? about reloaders?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tankhead

Bearcat
It saves me the time to post another thread in a few months covering the same topic. Now I have a good list thats within by budget to refer back to. Never was a gun guy til this year. Always just bowhunted. But the rifle gives me more opportunity in the lottery for a tag. Bought a Weatherby SS Sporter 300 win mag/Leupold VX-3 scope and now this RH 4" 44 mag for back-up. I wouldn't be reloading to save loads of money. But w/ this scope's B&C Ballistic Aiming Sytem I see added benefits. Wishing you the best.

wlhawk

Bearcat
While saving enough brass to reload, get a few reloading manuals and start reading. You will still have questions as you start, but it'll make it much easier.

Tankhead

Bearcat
Went to the local library about a month ago. I already read the Lyman's 48th and in the middle of the "ABC's". Gonna read Lyman's again before I turn it back in and have to "buy" some others. Thanks!

NCMountains

Bearcat
Well, from my original post to yes I am getting into reloading. Jeeeez! I thought I would not but trying to find ammo is a joke!

Checked UPS and tomorrow is the lucky delivery day!

810wmb

Single-Sixer
8)

i got reloading press 2 days ago..primers, powder, bullets delivered today or tomorrow.

building a bench this weekend (hopefully)

stoked!

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Seems like there's a big surge of interest in this subject, given the price and lack of availability of commercial ammo. Funny thing there... :D I know I'm now reloading for every caliber I shoot.

Now the trick will be keeping yourself in primers and powder. Primers seem to be more available now than 6 months ago, but I'm currently not seeing much powder, at least the kinds I want, on the shelves, and I don't like paying shipping/handling/hazmat fees on mail order.

-- Sam

NCMountains

Bearcat
Yes.....the haz-mat fee is only advantageous if you order a crap load of powder for sure!

Yosemite Sam":37hmdk6t said:
Seems like there's a big surge of interest in this subject, given the price and lack of availability of commercial ammo. Funny thing there... :D I know I'm now reloading for every caliber I shoot.

Now the trick will be keeping yourself in primers and powder. Primers seem to be more available now than 6 months ago, but I'm currently not seeing much powder, at least the kinds I want, on the shelves, and I don't like paying shipping/handling/hazmat fees on mail order.

-- Sam

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
NCMountains":o6bs7n2w said:
Yes.....the haz-mat fee is only advantageous if you order a crap load of powder for sure!

Hi,

It's hard for me to make a blanket statement regarding the haz-mat fee. Much depends on which powder I want, and how much of it. Then I look at local prices plus tax versus online prices plus haz-mat plus shipping. All else being equal, low price wins.

However, what I want is far less likely to be available these days locally, at a decent price, or even at all. Then the haz-mat fee becomes just "a cost of doing business" as it were if I'm to continue using my favorite recipes!

And, if you watch the various popular vendors, you will sometimes see one or two of them absorb part or all of the haz-mat fees if you make a certain sized order. Sometimes you've gotta get a couple of buddies together to buy enough... but it can be worth it!

Rick C

c.r.

Single-Sixer
In my area, I can go on line, purchase an 8lb keg of h-110, pay the hazmat and shipping fees just to ship that single container................AND still come out cheaper than had I purchased locally.

I like Mr. Courtright's use of the phrase, "cost of doing business". That sums it up well.

~c.r.