Makes a guy wonder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just how many coyotes are hanging around here. The boys have been setting coyote traps to remove some of the predator presence near their goat pastures. In the past few days their traps have caught 5 female coyotes of breeding age from 4 traps set in the straight north/south line 1/4 mile long bisecting a wooded/brushy travel corridor. Another 3 legged female was shot on the same travel corridor 1/2 mile east of this line of traps. I've shot two other coyotes that weren't recovered so not counting those. That's a lot of females taken out of production since the start of the breeding season.
As I understand it, the females sort of establish their territory based on choice denning locations? If so, I wonder how/why all these females are in such a concentrated area?? We do have a large number of deer but literally ZERO small game( with good reason?).
Anyhoo, we're hoping for some weather conditions conducive to calling those now lonely male coyotes in for a rendezvous with a V-Max or two.

We reset the two sprung traps and made a fresh set in a grass strip along an open crop field. It's getting so muddy that access to some areas is difficult and tears up field roads so not extending sets beyond current area.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I wish I were in your area - I'd love to hunt that wily creature.

In April 2019 I went hunting for them in north central Washington - saw evidence of their kills, but not a single coyote in 3 days. Plenty of deer and turkey - but they knew we couldn't hunt them and they just smiled at us.

We probably chose the wrong time of year for coyote.

One reason there are so many yoties here is the amount of cover. Primarily pasture land with lots of broken ground and patches of thick brush/woods. I live on the edge of a creek drainage with no habitation in an area 2 miles wide x 8-10 miles long. The only human incursion is during deer season except for vehicles on the county roads.
This area has been a haven for coyotes since the mid-1960's when they first showed up. I killed the first coyote in the local area in 1969 or 1970. By the late 70's there were so many that I was feeding my family and paying utility bills with coyote fur. :)

Hankus

Blackhawk
One reason there are so many yoties here is the amount of cover. Primarily pasture land with lots of broken ground and patches of thick brush/woods. I live on the edge of a creek drainage with no habitation in an area 2 miles wide x 8-10 miles long. The only human incursion is during deer season except for vehicles on the county roads.
This area has been a haven for coyotes since the mid-1960's when they first showed up. I killed the first coyote in the local area in 1969 or 1970. By the late 70's there were so many that I was feeding my family and paying utility bills with coyote fur. :)
Which part of MO?

Latest posts