A different SR9 post ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chris1

Bearcat
My only complaint about the sr9 is that there hasn't been a compact model made from the sr9 yet. Something with a short barrel and grip. For something with such a slim frame it would make a perfect concealed carry piece to replace my glock 19. I have only put 5 mags through the sr9 since new, but no complaints. I for one like to have a manual safety on my guns and this is a big issue for me. I also greatly appreciate the magazine disconnect safety and the gargantuan loaded chamber indicator. combined with the interchangeable backstraps and 17 rd capacity, this is the gun that I have been waiting for someone to make. I do not like seeing all the issues that people have had, but until this thing disappoints me I will remain a happy customer.

mrpchead

Bearcat
So, after singing the praises of my SR9 yesterday, I will now ask: are there any USPSA shooters with tigger mods shooting production? Ghost is supposed to be working on a Rocket for the SR9 but it isn't out yet. Anything else out there?

FYI, I did remove my mag disconnect due to the need to drop the hammer after unload and show clear during USPSA stages. I didn't notice any change at all in the trigger.

Another FYI, I noticed that the "gritty" trigger that my pistol had initially went away completely after the first major cleaning, which included working the trigger (you have to put forward pressure on the bar while pulling the trigger) while spraying CLP into it. This was followed with compressed air to remove junk and excess CLP.

scmartin23

Bearcat
I had barrel peening at 5800 rounds. Well I did have the raised lip where the slide and barrel come together. I called customer service and asked them if I filed the ridge off would it void my warranty. They said I needed to send it back.

Sent my gun back to Ruger and they replaced my barrel. Funny thing though. After I got it back I had a few instances where the gun would sometimes fire full auto for 3 or 4 rounds. That sort of went away buy came back during my last training class. I now have about 6600 rounds through the gun and am starting to wonder if something may be starting to wear.

graygun

Hunter
scmartin23":nr7rqzb1 said:
I had barrel peening at 5800 rounds. Well I did have the raised lip where the slide and barrel come together. I called customer service and asked them if I filed the ridge off would it void my warranty. They said I needed to send it back.

Sent my gun back to Ruger and they replaced my barrel. Funny thing though. After I got it back I had a few instances where the gun would sometimes fire full auto for 3 or 4 rounds. That sort of went away buy came back during my last training class. I now have about 6600 rounds through the gun and am starting to wonder if something may be starting to wear.

Full auto...not good in a semi. Keep us updated,please.

scmartin23

Bearcat
Will do. I field stripped my gun the other day. There was a lot of crud in and around the striker. I hadn't done that before. Someone on this site posted a link to Ruger's site with the video. It was so simple I should have done that sooner. I have two scheduled gun classes coming up shortly and will find out then if there is still a problem.

woodsman1st

Bearcat
I have run about 2500 to 3000 rounds through mY SR9, including the VERY HOT BUFFALO BORE brand ammo: listed as +P+ 115 grain G.D. @1400 FPS and M.E. 500 ft lbs. The hottest MAX load in my Speer Manual shows 1250 FPS and 399 M.E.; so this BUFFALO BORE ammo is hot! Yet I show no peaning of any kind. I usually keep my handloads around 10% below max; I cast my own h.p. bullets and my SR9 feeds em all; no FTF, FTE, or malfs of any kind.
However, about 2 months prior to my shooting the BUFFALO BORE ammo I found that my slide would not stay back on the last round; and at the same time I noticed that the magazine disconnect saftey isn't working. I dont know what caused this; because as I said that was long before I started using BUFFALO BORE; and I am meticulous in my reloading, always staying a minimum of 10% below max load. I don't reload for carry ammo where I am looking for power; I am loading for inexpensive & accurate loads so I can shoot a lot.

I didn't want to send my SR9 in for repair as it WAS my only carry gun; now I have a Ruger SP 101 and a Kel Tec 380 for my carry and a BUG. What seems to be the average turn around time for sending a pistol in for repair? I still prefer my SR9 for full time carry over the SP 101; and the Kel Tec is only my BUG. I really hate to send it away at all; as it's with me 24/7. I have never had to send a firearm in for repair before; will they send it to my home, or does it have to go through a FFL dealer? Who pays for freight both ways, and if it has to go through a FFL dealer who pays for that?

I have owned Rugers since the mid 1950s and this is the first time I have had to have one repaired; I still own 2 Rugers that I bought in 1957 and my 10/22 that I bought new in 1960 I believe. I love these Rugers; all 7 of them.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
Ken

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
woodsman1st":3bo7b2pw said:
I have run about 2500 to 3000 rounds through mY SR9, including the VERY HOT BUFFALO BORE brand ammo: listed as +P+ 115 grain G.D. @1400 FPS and M.E. 500 ft lbs. The hottest MAX load in my Speer Manual shows 1250 FPS and 399 M.E.; so this BUFFALO BORE ammo is hot! Yet I show no peaning of any kind. I usually keep my handloads around 10% below max; I cast my own h.p. bullets and my SR9 feeds em all; no FTF, FTE, or malfs of any kind.
However, about 2 months prior to my shooting the BUFFALO BORE ammo I found that my slide would not stay back on the last round; and at the same time I noticed that the magazine disconnect saftey isn't working. I dont know what caused this; because as I said that was long before I started using BUFFALO BORE; and I am meticulous in my reloading, always staying a minimum of 10% below max load. I don't reload for carry ammo where I am looking for power; I am loading for inexpensive & accurate loads so I can shoot a lot.

