77 Tang Safety scope ring screws question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Hi there.

Is the old tang safety ring screws the same as the 77 Hawkeye screws? Mine is in a not so great condition and would like to replace them. We do not have a Brownells like you guys and I was hoping that I could get spare screws from a Ruger dealer, as they should keep some for the Hawkeye rifles.

Thanks

Pieter

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Yes they should all be the same except the new ones will have a torx head vs the slotted. They can also be had direct from ruger.

Randomguy

Bearcat
j p sixguns welldone said:
Yes they are the same if you want to keep it original I have some of them let me know JP

I could use a few original slotted type. Details?

Yes, the same screws. In a pinch you can use the front gripframe screw off your Ruger revolver... (which is also a hint for those wishing to "refresh" their original slotted screws). Over here it's certainly cheaper to get them from Ruger as they are 6 bucks for 8 screws (the new torx type screw) from Ruger and from Brownells or similar they run something like 3 bucks per screw as I recall.

Chief 101

Hunter
cellar701 said:
Yes, the same screws. In a pinch you can use the front gripframe screw off your Ruger revolver... (which is also a hint for those wishing to "refresh" their original slotted screws). Over here it's certainly cheaper to get them from Ruger as they are 6 bucks for 8 screws (the new torx type screw) from Ruger and from Brownells or similar they run something like 3 bucks per screw as I recall.
I got some of the new style from Ruger a while back for 3$ for a set of 8+s/h...

5of7

Hunter
I am not sure about Ruger ring screws, but weaver rings take a #6x40 screw and can be had at any mill supple store for a lot less money.

The Torx head is much better than either the slotted head or the Allen head screws, but you will need the proper driver. 8)

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
I appreciate the info, thanks a lot.

In South-Africa I battle to find the info I need. In most instances I know more about 77s than the dealer does and I only know that much.

Have good weekend.

Pieter