Advise on "Bear Protection" .357 mag loads.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hugh

Buckeye
I go with Ruffbird on this one. Three large and potentially dangerous critters in the lower 48; big bear, elk, and moose. It's doubtful that a person can outrun any one of the three.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I forgot to add that I purchased a box of Cor-Bon 200gr HC and those were impressive out of my little SP-101 DAO. :lol:

stantheman86

Buckeye
The answer is always "get a bigger gun" to any of these questions...... :oops:

Sometimes getting a bigger gun is not an option, the OP wants to know how to make the best use out of what he already has. Not everyone can just go out and drop $600 for a new gun these days.......

People here in PA have used .357 to hunt Black Bear and whitetail,but a black bear is smaller and generally less aggressive than a Grizzly or Kodiak.

I think the CorBon or Buffalo Bore ultra stout "Ruger and Freedom Arms only" loads should at least provide a fighting chance against a larger bear.

If I'm not mistaken the Blackhawk will allow longer bullets that won't fit in a GP100.

Like how some questions such as "which is the best 9mm ammo for defense" and there are always answers like "get a .45"........ :roll:

coloradofarmboy

Bearcat
When it comes to the debate of calibers for bears, I am interested to know how many have actually shot a bear particularly in self defense. (as opposed to hunting). I've never done so, but those that I know who have go for BIG rifles and use handguns as a lessor/secondary option.

The blackies that I have shot have been relatively tough animals and they just don't go down because you make a big boom and hit them in the torso. Expect it to be much worse with the other variants of bears, but that's in a hunt... if they are P.O.ed, you can expect a bear to be even that much harder to stop especially when it is sitting on your chest and chewing on your shooting arm. Make sure you pack a hefty bag so that search and rescue has something to collect what's left of you when it is all said and done.

In the bush I carry my .45 Colt loaded hot and heavy, but my first grab is a large bore rifle such as a 45/70. The reason for this is that I want the deck stacked as much in my favor as possible. If I'm dead, there's no point in debating how much more gun I needed, because there is no second prize for being close.

Don't forget to practice, practice, practice at snap shooting, ideally with moving targets. You might have five or so seconds in many cases to place your shots after you spot which direction the critter is coming from particularly if it has a predatory nature.

Bottom-line, avoidance is the best option. The stakes are high and it might not even work out with even the largest of calibers. This is a real drag as you don't get to do a reboot and start over.

LAH

Buckeye
FWIW: When I go in the woods here the largest thing I'll face is a black bear. If I carry a 357 its with a Lyman 358429 & 15 grs. of H-110.

IF you insist on 357 Mag and IF it's blackies and with a perfect shot, this would be the absolute minimum round I would use........IMHO

357ammo002.jpg

Dave :wink:

the fatman

Single-Sixer
stantheman86 said:
The answer is always "get a bigger gun" to any of these questions...... :oops:

Sometimes getting a bigger gun is not an option, the OP wants to know how to make the best use out of what he already has. Not everyone can just go out and drop $600 for a new gun these days.......

People here in PA have used .357 to hunt Black Bear and whitetail,but a black bear is smaller and generally less aggressive than a Grizzly or Kodiak.

I think the CorBon or Buffalo Bore ultra stout "Ruger and Freedom Arms only" loads should at least provide a fighting chance against a larger bear.

If I'm not mistaken the Blackhawk will allow longer bullets that won't fit in a GP100.

Like how some questions such as "which is the best 9mm ammo for defense" and there are always answers like "get a .45"........ :roll:
I agree not everyone can handle a hand cannon or carry a rifle or stinger missile. Some people just want to maximize what they have. I wonder how many people go into the woods unarmed and make it home safely? Some times you take a risk if you want to do some thing. I go to the shark bite capital of the world to enjoy the ocean. So far have only seen a barracuda come up from the sand bar to check things out. Am I worried about sharks you bet but I like the ocean. If I get bit I hope it dies from all the cholesterol. :lol: If I wanted to hike in a woods and only had a 357 I'd pick the best load and hope for the best. Most of my trips into the woods I worried more about running into some bodies drug business then the wild life. Like they say to each their own. James ps On a different note bring some one along you know you can out run. Rub a little bacon grease on part of their clothes. :wink:

I find it very interesting that you asked essentially the same question last August, and got essentially the same answers . . . eight pages of them.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=92657&highlight=

Even more interesting, is that you then decided to pack a Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum, and a can of bear spray.

:lol: :roll: :lol:

COR

Blackhawk
Yeah...I remembered that too and I had tried to stay quiet...

Sounds like someone likes to see a little drama...some may call it being a troublemaker...Stop feeding the troll and responding to this same stuff. :roll:

Knuckles

Buckeye
It's not exactly the same question this time... but the answers seem to be rolling out the same. :)

annasophia

Bearcat
This isn't the same question I asked on my thread last year about a .44mag..... The reason being is that a .357 isn't the same caliber now is it? I didn't ask to start a poll to see how many people think I should just carry a bigger gun, or my favorite... When people start recommending that I not step foot off pavement without packing a rifle or 12ga shotgun. I often wonder if the people who say stuff like that ever go hiking at all, being that they apparently prefer to pack 30 pounds of firearms and another 5 pounds of ammo. Then there's always the few guys who just can't not be a smartass no matter who asks a question here. It kind of makes me wonder why I bother asking any honest questions here.