I didn't want to send my SR9 in for repair as it WAS my only carry gun; now I have a Ruger SP 101 and a Kel Tec 380 for my carry and a BUG. What seems to be the average turn around time for sending a pistol in for repair? I still prefer my SR9 for full time carry over the SP 101; and the Kel Tec is only my BUG. I really hate to send it away at all; as it's with me 24/7. I have never had to send a firearm in for repair before; will they send it to my home, or does it have to go through a FFL dealer? Who pays for freight both ways, and if it has to go through a FFL dealer who pays for that?

I have owned Rugers since the mid 1950s and this is the first time I have had to have one repaired; I still own 2 Rugers that I bought in 1957 and my 10/22 that I bought new in 1960 I believe. I love these Rugers; all 7 of them.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
Ken

It took 10 days to get my SR9 back, thats not bad at all!

woodsman1st

Bearcat
Wow; that is a big suprise to me; that I could live with. How about the fees; and did they ship it back to you, or did you have to pay somebody with an FFL?
Thanks for your reply 3legged
Ken

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
woodsman1st":5rbvp9e5 said:
Wow; that is a big suprise to me; that I could live with. How about the fees; and did they ship it back to you, or did you have to pay somebody with an FFL?
Thanks for your reply 3legged
Ken

I called Ruger and they sent me out a "Mailer' box [prepaid] for shipping to Ruger. You need to ask for a shipping box+ the mailer slip. You take to a UPS main shipping office, they over night it to Ruger. Ruger replaced the barrel for free and ship it back 10 days later to my HOUSE. :D

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
mrpchead":26gmmdd8 said:
I have a 1.5 year old SR9 (serial 330-24XXX) that I've shot at least 3,000 rounds through without any problems. Frankly I had never even looked at the barrel exterior closely until I heard all the sound and fury over "peening". Upon inspection I noticed some shine and wear around the barrel lugs but I don't care. All my guns show some signs of wear because I shoot them...alot.

I shoot USPSA with this pistol so it gets cleaned meticulously. I would love a lighter trigger as I am sure this would help my scores although among my club-mates I consistently outshoot the rest of the production shooters. Those guys are running a lot of Glock 17s, Sigs, H&K, etc. Search YouTube for "mrpchead" and you'll see the short fat guy shooting the crap out of an SR9. That would be me!

Nice videos, good to see someone else pushing hard with the SR9 on a course. I get all kinds of questions and looks when I shoot mine. New shooters to the monday night leagues always want to know what it is and, I've only had a few turn down my offer to shoot it. Had several come back a week or two later with one of their own.

As for my SR9's... Well they have been flawless. They are very accurate, more accurate than I am and shoot any ammo I've feed them without a single FTE or FTF. One has been tortured with any and all custom work I come up with, has been loaned to countless ppl to shoot the league night with, dropped down a flight of cement steps (don't ask), and is the first level test bed for prototyped parts, in general rode hard put up wet. It is the workhorse, it's been cleaned 4 times in over a year with well over a 1400 rds of mix match ammos through it. The other is stock other than the prototype parts coming on and off, it gets cleaned and shown, never a problem with it either.
I have enough faith in these quality made guns to start making aftermarket performance parts for them. Last year I carried one as my primary concealed carry weapon. I recommend SR9's to anyone looking for a great pistol.

woodsman1st

Bearcat
I second the motion as far a quality of the SR9; also to it's accuracy; I have been shooting revolvers for over 50 years and wouldnt switch to pistol due to lack of accuracy by comparison. Then I got hold of the SR9; best thing I can say for its accuracy is that I bought one, and it is my primary carry weapon; to sum up the accuracy; WOW! is the best thing I can say. Sorry Glock owners, you have a fine pistol; but the SR9 will shoot your socks off! I only wish that the Elsee pea was an SR9 cut down to same size. sigh wishfull thinking. With Rugers outstanding customer service and the SR9 you cant go wrong. The triggers are a tad rough on a few when new; but like all pistols they have a break in period; once past that the triggers are all you could ask for in a factory trigger and sear. Do a F&B on them and you can call it semi-customized. I love my Rugers; ALL SIX OF THEM; AND I HAVE LOVED THEM SINCE THE EARLY 1950S.! QUALITY + CUSTOMER SERVICE + PRICE = ONE HELLOFA BUY. (imho)
Ken