A sad little SP101 gets a makeover-Range Report Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
A local shop had a SP101 in 38 SP on their online used guns list for a few weeks with no takers. This despite the fact that the price was quite reasonable for a used SP. I suspect that giving it only a "Fair" grading at a reputable dealer known to grade accurately was one of the reasons. Actually, knowing that they are pretty tough considering the way I baby mine :wink:, I also wondered what you could do to an SP to get it a Fair grading.

I took a ride to check it out. Boy howdy, it really didn't look that nice.

HPIM4590-1.jpg

HPIM4595.jpg

But I checked it out for function, it was tight, very tight in fact showing little evidence of having been shot much at all, the barrel and cylinder were clean and rust free. The serial number put it as a first year production. Hmmmm ....

My plan was to use it instead of my 3" SP I have been carrying for years when seakayaking. It rides in a dry bag. This one looked like it had been lashed to the deck for that purpose, or dragged behind as a drift anchor, for a good bit longer than mine had been in that service, and since it has been well cared for it looks a *lot* better! A little negotiation (they are really good guys) and I brought it home for a more reasonable price than its already reasonable asking price.

I took off the grips and shot it up with carb cleaner first, letting it soak good for about an hour. Fortunately a lot of stuff that looked like rust, especially under the grips, came off as dried grease, or .... something. I disassembled it to find that it was really clean inside, almost like new. Cool. Degreased all that, did a little of the old toothpaste polishing trick to really smooth up some of the internal parts that need it for a good DA pull, washed, relubed and reassembled and it felt pretty good! Then the barrel and chambers got a good cleaning with CLP. Nice, looked very bright. I worked over the toughest rust spots on the right side with some 600 grit wet/dry, a little rottenstone, and finally a Birchwood Casey lead remover cloth. It restored most of the finish to a decent look, but still a little pitting remains in a couple of spots. The front sight had lost a lot of bluing and been slightly filed down, crudely, so I trued it up and reblued with some cold blue. Finally I washed the grip in a dilute solution of Dawn, then treated it with 303 Protectant to restore its feel and smooth pliability.

A Wolff 12# hammerspring smoothed it up nicely. The DA is just right, the SA crisp without any creep.

I tried it with an FBI 158gr +P equivalent handload and it shot about 2" high at 25 yards into about a 2.5" group. I am pleased. I am working up some light 125gr jhp 38-44S&W handloads to try in it based on Brian Pearce's article on that cartridge. Not that I need them over the excellent 158+P load, but they may be nice to have if a little more emphasis is needed.

The final step, so far, was to add a set of grip panels I bought from 1chig on eBay that were made of teak. Now teak may not be the most attractive of grip woods for grain by many folks, but since it was used extensively in sailing ships and even more modern ones for decks, it seemed the perfect thing for a seakayaking carry gun, especially since it is naturally resistant to water damage. The SP, of course, is pretty much built like a diving knife anyway. I found that if my 3" one did get damp for some reason. I could just rinse it off in warm water, relube after drying, and it has been good to go for several years now.

HPIM4619-1.jpg

HPIM4620.jpg

I don't know about the teak grip panels' finish holding up, but I won't hold it against 1chig if I mess 'em up! It is not really subjected to getting wet for the most part unless things get exciting. Perhaps I can find some teak or cut a chunk out of an old persimmon tree that went down in a storm on a remote, isolated beach on Chesapeake Bay that has special meaning to me and commission another pair just in case.

All in all, I am pleased with how it turned out. Now if I can figure out how to attach a lanyard to it.... [/img]

stantheman86

Buckeye
P4300027.JPG

Yours must have came from the same place mine did, I picked this up at a gun show for $350, it's a .38 Special from about 1991 or so. Mine's a "short frame" that pre-dates the .357 models.

I think these might have been a bunch of LEO trades that got released on the market. Mine shows every day of 20 years of daily carry.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Thanks for bringing one of Ruger's best back to a honorable appearance! I've got one of the older short frame 38's also, 1992 vintage. It's a joy to own and shoot.
Sal

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
A real Cinderella story. I always get a kick out of seeing things restored to the condition they deserve. Thanks.

(also a teeny bit jealous)

:)

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
stantheman86 said:
I think these might have been a bunch of LEO trades that got released on the market. Mine shows every day of 20 years of daily carry.

You may be right, stan, they do/did look similar. What looked like belt rub wear on the left and some rusting on the right does suggest lots of carry, while the tightness and interior wear suggested little actual firing. It is a great value at a reasonable price, plus they can clean up nice! I suspect mine may have been a customer trade in that he got from a dealer elsewhere who obtained it from the same distributor. It was really cheap.

stantheman86

Buckeye
VA doublegunner, they both look to be from the same serial number "era" and are the exact same configuration. Mine also seems to have been hardly fired, just carried a lot and not well maintained.

I had thought they might be French Police trade ins, since a lot of overseas PD's seem to be selling back S&W's and Rugers lately....and I know French police use a lot of .38 SP101's.....but there's no import mark.

Guns like this are proof that stainless CAN rust, I have several stainless Rugers with pin prick rust speckling under the grips, on the grip frame from "hand sweat" etc. I have noticed a lot of the trade in "snub" type revolvers seem to be MORE neglected than the full size "duty" guns.........I don't really have a theory why, perhaps the snubs get left in leather holsters more often, get cleaned less, I don't know. A local FFL had a few VERY rough older S&W 60's, I wouldn't even touch them for any price, looked like they were kicked across concrete after being dipped in a salt bath.

