A question about primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I started a new thread because I didn't want to derail the other one about 357 Maximum.

But there seemed to be an issue with primers in that thread. The Remington 7 1/2 primers vs. other brands. I don't have anywhere to buy Remington primers locally either. So I just bought CCI BR4 small rifle primers. They also had CCI 450 (which is small rifle magnum primers.)

From a quick internet search, the BR4 is "close" to the Remington 7 1/2, but will they be a good substitute where a manual says Rem 7 1/2 ??? Or should I have bought the small rifle magnum primers (CCI 450.) ???

From looking, I can't really find any sort of cross reference chart showing equivalents between brands of primers.

Are they really that different from brand to brand? I know some are supposed to be harder, others softer. I'm more asking of strength, or power.

wwb

Hunter
The word you're looking for is brisance... a measure of primer power.

Check here:

http://castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

Chief 101

Hunter
In the Max I used CCI 400 successfully. I carelessly primed 50 rounds with pistol primers once, 4227 powder and 180gr bullets with excellent results on the target. Try what you have and use what works...

DHD

Single-Sixer
Some years back, a guy named German Salazar had a blog available and he did a big test about primer strength/brisance. Very good read. As I remember, he listed the 7 1/2 as a flame thrower.

There's enough evidence out there listing CCI SPM and CCI SR as being the same. My experience says they are (lots of shooting and chronograph data). The CCI 450 is the darling of the Benchrest crowd and I'll use it over every other SR primer even though I have just about everything else out there, for my rifles. I also use the 450 exclusively for 454 Casull.

I've used the BR4's, but they didn't do anything the 450's didn't do too. Plus they are $$$. When Wolf (Russian) primers were available, they had a good reputation. They did require a crush fit in the primer pocket and a good solid smack to ignite though. Sadly, they haven't been available for some time (thank goodness I bought thousands when I could).

I feel that "oomph" is easier to spell and more descriptive than brisance.

DHD

Single-Sixer
I'm sure the BR4's will be perfectly fine. I use the 450's in the 454 due to them being able to take some pressure, not necessarily for their brisance/oomph. Not currently loading for the Maximum, I'm not familiar with it's traits. It seems that 4227 is a preferred powder and I personally haven't found it to be too hard to ignite, but I haven't used it such a long case as the Maximum either.

The next time you go by your supply store, grab a 1000 450's. I tend to buy by the case (or multiple case) but I'm a hoarder by nature.

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
The Lyman manual lists the Remington 7 1/2 as a match primer and shows it the same a Remington 6 1/2. The latest Hornady manual (#10) shows it on the same level as a CCI 450. So that's why reloading drives people who have more than one manual a bit crazy.

I have readily available sources for Remington primers. I've used the 7 1/2 for several decades now in Hornets, Bee's, 223, 222 and Maximums. I've loaded ball powders and stick powders with them. All without issues. I start out using CCI 400 most times because they are cheaper and try to get a load to work but switching to a 7 1/2 it seems I get better consistency. My story and I'm sticking to it.

Back to the 200 gr Max loads, the reason I used Rem 7 1/2 primers? It was because the Hornady manual #10 called for it. Sticking to the manuals is always a good place to be.

Enigma

Hunter
MIshooter said:
The Lyman manual lists the Remington 7 1/2 as a match primer and shows it the same a Remington 6 1/2. The latest Hornady manual (#10) shows it on the same level as a CCI 450. So that's why reloading drives people who have more than one manual a bit crazy.

I have readily available sources for Remington primers. I've used the 7 1/2 for several decades now in Hornets, Bee's, 223, 222 and Maximums. I've loaded ball powders and stick powders with them. All without issues. I start out using CCI 400 most times because they are cheaper and try to get a load to work but switching to a 7 1/2 it seems I get better consistency. My story and I'm sticking to it.

Back to the 200 gr Max loads, the reason I used Rem 7 1/2 primers? It was because the Hornady manual #10 called for it. Sticking to the manuals is always a good place to be.

The Rem 6-1/2 and 7-1/2 primers are NOT interchangeable. The 6-1/2 is intended for relatively low pressure cartridges like the .22 Hornet. The 7-1/2 is intended for higher pressure cartridges like the .223 Remington.

Kevin said:
I started a new thread because I didn't want to derail the other one about 357 Maximum.

But there seemed to be an issue with primers in that thread. The Remington 7 1/2 primers vs. other brands. I don't have anywhere to buy Remington primers locally either. So I just bought CCI BR4 small rifle primers. They also had CCI 450 (which is small rifle magnum primers.)

From a quick internet search, the BR4 is "close" to the Remington 7 1/2, but will they be a good substitute where a manual says Rem 7 1/2 ??? Or should I have bought the small rifle magnum primers (CCI 450.) ???

Now what i do is test em, side by side same brass, same powder charge, same OAL. See how they group. Using a chronograph if you have one then you will be able to see the velocity SD, ES.