A Snubbie ????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Nothing to go by; but I always considered a snubbie to be 2". Just an opinion as well; so I am open to have my mind changed. Interesting question.

Terry T

Buckeye
Well, the 2 1/2 S&W model 19 is a 'snubby' and the Ruger Speed Six / Service Six / Security Six 2 3/4" are considered 'snubbies' , not to mention the 3" GP-100. So I'm going to go with 3" and less.

And the 3 1/2" Vaquero / New Vaquero Bird's Heads. And... :shock:
This could get weird.
Terry T

REP1954

Blackhawk
I sent a Colt SAA Sheriffs Model 45 Colt with a 3" barrel back to the Colt Custom Shop to have the barrel changed to 2". After I had the change made no one called it a Sheriffs Model anymore they called it a snubnose.

k22fan

Blackhawk
It's all about how out of proportion the barrel is to the frame. 2 ¾" SRH Alaskans and RHs are definitely snubbies. Even the smaller N frame with a 3" barrel is a snubbie but 3" barrels don't quite give GP 100s and L frames snubbie status. Drop down to a SP 101 or J frame and a 3" barrel turns the 2" pocket snub into a small belt gun.

Incidentally I don't see this as an argument, just lighthearted fun.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I think you only need 3 reauirements for a snubbie.

Easily concealable
Shorter than what is considered standard
And id throw in not long enough to be legal to hunt with. Which in most places is under 4"

Fun thread but need more snubbie pictures! :)

stevemb

Hunter
I saw this thread yesterday but thought I'd mull it over during my 2nd shift work day. My thoughts on the "snubbie" title. Do they make a shorter version ? For instance, my CA Bulldog in .44spec has a 3" barrel. I do not consider it a "snubbie" because the factory makes a shorter version. I'd call that one a snubbie. Makes sense ?

Bob R

Single-Sixer
We have a Snub "BUG" Division for Defensive Pistol ( similar to IDPA)
The Club also has a 'BUG" Division for our ICORE Revolver Match's as well. (Not a sanctioned ICORE Division).

Our Rules say 3 Inch and under is a snub. Note: This is a small turn out Division, so we have not refined the Rules any more than barrel length.

The fly in the ointment with a 3 Inch Barrel would be in larger revolvers. We have several Willy Clapp 3 Inch GP100's shooting at the Club. I have a 3" 66-2 and a 3" Adjustable Sight GP100. While legal no one enters their 3" GP100 in BUG Division. When I shoot in the BUG Division it is normally with a 2.25" SP101, my 3" SP101 or my 64 Snub with 2 " barrel.

It is really hard to draw a line in the sand at 2", 2.5" 2.75" or 3" on what is a snub.
The 3" J Frames, and the 3" SP101 are still what I would call a snub.
The 2 Inch and 2.5 Inch K frames, and the 2.75 Inch Security Six are normally considered to be snubs by most as well.

It is hard to justify a 3" K Frame, 3" GP100, or a 3" 686 not being snub's in the match rules.

Just My 2 Cents

Bob