Question about reloading dies

Help Support Ruger Forum:

p5200

Bearcat
The dies I've ordered are for progressive loaders but, they should work with the Forster Coax am I correct? I have an RCBS Expander die, I plan to use with the Redding Die set. Thanks! :) https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0007689286/44-special44-mag-pro-series-titanium-carbide-pistol-die-set

mikld

Blackhawk
Unless the dies are specifically stated as "progressive press dies" for a specific progressive press, they will work. Industry standard for dies and presses is 7/8-14 threaded die body and press. On a Co-Ax, dies are held in place on the press by the lock ring, fitting in a recess in the press frame...

p5200

Bearcat
mikld said:
Unless the dies are specifically stated as "progressive press dies" for a specific progressive press, they will work. Industry standard for dies and presses is 7/8-14 threaded die body and press. On a Co-Ax, dies are held in place on the press by the lock ring, fitting in a recess in the press frame...
I hope they will work by using my lock rings which have the standard 7/8-14 threads. :)

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
p5200 said:
The dies I've ordered are for progressive loaders but, they should work with the Forster Coax am I correct?

Hi,

This info's a few years old, but it had to do with RCBS rings and a Co-Ax press. What I got out of that was older RCBS rings might be too thin to fit snugly, but current rings are thick enough to work well with the Co-Ax. I've also read on another forum that Hornady's cross-bolt rings (L-n-L style?) work well with the Co-Ax. It wouldn't surprise me if the die mfrs are all standardizing the thickness of their rings to fit more presses.

Rick C

p5200

Bearcat
I have some extra Forster and Hornady lock rings so I think things should work out fine! Thanks :)

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Some of the rings that I had were a little thick, glued a piece of sandpaper to a flat board and went to work on them until they fit proper.

mikld

Blackhawk
FWIW I bought a lot of Sinclair/Forster rings when I first got my Co-Ax, but soon ran out. I used a few Lee rings; removed the o-ring and drilled/tapped one of the flats for a 6-32 setscrew. That was a few years ago and they are still working quite well. Yes, they move up under pressure, but they move the same amount every time so the adjustment stays the same, but I only have them on sizing and flaring dies...

DHD

Single-Sixer
This can be a study unto itself. I have bought a few bags of 12 Forster lock rings but still didn't have enough for every die I use. The Hornady lock rings will work but are thinner than the Forster. For my uses, any of the lock rings that aren't split tend to be thinner than I prefer. Lee has a new style lock ring that doesn't use the Oring, but they have been too thick. They'll slide into the Co-Ax but they won't float. Lastly, Lyman also has a split lock ring, but I haven't tried them as I just buy more Forster when I think I may need more.

I hate to think about how much $$ I have tied up in stuff...

jims

Bearcat
Think about all the money you saved by reloading vs. factory ammo.