Action tork settings

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stilwater36

Bearcat
I purchased a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact Mag. in 308 Winchester. It's been dropped from production,replaced by the American. I had problems with flyers
during the break in period,two shot touching each other at 100 yards and two shot touching each other but 3" down, Factory ammo,sand bags ,from the bench
with proper cooling time etc. Factory had me return the rifle and installed a new barrel. Problem solved shoots around 1" three shot groups at 100 yards.
They told me to tork the front bolt to 93 pounds. Question has anyone had this
advice and where do you find a tork wrench that registers 93 pounds?
I have not touched the stock bolts but maybe in the future I would check the bolt too make sure they are set to factory standard setting. Thanks for your comments

427mach1

Blackhawk
Lamplighter said:
That is 93 INCH Lbs. or 5.8 Ft Lbs.

93/16 = 5.8 about like a spark plug.

K Tools--- amazon.com

search for " inch lb. torque wrench "

I have one.

You could get this one linked here, but you must take care of it and ALWAYS return it to the lowest scale setting for storage. Treat it with kid gloves and it will treat you well.
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24320-4-Inch-Torque-20-200-Inch/dp/B00C5ZL2EG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387836346&sr=8-3&keywords=torque+wrench

I think you need to divide inch-lbs by 12 to convert to ft-lbs, not 16! 93 inch-lbs would be just under 8 ft-lbs. Still, you need a torque wrench that is calibrated in inch-lbs.

Cary

Single-Sixer
Firsttimegrampa said:
Has anybody tried the Wheeler Engineering F.A.T (firearms accurizing torque) Torque wrench ?
Yes I have one I used just yesterday to install my new Boyd's stock on my M77 MarkII. I have had the tool for several years and it works fine for my use. As already mentioned always store a torque wrench with the setting set at zero.
Cary

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Lamplighter said:
YES, thanks for that Correction. 8 ft lbs seems a lot for a stock to action screw.

I'd probably go a lil less with blue Loctite.

I never got up to 90+ inch pounds with my rifle but it still fixed my problem so I quit messing with it.

But Loctite won't make a difference in this sense since the purpose in tightening the screw is it changes the pressure on the front of the stock (and other places, I believe) wereas locktite serves the purposed the screw not backing out.

Pal Val

Buckeye
The Wheeler wrench won't do 93 in/Lb, but I have a little Sears torque wrench that does. It does seem like a lot. Worth a double check.

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
Don't know what the correct "spec" is on a Ruger. Factory directions that came with my Weatherby AccuMark Mark V (not a Ruger, please forgive me I won it in a raffle) is for 55 Inch Pounds. This is with a synthetic stock with Machined Aluminum Bedding Block for the action.
Mostly Irrelevant to original post I know but maybe indicates the 93 Inch Pounds is high. I would double check.

Kevin