I'm a female with a petite build and I don't feel all that comfortable with my super Blackhawk, because after a few boxes if ammo, i've decided it's probably more gun than I can reliably handle with heavy loads while under quick pressure. This is why I'm going to stick with .357 mag...... And also why I started this thread asking specific questions about a .357 mag.... Not about .44's or .45's or rifles or even shotguns. There are lots of people here that "know so much" about everything that I should be doing instead of carrying a "little .357" that it's amazing I can even manage to tie my own shoes. It's as if I'm really just hiking around the African savanna with nothing but my red rider BB gun I had when I was six. None of this is directed towards the few people that actually posted thoughtful, helpful info on this thread.... But the rest here are likely so above themselves that they don't even recognize that I'm actually talking to them.

-Anna Sophia

coloradofarmboy

Bearcat
annasophia said:
I didn't ask to start a poll to see how many people think I should just carry a bigger gun, or my favorite... When people start recommending that I not step foot off pavement without packing a rifle or 12ga shotgun. I often wonder if the people who say stuff like that ever go hiking at all, being that they apparently prefer to pack 30 pounds of firearms and another 5 pounds of ammo.

Yup, have carried my Guide gun many, many miles hiking and hunting. I don't carry the amounts of ammo that some people do because I am not going to get into a firefight with an animal and my gun certainly doesn't weigh 30 pounds.

I'm a female with a petite build and I don't feel all that comfortable with my super Blackhawk, because after a few boxes if ammo, i've decided it's probably more gun than I can reliably handle with heavy loads while under quick pressure.

You asked for advice on the .357 and that you will get... however, without the additional criteria you just gave, you will invariably get questions about whether it will be safe. Your original post indicates that you are looking for safety, therefore you are going to get responses about how to make .357 safe, but also whether it will do the job particularly with Grizzlies or Browns.

We are also in a bit of a no win situation. If any of us assumed you didn't feel comfortable with a .44 or .45, etc., we could be accused of being condescending for other reasons.

This is why I'm going to stick with .357 mag......

This is the most important thing. Do want you want. One of the links I gave you from chuckhawks.com makes a strong case for the .357. It's your hide on the line, you know the area you are in and you know what you are capable of.

Good luck!

COR

Blackhawk
We'll just wait until this comes up again and give you another 8 pages of the same opinion in about 6-8 months

You could have done a search and found all the info you asked for in 50 other posts of the same "bear gun" ilk...The greatest part is now you want to criticize folks for not having enough experience to give you a "good" answer since you can't carry much weight...it's callled a compromise

Take a 22 Bearcat...At this point that is my advice for you...

5of7

Hunter
Anna.....the short answer regarding what is the 'best load' in a 357 for bear protection, is that there is no load in .357 caliber that is adequate for protection against the big bears...period.

However, if you are going to rely on a 357 anyway, then by all means shoot the heaviest hard cast flat point bullet you can find as fast as the brass will stand up to.

The 200 gr LBT gas check can be driven to 1250 fps from a 6" GP100, try that.....you may get lucky. 8)

Oh, and by the way....in my opinion, there is no revolver/cartridge combination that is truly adequate for the larger bears of over 1000 lbs without being backed up by a fearless companion with a heavy rifle.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
I don't see what's so bad about saying "I've decided to carry my .357, Tell me what load will make it the best it can be". Seems reasonable enough to me. Anna, if you handle that BlackHawk well, it will provide the piece of mind you're after.

I periodically horsepack into Montana's Bob Marshall Wilderness. These trips last about 10-12-days. Sometimes it's for fishing, sometimes just to enjoy the scenery. We've had Griz come into camp and scare off the horses and we've been asked to pull camp by the Ranger because Griz were terrorizing the neighbors. I'm always armed on these trips, but that's me. I doubt that 1 in 20 campers in the Bob are. My handgun gives me piece of mind and makes my trip more enjoyable. It makes me feel prepared. There's no reason that .357 can't do the same for you, Anna. I understand.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
annasophia said:
Then there's always the few guys who just can't not be a smartass no matter who asks a question here. It kind of makes me wonder why I bother asking any honest questions here.

I'm a female with a petite build and I don't feel all that comfortable with my super Blackhawk, because after a few boxes if ammo, i've decided it's probably more gun than I can reliably handle with heavy loads while under quick pressure. This is why I'm going to stick with .357 mag......

-Anna Sophia

I hope I didn't sound like a smartass when I said you need a bigger hammer, that wasn't my intent, it just happens to be true IMO. Yes, the "best" loads in a .357 mag is gonna be a heavy for caliber bullet going as fast as that cartridge can drive it. It's also going to have some recoil! More than for instance a .45 LC pushing a 255 gr along at a lazy 850 fps or so. That load has killed all manner of POed range bulls, runaway horses, buffalo etc over it's long career. In fact I've heard that a requirement for the old black powder army Colt was that it be able to kill a horse at 100 yds...
I would much rather face a bear with that load than with anything I could shoot in my .357 mag and if my young recoil shy 90 lb son can shoot that .45 load accurately, I expect you can too....

Just saying... :wink:

PS: Same goes for a similar .44 Spl load for your SBH, a 240 gr at 800 fps or so. I'd take it over the .35 bore any day. JMO...

(BTW if I had to kill a POed bear with a .357, I'd prefer doing it from the safety of a tall tree! Sorry, that was smartazz... :lol: )