7x57 a real 'classic'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Some comments on another thread started me thinking about the long past days when the 7x57 was my primary deer cartridge. I 'got the fever' and assembled my 7x57 using a Mark X 24" barreled action and a Ramline synthetic stock but I don't remember the scope (probably a 2-7 or 3-9 something or other). 175 grain factory ammo performance was dismal but Nosler 140 BT worked exceptionally well (both accuracy and terminal performance). I shot a LOT of deer with that rifle and it really never let me down. We used it a little with 140 grain factory loads as a "reduced recoil" rifle for a couple of beginning hunters with OK results (short ranges and open areas).
IIRC, My longest shot with the 7x57/ Nosler BT combo was around 400 yards and the buck went down on the spot. This wasn't a short range 'shoot them in the butt' bullet but it was great otherwise.
After the kids were grown, I shifted to longer range rifles and took any decent shot since I wasn't fixated on getting the kids a good chance. The 7x57 was replaced by a super accurate 25/06 and the 7x57 went on the shelf-somewhat disrespectful of it's potential.

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I love the 275 Rigby/7x57, I have the Ruger African and this custom full stocked rifle built on a pre-64 Model 70 action with period Kollmorgan scope
3F1FBA9E-5F71-4FC0-B99E-BB8226C7E385.jpeg

Interesting, the 7mm Mauser Cartridge.

As so many others, this cartridge survived many generations as a very respected hunting cartridge.

I bought a Ruger 77 at one time, chambered in .275 Rigby, which is the British designation of the same cartridge.

I've usually never had problems locating ammo or components for just about anything I've ever owned or shot, but it's interesting the 7mm Mauser/.275 Rigby became scarce, and in my experience it has remained so.

Through my creativity, I would still have access to this cartridge, but for so many other folks, the difficulties in finding this ammo available could create issues that might spell the demise of this cartridge as a known and respected hunting round.

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
Ah, the 7 x 57. My first and only love as cartridges go. My love of the 7 x 57 began in high school, when I was 15-16. I was trying to decide on what would be my caliber for big game. I read alot of Jack O'Connor and his wife Eleanor. But what finally sold me on a decision I have no regrets for was an article in Sports Afield by Russel Annabel. I've often wished I could find that article again, but his talk of the 7 x 57 solidified my choice and I did not look back. When I was 16 I bought a M95 Mauser 7 x 57 and sporterised it based on Jack O'Connor's description of what a proper bolt action rifle should look like. I used a Bishop Stock, added a Beuhler Safety, a Neider Butt Plate and Grip Cap from Brownell's, and William's Ramp Front Sight and Peep Rear Sights. It doesn't sound like much, but, it was mine. I took my first of several deer and a large bear with it. I still have it, though I don't hunt with it any more. Then in 1981, I bought a Winchester M70 Featherweight in 7 x 57, and mounted a Leupold 4X Compact scope. This has been my go to rifle, taking bear, deer, and elk. Always using the 175 grain round nosed soft point. I have other rifles, but, year after year I go back to my faithful 7 x 57. Thanks Russel, Jack and Eleanor! Another writer who was a fan of the 7 x 57 was Finn Aagaard, who I enjoyed as well. Anyway, I've enjoyed alot of good years with a great rifle and cartridge. I hope to enjoy many more to come. Thanks Mobuck for the read and stirring the memories, thanks Bullthrower for the photo of a beautiful rifle!

Paul B

Hunter
The following is a post I made on another site earlier this morning. While it appears to be more negative toward the cartridge it was not my intention as I really like the round. I guess if I didn't, I wouldn't try so hard to make it work for me.

One the years I've has something like love/hate relationship with the 7x57. First instance was with a neat little 1893 Mauser someone had made inoi a Rigby style sporter. I was living in a small town in Nevada and the only 7x57 ammo on hand was some Federal 175 gr. round nose. Well, the cartridge made its reputation on similar loads and I could stalk well enough should I see a deer so I took it out opening day. About 8AM I spotted a nice eating size buck and took the shot. Easy shot at roughly 75 yards and the deer took off. My wife who was with me and I searched for that deer until it was too dark to see anything. I found what the coyotes had left the next day. Shortly after that I sold that rifle.

My next 7x57 was a Ruger M77 that I founds on consignment at a local LGS. I had one hell of a time finding an accurate load but took it hunting anyway I'd found a load that did 2" so went with that. Never saw a deer that year and a few problems with the rifle besides poor accuracy so it got traded off.

I fond a Ruger #1A in 7x57 that was fairly priced but frankly I never could get a decent group. When I took it to my gunsmith one of the first thing he dod and do a chamber cast. Rifles aren't supposed to have 2+" throats so back to Ruger it went. It's a decent shooter now but I almost dumped it as well.

Next was a Winchester XTR Featherweight and it has been a pleasure to work with after my gunsmith glass bedded and did a proper trigger job. Barrel fouled badly and it took some long hours getting the copper out. A firelapping job has pretty much cure that problem and it groups better that before the firelap.

