A Graceful Double Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pete44ru

Hunter

An Acier (steel) Mannesman Special 20ga round action lightweight SxS hammer gun with back action locks @ 28-1/2" extractor barrels.

ddLdmeDl.jpg

pbyovLBl.jpg

Gu8ZFuFl.jpg

fyu0lPml.jpg

uXzbyJdl.jpg

I've always desired a hammer shotgun. Do you hunt with it? Do you carry it hammers fully cocked with breech open? That would seem like the only way to get flushing birds unless you had a reliable pointing dog?

pete44ru

Hunter
Mike Armstrong said:
Any proof marks on that little guy ?

I would expect a "crown over ELG" (Belgian) but it could be French or even German, I guess.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks !

Mike, the proofmarks are a crowned vertical oval like Belgian, but instead of the normal "E" over "L G", they're stamped "M" over "C M" - so I'm a little mystified by the proofmarks.

AFAIK, "ACIER" is French for steel, but I cannot find a like proofmark in all my references, for French, German, Austrian or Belgian proof's.

pete44ru

Hunter

The questions I had were:

The top of the barrel rib is marked: ACIER MANNESMAN SPECIAL (Mannesmann ?)

* Was this gun made by someone named Mannesmann ?

[ Not likely - I've since found out that Mannesmann Group made steel tubes, so it looks like "Acier Mannesman" (Mannesmann steel) was used for the barrels, and so advertised on the top rib]

* Could the barrels be Damascus, even though I can find no pattern and AFAIK, "acier" is French for steel ?

- [ No (see above)]

* Might it have 2-1/2" chambers, since there's no chamber length marks ?

- [The chambers measured out @ 2-3/4" long]

pete44ru

Hunter
golferboy426 said:
I've always desired a hammer shotgun. Do you hunt with it? Do you carry it hammers fully cocked with breech open? That would seem like the only way to get flushing birds unless you had a reliable pointing dog?

I apologize for missing your post/question - and, yes, I intend to hunt with it, and hunt with it the same way that I hunt with my other hammer guns (lever-actions, Browning 1885, break-open single bbl shotguns, etc).

With any hammer gun, I carry the gun @ waist level with my trigger hand on the wrist and that thumb atop the hammer spur, so I can cock it smoothly in one motion as I raise the gun for the shot.

pete44ru

Hunter

Thanks, Del !

As an aside, while surfing for info about Belgian gun marks today, I read that Belgian shotguns with only the word "CHOKE" and the bore size, which is what's stamped onto the barrel bottom of this example, were made after 1924 - which leads me to believe that this gun may have also been made after 1924 ?