Sept. Gun show find..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

....well with the really nice weekend and fall has arrived, was expecting a slow ,quiet show. it was last weekend....but turned out to be alright for us and once again, passed family brought us a nice one, and could not say "NO".......very early Old Army in the boxes, and has a brass grip frame, the manual is date Oct 1972..........out of our collecting realm but they made me an offer I could not refuse for helping their Dad out years ago............. ;)
now we gotta go back and do our homework...........:cool::rolleyes:

Attachments

• BP7B # 140-10925 manual dated 10-72.JPG
    BP7B # 140-10925 manual dated 10-72.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 107
  • BP7B #140-10925    a.JPG
    BP7B #140-10925 a.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 113
  • BP7B #14010925 rt side set.JPG
    BP7B #14010925 rt side set.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 104

G2

Hunter
Very Nice package!
My shooter Brass GF OA in the same vintage 140-1033X

G2, was your gun also shipped it a "label over" the old model Blackhawk box??? I had sold a few years ago, an Old Army just a few numbers higher than this one, with a P7 10-7-73 manual and it was in the "new model" red,white letters, folding box.......with a red end label.........I still have this box around here someplace........

Attachments

• Ruger Old Army 1973.JPG
    Ruger Old Army 1973.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

G2

Hunter
I have for the most part sold all of my "collector" gun, the reason I called it my current gun "Shooter". I
I like having and using guns that have the unusual, early features, but have had the true collector value removed for various reasons.
To me the BGF OA is the ultimate OA.
Your package as pictured is Perfect, and will make a COLLECTOR happy to be the Custodian Caregiver.

FWIW: I put my SN# in my post, as I have noticed over the years that a lot of the 10,000 SN# guns got shipped with the BGF.., I know there is a list out there,
I personally appreciate it,,, not really my interest.
Enthusiast Accumulator not so much a Collector.🙄

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
....well with the really nice weekend and fall has arrived, was expecting a slow ,quiet show. it was last weekend....but turned out to be alright for us and once again, passed family brought us a nice one, and could not say "NO".......very early Old Army in the boxes, and has a brass grip frame, the manual is date Oct 1972..........out of our collecting realm but they made me an offer I could not refuse for helping their Dad out years ago............. ;)
now we gotta go back and do our homework...........:cool::rolleyes:
Was the show OGCA?

no this was a local show for us, the Akron/Summit county show, near to home,,,we missed the OGCA the week before as we had gone to Maumee Valley Gun Collectors in Bowling green, had to visit the family of the late Don W. My wife visit with Bev and I went to the Maumee show to sit with Dons son, Brian...was a pretty quiet, slow show and we had heard so was the OGCA same day, weekend, and not a good drive for me anymore with the bum knee........sadly the days of our driving straight through to Tulsa,OK., 16 hours on the road, are done but the sadder fact is the guys I rode it with all GONE, Don W, Bill E .,and Bob C........miss them and the long ride chit-chat, etc......:(
....and yes, per our homework, check in with the factory it will letter as "shipped as a BP7 B" with the brass grip frame......(y)(y)

Last edited:

G2

Hunter
…Moved, not thinking and trampling this thread,,,
a Progress Report on a OA I aquired from rugerguy a few years back.
This thread got me a thinkin.

Last edited:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I've got two Old Army revolvers in the yellow Blackhawk box with a sticker and they are both in the same general SN range as yours.

140-10341 - standard alloy frame
140-10409 - brass frame

All three are 1973 vintage. They must have run out of the black and red boxes along in there and used leftover OM Blackhawk yellow boxes until they ran out of those. They also used up leftover 7.5" OM Blackhawk yellow boxes on the first New Model .45 and .30 guns with 7.5" barrels.

The flimsy reddish orange and white boxes are printed with a 1973 date under the lid, so it was all happening around the same time. As far as I've seen, they didn't ship 7.5" NM Super Blackhawks in the yellow OM boxes though. I have a few same-number 2-digit sets with only the .30 and .45 in OM boxes (plus the Single Six but those are smaller OM black and red boxes). Might be the NM Supers were not assembled as early as the other calibers and by then the other box was available.

I kept this pic from the seller's ad when I bought the #86 guns because I thought it was nicely done:
1698000007448.png

L-to-R: .41 (6.5"), .45, Super, .357 (6.5"), .30, .22, no-prefix SS Old Army

Latest posts