Absolute best FMJ ammo for the LCP ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

purebred

Bearcat
I know another LCP ammo question. With only having this gun a short while and trying to find decent 380 ammo at a decent price I would like to ask what is the best FMJ (only) you have shot in your LCP ? I have other short barrel guns, NAA revolver, Derringers and I exclusively only shoot both for practice and defense in these short barrels FMJ ammo. Without having to order ammo and finding it locally is their any go to ammo you prefer ?: I know since Wal-Mart quit selling that many revert to Academy, Bass Pro shops, Cabella's or mom pop gun stores to get ammo. Just curious as to what others are having good results with. Thanks.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Honestly, I normally shoot handloads, but I did recently undergo some training which mandated factory ammo. I used some Aguila FMJ since that was one of the few available in my neck of the woods at the time. I am going to say it genuinely surprised me with how good it was. Very consistent and accurate.

purebred

Bearcat
Honestly, I normally shoot handloads, but I did recently undergo some training which mandated factory ammo. I used some Aguila FMJ since that was one of the few available in my neck of the woods at the time. I am going to say it genuinely surprised me with how good it was. Very consistent and accurate.
Next time I am at Academy I think I will try some Aguila. Last time there I bought their brand Monarch and had a couple of FTE. Not good. Price was good though. I am close to Bass and have been buying the Herters FMJ FP. With military discount not too bad and not one missfire. The problem with 380 is the cotton picking price for store bought.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Fiocchi makes some pretty good range ammo. I don't have a .380, but have used their 9mm & .45acp quite a lot. Cycles fine, accuracy/consistency is as good or better than some other brands. Price is as (un)reasonable as anything else these days - about 60cent/shot at the local shops.

purebred

Bearcat
Fiocchi makes some pretty good range ammo. I don't have a .380, but have used their 9mm & .45acp quite a lot. Cycles fine, accuracy/consistency is as good or better than some other brands. Price is as (un)reasonable as anything else these days - about 60cent/shot at the local shops.
Thanks Gunny, problem where I'm at is not very much selection. No Fiocchi. There is some 95 grain Winchester FMJ FP. After finding out that Herters is actually being made by Winchester and their bullet is identical to the Winchester I just can't see the 10.00 more a box price. Remington, Federal, Blazer, are even more per box than the Herters. I know it's supply demand but prices for the 380 just doesn't make sense. JHP is even worse.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Thanks Gunny, problem where I'm at is not very much selection. No Fiocchi. There is some 95 grain Winchester FMJ FP. After finding out that Herters is actually being made by Winchester and their bullet is identical to the Winchester I just can't see the 10.00 more a box price. Remington, Federal, Blazer, are even more per box than the Herters. I know it's supply demand but prices for the 380 just doesn't make sense. JHP is even worse.

Must be all those wealthy new shooters in TX causing price/selection problems. ;):LOL: Haven't had a problem with selection here for over a year now. Even the local AF Base gun counter is stocked to the gills.

DEG1

Bearcat
I buy almost all my ammo online. Been buying from Gunbuyers.com for last couple years. Competitive prices and shipping. Fast delivery. No big box stores within 45 minute drive for me. For 380 FMJ I buy Blazer Brass. Never a hiccup (yet).

Last edited:

purebred

Bearcat
Must be all those wealthy new shooters in TX causing price/selection problems. ;):LOL: Haven't had a problem with selection here for over a year now. Even the local AF Base gun counter is stocked to the gills.
Well you know those prune pickers are moving to Texas in hordes. :ROFLMAO: The selection of the common ammo is ok it's just the ammo that is least sold that is the problem both with selection and price. Guess the prune pickers carry a lot of 380 mouse guns.

purebred

Bearcat
I buy almost all my ammo online. Been buying from Gunbuyers.com for last couple years. Competitive prices and shipping. Fast delivery. No big box stores within 45 minute drive for me. For 380 FMJ I buy Blaze Brass. Never a hiccup (yet).
I was thinking of trying the Blazer soon. Bought a bunch of 9mm and it was pretty good. Just don't understand the price markup on the 380 stuff. I guess it would be a good one to try a box and see what happens.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Well you know those prune pickers are moving to Texas in hordes. :ROFLMAO: The selection of the common ammo is ok it's just the ammo that is least sold that is the problem both with selection and price. Guess the prune pickers carry a lot of 380 mouse guns.

Somebody should tell them they are only allowed to shoot mice w/mouse guns. Same as the rules for elephant guns and deer rifles. ;)

Hankus

Blackhawk
Gunny, thanks for the reminder! MacDill AFB is an hour plus away and it's probably still a mild hassle to get on base but I guess I'll need to check it out. IDK if they have a gun counter there, but I'll have to do some research. There's a Bass Pro east of Tampa too, and they just opened an Academy in Pinellas Park that I want to check out.

