Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
This guy flew into the backyard to have a look around. :D :D
Eastern Great Egret (Ardea modesta)

000_0005.jpg

...Jimbo

Snake45

Hawkeye
Only thing I know about egrets is, they show up in crossword puzzles a lot (along with rocs and emus). :wink: :lol:

We get them (and Blue Herons) out in the fields in Southern California hunting ground squirrels, mice, lizards and snakes. People don't realize what active raptors egrets and herons are-they'll eat anything alive that they can swallow, NOT just fish.

Great pic!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
When these guys hunt they bend their necks into an 'S' shape and move their heads side to side to range their prey. Then they sneak up on a lizard or small fish and strike, sometimes piercing their prey with that sharp beak. They will then toss it up in the air to get it going head first down their throat. 8) 8)

Video of Egret catching some small fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rc1nvp2rzo

...Jimbo

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Mike Armstrong said:
We get them (and Blue Herons) out in the fields in Southern California hunting ground squirrels, mice, lizards and snakes.

Hi,

I grew up thinking these guys were "water" birds, but learned later what Mike's talking about. Strangest place I've seen egrets was in a freshly plowed field out in the middle of the desert, just going to town on whatever critters had been turned up. Closest water was probably 30 miles away--Colorado River--so they had a bit of a "commute."

Beautiful birds (if you DON'T have a fish pond! My next door neighbor doesn't quite share my view!)

Rick C

Latest posts