A different SR9 post ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Vecco

Single-Sixer
I have a very low Serial number, pre recall SR-9 and have no problems with it ATM. It did go back to the factory for a trigger reset problem, then the trigger recall, but since then it is fine. I carry it as my primary CC gun in the summer and a PT1911 in the winter. I have no problems trusting my life with MY SR-9… Guns I own that I don't carry ATM, SP101 W/CTL, XD-45, XD-40, Kimber Custom II, LCP.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have had my SR9 for almost two years and I am very pleased with it. I have shot it an awful lot and have had no real issues.

Chris

Blackhawk
I am wondering, maybe there was a problem with a specific lot number for the parts involved. Its odd that with so many rounds put through different weapons that have not experienced the peening problem, and the exact reverse is also true..odd

ltbarber

Bearcat
I would dearly love to have a peening problem with my SR9. That would mean that I was shooting mine a lot. But,since we can't get any ammo were I live,I can't shoot it like I planned to,and it does not peen. At the rate things have been going since october of last year,I will never get to shoot mine enough to get it to peen!! Rant off.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
coldarkstare":jep32m7n said:
have around 300 rounds thru my sr9 and have had no malfunctions or problems, as for the "peening" or what seems to be wear n tear im just in the same boat as the pics go (nothing major)from the response that B2D2Rug5 got,and it seems very accurate. will be glad to see some new upgrades come along soon for it. so in sayn think ill just keep an eye on it as i run some more ammo thru and have fun shooting :) and thanks for the info and response back from ruger B2D2Rug5.

So funny, when I called Ruger ,the lady told me this was the first case of peening she heard of. Do you realy think ruger is going to admit how many casses they had? Now I hear 10.....hahahahaha. They did send me a mailer and replace the barrel.The old barrel block was under size= lots of side play. The gun should of never been ship that way in the first place!

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
coldarkstare":1a7z9ryl said:
please keep me informed on how the new barrel works out for ya 3leggeddog. hey are you using gun oil or grease ? just curious is all.

The NEW barrel is alot better fit, no side play- lot more accurate, no peening so far. The old barrel peen bad after 450 rds.
I'm useing" Break Free LP "oil ,plus a little white grease on the rails. It gets cleaned after every outing! I pull out the Striker and clean it plus the channel it fits in every 200 rds. Its never miss a beat! That "Weapon Shield" may be worth trying also.

A

Anonymous

3leggeddog":15arprgi said:
So funny, when I called Ruger ,the lady told me this was the first case of peening she heard of. Do you realy think ruger is going to admit how many casses they had? Now I hear 10.....hahahahaha. They did send me a mailer and replace the barrel.The old barrel block was under size= lots of side play. The gun should of never been ship that way in the first place!

That is not cool. How long ago did you talk to them? My impression when they told me 10 was that only "ten or so" had actually shown peening...i think they are servicing them either way if people complained though.

recoilguy

Bearcat
I have 2 SR-9s silver and black and the Green and Black not that, that matters. One with only 500 or so rounds and the other with alot more then that. No peening and no real issues so to speak of.

I like the accuracy and the ablity to adjust the sights. It is very easy to break down and clean too. I really like the guns. I would recomend them to anyone loooking for a 400- 500 dollar Polymer autoloader. Most of the noise in the gun world is just people repeating what they have heard others say but have never actually touched or shot the gun. Yes there are dissatisfied owners, but I know about 8 guys personally besides me that have SR9's and not one of us is unhappy.

RCG

Chris

Blackhawk
Ruger is forth comming with all problems and potential problems and it certainly would NOT be unusual for them to tell you exactly(if known) how many legitamate peening problems they have encountered.

RCG

Make that 9 people you know, have well over 2000 through mine and not a problem.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
Chris":2bzzg61k said:
Ruger is forth comming with all problems and potential problems and it certainly would NOT be unusual for them to tell you exactly(if known) how many legitamate peening problems they have encountered.

RCG

Make that 9 people you know, have well over 2000 through mine and not a problem.

"Ruger is forth comming with all problems and potential problems"- And just how do you know all this ?? Thats a tall storie , please post your
FACTS ! Give links? In the last 4 to 5 months there's been 5 people beside me that had to send theirs in , just that we heard about in this forum. We dont know about all thoese who call Ruger that are not forum members!
I will say that Ruger has made alot of great guns over the years. Ruger is not the only gun manufacture to have trouble. nor with they be the last!
l

mrpchead

Bearcat
I have a 1.5 year old SR9 (serial 330-24XXX) that I've shot at least 3,000 rounds through without any problems. Frankly I had never even looked at the barrel exterior closely until I heard all the sound and fury over "peening". Upon inspection I noticed some shine and wear around the barrel lugs but I don't care. All my guns show some signs of wear because I shoot them...alot.

I shoot USPSA with this pistol so it gets cleaned meticulously. I would love a lighter trigger as I am sure this would help my scores although among my club-mates I consistently outshoot the rest of the production shooters. Those guys are running a lot of Glock 17s, Sigs, H&K, etc. Search YouTube for "mrpchead" and you'll see the short fat guy shooting the crap out of an SR9. That would be me!

recoilguy

Bearcat
I have a short fat SR9 shooting buddy too. He is a good shooter too. I am glad someone uses an SR9 toshoot competitively. I don't hear about it much.

RCG

Jeff H

Bearcat
Add me to the list of SR9 users with no issues with the gun at all. Somewhere over the 1000 round mark and making the transition to lead handloads and no issues with the gun. It goes bang every time and doesn't have peening problems.

If there was a complaint to be had, it would be that I can't shoot it as accurately as my 1911 or any single action revolver, but I guess that can be said about every striker fired pistol.