I don't shoot my only .380 (LCP) very often, but several years ago I bought a couple of (each) "buckets of bullets" in .380, 9mm and .45ACP at a Dick's Black Friday sale and still haven't cracked them open. I still have a pretty good stash from the "boom days" when ammo was plentiful and cheap and have only bought .22, .45LC, and .327 Federal Magnum recently. PSA has had some good sales recently that make it worth the shipping cost when ordering online.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Gunny, thanks for the reminder! MacDill AFB is an hour plus away and it's probably still a mild hassle to get on base but I guess I'll need to check it out. IDK if they have a gun counter there, but I'll have to do some research. There's a Bass Pro east of Tampa too, and they just opened an Academy in Pinellas Park that I want to check out.

I don't shoot my only .380 (LCP) very often, but several years ago I bought a couple of (each) "buckets of bullets" in .380, 9mm and .45ACP at a Dick's Black Friday sale and still haven't cracked them open. I still have a pretty good stash from the "boom days" when ammo was plentiful and cheap and have only bought .22, .45LC, and .327 Federal Magnum recently. PSA has had some good sales recently that make it worth the shipping cost when ordering online.
They do. See this. Since they do, they can also order guns and accessories from the on-line AAFES site. So if you find something there you may be able to order it yourself and have it shipped to MacDill for pickup. Check with the MacDill gun counter for details.

macdill.jpg

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Buy what you can find and afford. What works in our guns may not be worth a hoot in yours, and what is an utter failure in your gun may work like a charm in mine.

purebred

Bearcat
Buy what you can find and afford. What works in our guns may not be worth a hoot in yours, and what is an utter failure in your gun may work like a charm in mine.
That's what I intend to do Sir. Bass is very close to me and while the name brand 380 is prevalent I will try and afford a different box each week until I get everything they offer. Then it's off to the range and see what works best. The Herters so far has been very good ammo, no complaints. I see quite a few high dollar brands (boxes) of JHP ammo but I am keeping my LCP shooting strictly to JHP.

NikA

Buckeye
I believe both the Herters and Winchester WB ammo in .380 are made by S&B out of the Czech Republic. At least that was the case a few years ago, I have a good number of boxes marked as such in small text on back. European loadings of small pistol cartridges (particularly .32, but also .380 IIRC) tend to be a bit hotter.

purebred

Bearcat
I believe both the Herters and Winchester WB ammo in .380 are made by S&B out of the Czech Republic. At least that was the case a few years ago, I have a good number of boxes marked as such in small text on back. European loadings of small pistol cartridges (particularly .32, but also .380 IIRC) tend to be a bit hotter.
The boxes I have say Made in the USA. The bullets have Winchester headstamps on them identical to the US made Winchester. At 22.95 a box minus the VA discount cheapest stuff here.

Attachments

• 20230211_113819.jpg
    20230211_113819.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 48

harley08

Blackhawk
Shoot your handloads for practice, Put in manufactures ammo for self-defense. If you hurt or kill anyone with ammo that you hand loaded they could say you loaded the ammo hot on purpose.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Why does OP say "...absolute best..." then says at a decent price??? If one wants the absolute best, the price should not matter.
I bought my LCP when they first came out as did Hornady's Critical Defense ammo. I thought it to be a good match. I have read about problems some firearms have with hollow points, but the CD ammo has a polymer tip which alleviates that problem. One doesn't have to worry about accuracy as the LCP was not made for that. It shoots well enough for center, body mass targets across from a poker table!

Last edited:

purebred

Bearcat
Why does OP say "...absolute best..." then says at a decent price??? If one wants the absolute best, the price should not matter.
I bought my LCP when they first came out as did Hornady's Critical Defense ammo. I thought it to be a good match. I have read about problems some firearms have with hollow points, but the CD ammo has a polymer tip which alleviates that problem. One doesn't have to worry about accuracy as the LCP was not made for that. It shoots well enough for center, body mass targets across from a poker table!
I guess you're right about my choice of words. Sorry didn't mean to confuse some. When you're on limited income price does matter to me. Also have tried many a Hornady ammo and found to many primer problems to suit me especially for the price. That's why the LCP for me is strictly used with FMJ ammo. If you disagree then sorry. Also not much of a poker player.

harley08

Blackhawk
I know another LCP ammo question. With only having this gun a short while and trying to find decent 380 ammo at a decent price I would like to ask what is the best FMJ (only) you have shot in your LCP ? I have other short barrel guns, NAA revolver, Derringers and I exclusively only shoot both for practice and defense in these short barrels FMJ ammo. Without having to order ammo and finding it locally is their any go to ammo you prefer ?: I know since Wal-Mart quit selling that many revert to Academy, Bass Pro shops, Cabella's or mom pop gun stores to get ammo. Just curious as to what others are having good results with. Thanks.
Start reloading! Reload for practice only. Buy Factory HP ammo for defense.