God gave us the 44 special and the Bisley grip......perfection :)" well I have always been a Bisley man with the 45 Colt but I just couldn't shake yall's 44 Flattop rants and "On the eighth day God gave us" so when I saw one on GunBroker with my OCD mind and I couldn't help myself. She was so beautiful I just had to hold her in my hands. I couldn't help myself and made one poke at the starting bid price and won the auction as nobody else bid on it. With nobody else bidding She was just meant for my hands only. It was love at first sight so I drove the 110 miles one way to pick her up the next day which was yesterday. On the way home I sat her in the leather seat beside me so I could caress her and look at her all I wanted to. My "On the eighth day perfection" is a deep blue almost black 4&5/8 Flattop with Bisley Rosewood Grips. After holding her this morning I finally forced myself to cock it twice and test the trigger. I know how Robin Meade's husband must feel cause it's hard to keep my hands and eyes off her :) so I have named my "perfection" Robin :)