There are also a bunch of 2 3/4" .357 Speed Sixes in rough shape that suddenly appeared on GB, at gun shows and now at dealers, so I'm guessing a PD or State Police agency just traded a bunch of them. I got one of those too 8)

I think we're seeing trade in "snubs" now because detectives and higher ranking officers within the PD's were carrying these, and they were the last to be "upgraded" to auto loader pistols. Very very few PD's issue or authorize revolvers for new "recruits" but the old timers who have been on for 20-30 years may still carry them.

I plan to leave the SP101 alone, I thought of adding a set of Trausch grips but I plan to use this as a knockaround CC gun for the summer,the stock grips are better for CC........and I needed something I'm not afraid to sweat all over and then toss in the "car safe".....so it can have dings and dents, I''ll probably be adding a few more. :eek:

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I think you are correct, stantheman! My s/n is 570-24xxx, so it appears pretty close to yours.

I thought I read somewhere that the French ones had a lanyard attachment in the grip. Too bad it isn't one of those. I have no idea where these came from, and the guys at the shop confirmed it was a customer trade in, so no telling where it came from before.

I haven't seen any other of these SPs if a bunch came in, but would certainly consider another one if it is the same kind of deal. I already have a shorty DAO in addition to the 3" one. The SP really is a strong, well executed little revolver, not as light as a Smith, but robust, well made, and in their own right rather elegant utilitarian tools.

A short Speed-Six would be all right too. I still regret passing on a nice snubby in 9mm about 7 years ago for .... get this, $250. I got a 4" Service Six for $200. Live and learn.

I understand leaving it as it is. I thought about doing that with this one, especially considering its intended use, but since I needed to clean it and get the small rust pits off, smooth it up and, well, things just took off from there since it was easy enough to do. Stainless is remarkably resistant to rust with care, but no doubt about it, it certainly will rust! I find the Rugers to be pretty robust in that regard if you take time to clean them off after exposure to saltwater. The experience with my 3" one shows that they can be maintained in fine condition easily if you take even minimal time to take care of them.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
stantheman86 said:
I had thought they might be French Police trade ins, since a lot of overseas PD's seem to be selling back S&W's and Rugers lately....and I know French police use a lot of .38 SP101's.....but there's no import mark.

Guns like this are proof that stainless CAN rust, I have several stainless Rugers with pin prick rust speckling under the grips,

The French Police trade in guns were factory re-imports so they do not have import marks. French patrol units were issue SPs with lanyards while detectives got plain ones. If you see a French issued SP for sale ask the dealer to let you take the grips off. If there is a vertical cut in the rear of the grip frame the gun came with the lanyard. Ask the dealer to drop the price $50 or so. I have known dealers that will sell the lanyard adapter with the old grips for $50-75.

When Ruger first brought the guns back home they still had replacement lanyards and made sure that all the used guns got them. I was lucky and I was able to order two spares for other guns.

The only revolvers I have every seen really rust unless we are talking abuse is a Ruger. I thin it is the type of steel used.

Chris Brines

Bearcat
Nice grips. I want an SP101 or GP100 so bad. I have a Taurus 85 that I'd love to sell, then put that $$ towards a Ruger, but it would still be something I couldn't afford to do at this point. I'm seriously considering putting one on layaway if I can, like on gunbroker.com or something like that.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
lfpiii said:
The only revolvers I have every seen really rust unless we are talking abuse is a Ruger. I thin it is the type of steel used.

Not true for me anyway. I've bought many a S&W over the years, and removed the stocks to find the speckling someone else posted about here. I have to really watch it on my own s/s Smiths for the same reason. That's another plus about Airweights, LOL, is that they don't suffer that problem.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Range Report:

I had the SP at the range yesterday for a little fun. Besides the usual 38SP loads, which it handles very well as expected, I had a few culls from some of the 38-44 loads I had made up based on Brian Pearce's article in Handloader #243. These either had bumped noses or smiley cuts in the soft lead part from the seating die and I had them along just to use up.

The load was about 5% under Pearce's starting load for a 125JHP at 38-44 levels using Power Pistol. You know...competent handloaders always start low and work up. It is on the photo, but ****bear in mind that it is well above standard or even +P 38 Special load data and should not be used except as discussed in his article!!**** in guns capable of handling near 357 Mag levels. I did not have the chrono set up to test the load. His starting load gave 1181 fps in a 6.5" inch S&W Outdoorsman. I suspect this reduced load in the shorter barrel is probably near 1050fps. It certainly gave the "magnum" crack and boom.

The target is a standard 25-yard pistol target except since someone had left it there with just 3 holes in it I shot it at 50 yards from the benchrest using my range case as a forearm rest.

I think the little SP101 and this load promise decent performance. I normally expect a better 50 yard group than this from my 3" 357Mag SP101 with handloads, but this was a pleasant surprise from the 2.25" one using culled loads. More importantly, it shot pretty close to the sights.

HPIM4632-1.jpg

The primers did not show any signs of excessive pressure, and extraction was normal and easy.

HPIM4634.jpg

I plan to shoot the remainder of these handloads for accuracy and chrono them, then may bump up the next batch to Pearce's start load. Although... this one does seem to work pretty well.