77/357 load development info needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Powderblast

Bearcat
I have a Ruger 77/357 I want to develop a load for. What is the twist rate for this rifle
and what bullet weight would be ideal for that twist rate? Also any pet loads already proven'
as accurate in your 77/357?

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
That thing has a 1:16" twist and is reputed to shoot about anything it can chamber with accuracy depending on powder and bullet combination used.
About all I may be able to provide (once you have arrived on the preferred bullet) would be published load data from a few sources.
Also decide if you want the load to be usable for a revolver or not. Some loads can be safely arranged to accommodate use of either.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't have a 77/357 but in my 357 rifle I use Max loads of Accurate #9 and H-110 with 158gr and 180gr XTP's and get good performance.

Powderblast

Bearcat
Thank you for the replies. The load could be for rifle only. I just thought that the twist rate
for that rifle might prefer either the lighter or heavier bullets and would concentrate my
load development with a little up front knowledge that would also save a little money on jacketed
bullets. I cast my own 158 gr Lee SWC, but am looking for a really good light jacketed tack driving
load. I was hoping to find a 110 or 125 gr jacketed I could push pretty fast out of that rifle accurately,
that is if the twist would allow it.I carry it in the back of my UTV on the farm, or sometimes a
Rossi lever 16 inch carbine 357 with skinner peep sights. They're both great ride along farm guns.
The cast Lee bullet shoots great in the Rossi, but I am hoping with the scoped Ruger with light bullets
to extend out to 175 yds or so with the lighter bullets. I was hoping someone might have such a load
that shot well in their 77/357 that I might try in mine and with luck save some time and money. I know
every rifle is different, but hope springs eternal.

wwb

Hunter
If there is any concern with twist rate, it would be with the heavier bullets. Lighter (therefore shorter) bullets do not require as much spin to be stable as a heavier (therefore longer) bullet. In .357 caliber, even a 180 grain bullet is no problem with a 1:16 twist.... especially with a rifle, as the muzzle velocity, hence the spin rate, will be higher than with a revolver.

Noting that you're talking about some pretty long shots, you might consider the heavier bullets. The ballistic coefficient of a 125 grain .357 bullet is pretty dismal. It might be faster out of the muzzle but it's gonna shed velocity real fast.

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
Mine shot really well with a 158gr XTP over 17.8gr of Hodgdon Lil'Gun. 16.0gr H110 also good but not as fast.

700xcr

Bearcat
Not a Ruger M77, but a Marlin 1894C 18.5" lever gun I use 16.0grs H110 powder with a Speer 158gr. soft point.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
My Henry shoots 158 grain jacketed hollow points over a hefty load of 4227 really well. For plinking, which is what this rifle sees the vast majority of the time, I just use a 158 grain plated or coated over Universal about 3/4 up the ladder. Nearly as accurate, and cheaper to shoot. That Henry is so much fun to shoot, it sees a lot of ammo every week.

The issue I had with the 4227 load was I ran out of room in the case long before I reached max.