77/44-are barrels free floated?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

langenc

Single-Sixer
For those w/ 77/44s. Id appreciate it if youd check and see if your barrel is anywhere near free floated.

Mine aint and Im getting 3-4" fifty yd 'groups'. Im also wondering how much the crimp pressure will affect group size?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Mine started life in a walnut stock. Slight pressure point at the tip of the forearm. Put it in a synthetic stock again slight pressure point at tip of forearm.

As for the crimp depending on powder it can make a world of difference. A heavy crimp can ensure consistent ignition. Accuracy can almost always be improved when more variables are consistent.

What loads have you tried. Mine will shoot 1 1/2" at fifty and around 3" at 100. Most any bullet that will fit in the mag max load of H110 or 296 heavy factory crimp. My go to bullet is the now discontinued Nolser 250 grain partition. Have heard from others that they have had better luck with heavier bullets instead of the typical 240 grain options.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Ive done Sierra 240 gr #8610 w/ W296, 21 and 22 gr. Ive crimped some but how much is enough or 'heavy' as the reloading manuals say??

I did get some nice looking cast w/ gaschecks from another shooter here on the net. They weighed about 265-267 gr, were very nicely made. Got 4-5" out of them. I used 19.5-296 on those and 'some' crimp.

I scrubbed the barrel good yesterday and have relieved stock pressure some more (very little more) since last range trip. I did note where the bolt release spring was riding/gouging the stock and removed a tad there??Have to get out again next week and try some f the non-gas checked the gentleman supplied me with. They weigh right at 250 gr. Im going to try some tite group or lilgun and roll the dice. But first Ill do some of the same loads Ive done before to see what has happened, if anything.Thanks

PS I was trying to foind some Noslers Partitions and finally realized they have been DCd.