A little bird

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger45

Blackhawk
Says all the machines are set up for the new shotgun line.
Now if they could just figure out where the start button is. :lol: :lol:

egl52

Single-Sixer
I hope you're right, but if I had a nickel for every time I heard that Ruger was "just about ready to produce new shotguns" I'd be at least $1 richer. My wish is that this time it will be true!

trapperon

Blackhawk
Prob be the LCS. Lightweight compact shotgun.....full polymer of course. Slow but sure all of bill rugers babys are dying off. Red label, old army, 77/22, 77 magnum and Number 1 running on fumes. A sign of the times I know....but dang.....sure miss that gorgeous blue/walnut era!

Ron

wwb

Hunter
egl52 said:
......... if I had a nickel for every time I heard that Ruger was "just about ready to produce new shotguns" I'd be at least $1 richer..........

You and me both.

I see breaking into the shotgun market as an uphill battle. Pick any niche, and you're up against well-established competition. With any action type at any price point, you need to either match them on quality and beat them on price, or match them on price and beat them on quality. Given Ruger's history with shotguns, neither seems very likely. A $300-$400 pump, a $600-$900 semi-auto, or a $1500 O/U already faces multiple competitors.

If you ran the company, what would you do? Look at it from a business standpoint when considering the entire market. In which case, buying one just because it's a Ruger doesn't count for squat. For every guy who would buy it just because it's a Ruger, there are a million guys who feel the same about a Remington, Benelli, Beretta, Browning, SKB......

I'm with hunter on this one, it's a definite shame e Ruger's current offerings, as it relates to the shotgun market. If Bill were here I'm sure he'd remind everyone at corporate that sometimes newer is not better, sometimes it's best to stay with proven products with very slight changes (for the better of course). Course the folks on this board are the exception as we'd pay the price, not so the average buyer (shopper).

egl52

Single-Sixer
trapperon said:
Prob be the LCS. Lightweight compact shotgun.....full polymer of course. Slow but sure all of bill rugers babys are dying off. Red label, old army, 77/22, 77 magnum and Number 1 running on fumes. A sign of the times I know....but dang.....sure miss that gorgeous blue/walnut era!

Ron

You're probably right, Ron. I was surprised at how quickly Ruger pulled the plug on the revamped Red Label. If you can't make a profit on a quality blued steel and walnut double gun at the price they were asking, which was very reasonable, then I don't see how they'll ever justify going high-end again. If they do come out with a new shotgun, I bet it will be competing at the low-end of the market. I'll buy one nonetheless of course!

egl52

Single-Sixer
wwb said:
If you ran the company, what would you do? Look at it from a business standpoint when considering the entire market. In which case, buying one just because it's a Ruger doesn't count for squat. For every guy who would buy it just because it's a Ruger, there are a million guys who feel the same about a Remington, Benelli, Beretta, Browning, SKB......

I would have said you were exactly right before I saw what happened with the SR-1911 and the AR-556. Both were introduced to absolutely saturated markets, and both continue to sell very well. There must be more than enough people who will buy those just because they're Rugers. I bet the same would be true for a low-end shotgun, either pump or semi-auto.

wwb

Hunter
egl52 said:
I would have said you were exactly right before I saw what happened with the SR-1911 and the AR-556. Both were introduced to absolutely saturated markets, and both continue to sell very well. There must be more than enough people who will buy those just because they're Rugers. I bet the same would be true for a low-end shotgun, either pump or semi-auto.

Semi-automatic handguns and AR-15s were being sold as fast as they could be built during the recent gun-buying panic, which has now eased off. It will bear watching to see if they continue to be hot sellers. Take note of the fact that Ruger recently dropped the price on their AR.

The only shotguns that saw any real benefit from the buying panic were the "tactical" short-barrel pistol grip type..... sales of traditional shotguns were marginally higher, but nothing compared to ARs, handguns, and stubby shotguns. I wish Ruger all the best in their endeavor, but I hold out little hope for a long-term successful product.

9x19

Hunter
I'll wait until the LCRx 3" adjustable sight .22 is released.

I already have all the other bases covered.

The words from the Ruger reps at SHOT did not prompt me to start saving for one though.

Let's not forget that the new bestest thing now are the AR platform in .308
2sb7p78.jpg

5of7

Hunter
As the years roll by, there is less and less demand for AAA Walnut attached to deep blued shotguns and rifles.

The younger set is looking for a tool to go on an adventure with, in which case Stainless steel and plastic stocks are the way to go.

At 80, I am glad I lived and worked during a time in America when working and hunting as a blue collar guy was probably the best time to be involved in either pursuit.

The old man told me when he was about due to check out;"don't worry about dying son, if you live long enough, you won't give a damn." 8)

pete44ru

Hunter
Ruger45 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath, waiting.

I my experience with "new" Ruger releases since WBR's passing, there are only a smattering of samples made for the gun rag articles, then a decision made on if/when/how-many of whatever will be made, based on the perceived demand.

mac66

Single-Sixer
A Ruger shotgun is a no brainer IMO. Look how many people got into shooting (and bought Rugers) during the last 8 years. They've developed a whole new customer base with their pocket pistols and ARs. Give them a shotgun and they will buy it. Heck I'm old school but I'd buy a Ruger shotgun over a Mossberg, Remington or Benelli/other foreign shotgun.

chet15

Hawkeye
pete44ru said:
Ruger45 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath, waiting.

I my experience with "new" Ruger releases since WBR's passing, there are only a smattering of samples made for the gun rag articles, then a decision made on if/when/how-many of whatever will be made, based on the perceived demand.

I actually think this one is pretty close (they've been working on them for several years now...they hired a Browning man for this project a few years ago)
Ruger is working on two designs...a semi auto and a pump. The pump is a top load design.
Chet15

wwb

Hunter
chet15 said:
......... The pump is a top load design.
Chet15
?????? Like the old Winchester lever action shotgun?

As Desi Arnaz used to say on "I Love Lucy", "You got some 'splainin' to do."