Advise on "Bear Protection" .357 mag loads.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

annasophia

Bearcat
I am going to start experimenting with working up a "Bear-Protection" load that I can shoot through a Ruger .357mag and would like ask for any recommendations as far as recipes go. I want to push a really heavy bullet and am wondering if a lead cast or jacketed would be the way to go. I was thinking about lead cast, but please set me straight if there's a better way. My objective is to work up something that would have a reasonable chance of stopping or at least turning away any bears (black or grizzly) or other critters that have unpleasant ideas towards me when out in the sticks. I'm taking about Idaho, Wyoming and Montana where there actually are occasional grizzlies. I just need a little more peace of mind when I'm out.

--Anna Sophia

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
If you insist on .357 mag in your ruger, this would be my choice of bullet & powder....
myreloading039.jpg

With a heavy crimp....
myreloading043.jpg

With large grizzly bears in your stomping grounds, I would reconsider carrying a larger calibre which has the advantage of much heavier bullets for penitration.

.44 mag., or .45 colt, with at least 300 gr solid bullets in the cast variety with magnum powders is the way to go, in my humble opinion....

GAR

Single-Sixer
IMHO Ruffbird has chosen one, if not the best bullet for your application. If not that one exactly, you may want to give a long hard look at the old Lyman 358429. Cast it hard, size and lube accordingly.

Elmer Keith got that one correct over 80 years ago and it still works.

Tom

coloradofarmboy

Bearcat
Here is a good article that you might want to reference:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/protection_field.htm

Here is another point of view:

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/grizzly_357.htm

Personally, I prefer .45 Colt 335gr. at 1250 fps. as the .357 Mag just seems a bit too light for me if I am really concerned about a big animal batting me around a bit. And if I really want peace of mind, I'll grab my Marlin Guidegun .45-70 420gr. at 1850 fps. A good rifle cartridge wins every time over a handgun, but a rifle is sometimes not practical to carry.

tom black

Blackhawk
Throw the gun at 'em and run like heck. Ya need a bigger gun that shoots bigger bullets.
Tom Black

5of7

Hunter
In my reloading data I see that I have fired the 200 grain LBT flat point gas check to a velocity of 1250 fps in a 6" GP100.

The powder was AA9 and the charge is 12.5 grains.

There is nothing in my notes that indicate excessive pressure, although I am sure that it is in the 40K+ range. Extraction was free and easy, or else I would have noted it as HOT!!

That is probably as close as you can come to a bear load, but in my opinion, I certainly would not take on a Griz, Brown or Polar bear with any .357 Mg.

If you are hiking in big bear country, get yourself one of those Marlin lever action short barrel guns in 45/70 or .450 Marlin and carry it in a scabbard attached to your back pack or such like that.

And don't go alone.....2 guys who are both armed with adequate firepower have a LOT better chance of surviving a bear encounter than one guy alone.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
5of7- I am working up a .357 deer load for my Marlin 1894 and GP-100. I really like Accurate powders and use #2 in the 9X19 and #5 in the .38. So, is #9 the best powder you've tried so far? It seems like Lil' Gun, W-W 296, and H110 are most folks' favorites.

LAH

Buckeye
Roy Jinks took the big bear with a 357 but that was hunting. Use heavy cast in your 357 & carry a nice 12 bore pump.

5of7

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
5of7- I am working up a .357 deer load for my Marlin 1894 and GP-100. I really like Accurate powders and use #2 in the 9X19 and #5 in the .38. So, is #9 the best powder you've tried so far? It seems like Lil' Gun, W-W 296, and H110 are most folks' favorites.

296, H110, Lil Gun and others are slower powders burning than AA9, and would probably result in heavier charges and higher velocities than AA9, but in the .357, when shooting heavier bullets of 180 to 200 grains, there is a capacity problem. That is why I settled on AA9 for the above load.

Now in the Redhawk, because of it's longer cylinder, these slower powders can be utilized by seating the bullets to a longer OAL, but I have not explored that avenue except for the Hornady XTP 180 grainer.

If you are working with a rifle, the 180 Remington, or the XTP would be your best choices for deer.....IMO. 8)

I have shot 14 grs. of AA9 with the 180 gr. Remington bullet in the 6" GP and got 1225 on average.

All of the larger .357 (GP and Redhawk and a model 686 Smith) guns that I have tried seem to like 180 gr. bullets, both for shot to shot consistency and for accuracy.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
My suggestion would be leave the 357 at home and get a alaskan 454 for bear gun. A man has to know his limitations. The 357 is a fun gun not a bear gun. In my opinion.

BearBio

Buckeye
Shot a 180 lb wild sow (pig, not bear) at about 7-8 feet with heavy factory silhouette loads-failed to penetrate (six shots-at least 5 hit behind the ear in about a 3" group).

I carry HOT 45 colt loads. Wife carries a 41 . Both in Blackhawks.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
RUFFBIRD said:
If you insist on .357 mag in your ruger, this would be my choice of bullet & powder....
myreloading039.jpg

With a heavy crimp....
myreloading043.jpg

I'd say that those are about the best you can do. Penetration would be better (or as good as) any other load I can think of and with decent velocity. Federal has a similiar loading if you wanted factory loads, but I've never used it.

Knuckles

Buckeye
What model .357mag Ruger are you referring to for your woods gun... and what bbl length ? (just curious)

Big bears seem to respond to dieing best with ~~magnum riffle rounds~~... and BIG HEAVY SLOW ROUNDS.

Bigger bullet would be my personal choice... but .I'd take a .357snub if that's all I had.

BTW... I can't handle the .454... it 'bout broke my thumb (small hands).

The "what little gun loads can I use to kill a bear?" threads always get a lot of response.

I'd have to say "the nastiest stuff you can shoot well that won't grenade your gun".

Actually, I'd choose a bigger gun --SERIOUSLY -- but that doesn't answer the original question.

:)

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
The best defence... is a good offence!!!

12 gage shotgun with brenneke or dixieland slugs!!!!! Then a handgun just for kicks... but keep the shotgun handy...
Don't forget the "pucker factor"...... If you have ever wanted your handgun to feel small and impotent have a bear walk out onto the trail 15 yards in front of you...
A small Grizzly is still a big bear....... :D

Latest posts