About a year later I got the urge for a custom rifle and used an FN Mauser that was a .270 Win. rebarreled it to 7x57 and put it into a stock. came out real nice. Problem is when I got that 270 way back when as part of a trade, it had a problem so I stuck it in the closet and forgot about it. I didn't remember why I'd stuck it away and as the problem was intermittent, neither did my gunsmith.

Did a deer hunt with the M70 XTR, shot a deer which though not a fault of the cartridge or rifle ruined a knee to the point I needed to be helped off the mountain. I've only lost/not recovered two deer that I've shot and both were with the 7x57.

last but not least, I was headed to the range to do a final check on the sights of my M70 XTR 7x57 two days prior to leaving for New Mexico for a cow elk meat hunt. Bad car wreck that totaled my truck and put me in hospital for fours days, thus losing my hunt and the deposit.

I'm seriously beginning to think the 7x57, at least for me is a jinx, a Jonah as far as a hunting cartridge. I've never had any kind of problems using various rifles on game except the 7x57. Only lost two deer in many years of hunting and both were shot with the 7x57. Since that car wreck I've been to messed up to even do a hunt and at 85 years old, not sure I'll ever do another, DAMMIT!
PJ
Paul B.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I bought a Ruger 77 in 7 x 57 back in the mid 80s. Used it as a "deer" rifle one season, no luck as I never was a successful hunter.
A friend swapped me his Ruger #1 in .270 for it. We were both happy.

About 10 years later my son sold me a Ruger #1 International in 7 x 57 that he had..
Really cute little rifle but since I no longer hunted I sold it some time later.

The 7x57 is my favorite caliber and my Ruger 1-A in 7x57 has been my go-to rifle for the past 40 years. Mine is from 1977 with the long throat for the 175 grain bullets, but I shoot 140 grain bullets. I inserted a rubber washer between the forearm hanger and the barrel, and the groups tightened up substantially.

Ruger 1-A.JPG

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
7x57 is one of the few relatively common rifle calibers I've never owned, but I have respect for it and it's history of very successful use on game worldwide. I certainly would not feel ill-armed with one for any game up to medium-heavy stuff. Factory ammo has always been pretty seriously underloaded in deference to some older not-so-strong actions so chambered, and my reading suggests it can be greatly improved with judicious handloading.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Basically ALL the ammunition commercially loaded for military calibers is kept to pressure levels determined to be safe for rifles in sound condition however old they are. The cartridge boxes carried warnings to this effect.
As the 7 X 57 came on the scene in the 1890s in rifles like the 1893 Mauser it could definitely be souped up a bit, depending on what the rifle is that will be used.

Paul B

Hunter
"As the 7 X 57 came on the scene in the 1890s in rifles like the 1893 Mauser it could definitely be souped up a bit, depending on what the rifle is that will be used."

I'm of the opinion that those 1893, 1895 and 1896 Mausers are not quit as weak as has been claimed. I read somewhere that a few years back someone had some of them tested to 100 KSPI without any problems with pressure. I think it was the H.P. White Laboritories that did the test.

The only drawback to them is if one blows a primer or has a case head separation, partial or full, that they do not handle escaping gas well. In other words you's get a snootfull of gas in the face. The only guns of that period I would not shoot, and that goes even with the weak factory stuff are the Remington Rolling Blocks sold to some South American countries back in the day.

I'm basing this on articles I've read that were written back in the 1930s. Some of the writers back then were affiliated with companies like Winchester and Reminton. Cheap surplus 93 and 95 Mausers were qiute common especially into the early 1950s when new guns were still hard to get after WW2. Those cheap military rifles of all kinds took a deep bite into profits of Winchester and Remington back then so it would not surprise me at all that they were behind all the negative stuff about those "old weak Mausers".

Think about it. Would a country are its soldiers with a weak gun that could fail at any time?

Nor am I advocating one should load uber hot loads in one of those rifles. Should one do so, they do it at their own risk. I just contend that they may not be as weak as some would have you believe.
Paul B.

RSIno1

Hunter
I tried to get a Ruger #1A in 7x57 after shooting one that belonged to one of the guys I worked with. I had that rifle in .243 and the 7x57 would have been perfect in it.
I bought a NIB red pad No1 from GTXMONTE when he was selling his dad's stuff. I haven't shot it yet - they are only new once.......

Attachments

• 1A 7x57.jpg
    1A 7x57.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 54

aciera

Bearcat
275 Rigby…….my buddy's plains rifle for 7 African trips.
Culled a giraffe with one shot.
I bought the rifle from him. FN Mauser
It and myself are both 1952 models.

I loaded ammo for the Mark X to 'modern firearms' pressures and got better than 7mm08 performance. During the period that I was using the 7x57, I was feeding 2 families=9 people (legality may have been a bit sketchy but the hungry folks didn't mind) with that rifle. I always ran out of deer tags before I ran out of season.