Accuracy in the M77 Compact rifles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tacotime

Single-Sixer
I've read reviews from excellent to really poor on the accuracy of the compact rifles, the ones with the 16.5 inch barrels.

I'm really curious about the MKII version of these rifles, because I'm looking at a Compact 7mm-08 MKII for a possible buy.

How are these rifles performing? (And really, if the gun can shoot in 1.75 inches at 100, I consider that plenty good.)

And what differences make up the newer Hawkeye compacts?

Thanks.

Kanook

Buckeye
260Rem and 308 MKII
6.8SPC Hawkeye

Furthest deer with 308, 140yds
Furthest deer with 6.8 : 120yds
Furthest deer with 260 : 70 to 75 yds

I have never measured my groups, just try to get them touching at 100yds.

The trigger on the Hawkeye feels better than the MKII

I haven't lost a deer yet, and always seem to put the hole where it needs to go.

Not much help, but I would buy another compact without a second thought

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
I've got a 7mm-08 Frontier in the safe that is plenty accurate. Only difference between it and the Compact is the rib screwed to the top of the barrel. Honestly- it will be one of the last rifles I ever let go of, partly due to how "handy" it is and partly due to how effective the 7mm-08 cartridge is.

RJ556

Buckeye
Trey, I think there is at least one other difference in your Frontier and a Compact. I believe the Frontier has a somewhat heavier barrel than the Compact. With the pencil barrel and rear biased weight of the Compact, I found it difficult for me to shoot it accurately. However, if 1.75" grouping is acceptable to the OP in accuracy, then I don't think he will be disappointed with the Compact.

pcgod

Bearcat
Given the 1.75" goal, I think you will be fine. I have a 243 and a 308. The 243 can shoot sub inch regularly with both 85 gr bullets and 100 gr bullets. The 308 can shoot sub inch regularly with some loads but for a standard hunting load I use a 150gr bullet that shoots 1.1 - 1.25 inchs. I have shot Federal factory out of the 308 and they shot about an inch as well.
Note: 3 shot groups at 100yds. The barrels heat up fast cool between each shot or at least every 3.

The 243 is an older MKII and the 308 is a Hawkeye. The stocks are slightly different and the older one has nicer blueing.The triggers were both reasonable when I got them. But both triggers have been worked on and are dropping at 3 pounds.
As with any lightweight rifle, they can be tough to shoot extremely well. But they are fine for hunting and with practice they can be quite accurate.

I highly recommend Ruger Compacts.

scoutman

Bearcat
I second or third or.....

I can break clays all day at 100 meters providing I do my part.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Good info, thanks.

I wonder if anyone has had a chance to try a Froniter along side a regular compact? Curious if the heavier barrel of the Frontier helps the accuracy by any noticeable amount.

Other than the rib and heavier barrel, what else separates the Frontier from the compacts?

And then what does the Hawkeye add?

scoutman

Bearcat
tacotime said:
Good info, thanks.

Other than the rib and heavier barrel, what else separates the Frontier from the compacts?

And then what does the Hawkeye add?

I don't know . I quit looking. I can't shoot up to the potential of my Compact as it is. All I know is that my rifle all up with scope and sling weighs in at 7 # 8 oz. and is the "handiest" rifle I have ever owned.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
RJ556 said:
Trey, I think there is at least one other difference in your Frontier and a Compact. I believe the Frontier has a somewhat heavier barrel than the Compact.

Maybe.

The earlier Frontiers had a slimmer barrel than the later ones (when checkering was added to stocks, 358 & 338 were introduced, and stainless became an option).

My 7mm-08 is one of the earlier ones with the slimmer barrel & no checkering. I've never studied the Compacts and don't know if the barrels are even slimmer, but from a cost/logistics standpoint I'd expect Ruger to try to make the same barrel profile work in multiple applications.

RJ556

Buckeye
OK Trey, lets find out. I no longer own a Compact or Frontier. Will any of those have a Frontier and/or Compact, please put a caliper on the muzzle end of the barrel and report the diameter on this thread? I could be wrong about this one, but I am just curious.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I've got two hawkeye compacts. 7.62x39 and .308
The .308 shoots the factory ammo I've tried at just over MOA to 1 3/4 MOA. My handloads are consistently MOA or just under.

The 7.62x39 shoots Winchester White Box MOA. My handloads are consistently 3/4 moa if I do my part. The cheap russian stuff varies from 2 to 5 MOA. I had a batch of Golden Tiger that would shoot 1 1/4 MOA consistently. Should have bought more of that lot.

I really like both of these rifles. Not going to sell or trade either one of them. Right now I'm focused on developing loads for my GSR.

All 3 shot groups at a 100 yards.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
Can't help with the Compact, but I was certain that I'd posted muzzle diameter for the two different Frontier barrel weights and finally found it again. They measured 0.630" for the early version and 0.670" for the later one.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=105469&highlight=

Bearcat
I have never shot one of the regular compacts myself but I used to work at a gun store and sold several in ,243 and 7mm-08. Everyone that bought one came back in bragging about the great accuracy of the rifles.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I have a 7mm-08 compact. After some experimentation, I found a load that gives me excellent accuracy. My best group so far was 5/8" at 100 yds, last Fall getting ready for the deer hunt.

Can't complaint.

pumpgun

Bearcat
i have frontiers in 7mm/08 and 338 federal with the leupold 2.75x scout scope on both. they are both very accurate. at 40 yards they shoot in the same hole. at 100 yards with my eyes they shoot about 1.5" but if someone had better eyes i know they would do better. they both have the short, fat barrels and are awesome guns to carry. i want to add the 243 version one of these days and maybe the 300wsm. i bought them for my boys when they started hunting and they love them. no scope bite with the scout scopes either. but the short barrels really blast and they jump pretty good. but i highly recommend them.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
pumpgun said:
but the short barrels really blast and they jump pretty good.

There should be more muzzle blast & recoil with short barrels but I didn't notice that with my 358 Frontier and haven't noticed it with the 7mm-08 either. Could be because we almost never shoot from a bench.

Last year I quit using managed recoil loads in the 7mm-08 and the boys have been shooting 139-grain Hornady Interbonds at ~2,850 fps without any complaints. This is my 8 year old with his deer in December and the exit wound you see is typical of our experiences on several other deer & pigs.

IMG957635.jpg

RJ556

Buckeye
Trey wrote,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Can't help with the Compact, but I was certain that I'd posted muzzle diameter for the two different Frontier barrel weights and finally found it again. They measured 0.630" for the early version and 0.670" for the later one. "

Will someone please measure the muzzle diameter of their Compact and report it on this thread? Thanks. I think you will find the Compact muzzle diameter some where around .565" or so. RJ

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Clearly the heavy recoil knocked out a couple of front teeth!

Nice to see the kids out hunting.

So if I read right, all the .358 Frontiers should have the largest .67 barrel they put on the Frontier, while the smaller Frontier calibers might be the .63 or .67 variety?

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
tacotime said:
So if I read right, all the .358 Frontiers should have the largest .67 barrel they put on the Frontier, while the smaller Frontier calibers might be the .63 or .67 variety?

That's right. And the larger barrel diameter should be accompanied by a checkered stock...both changes were made at the same time. Personally I like the smooth, un-checkered stock on the Frontiers.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I guess the heavy barrel helps a little with the .358 recoil, and the extra stiffness may not hurt accuracy either.