.480 shooters?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
A while back I lucked into a 4 1/2" SBH Bisley in .480. I immediately started casting and powder coating for it but the bugaboo has been .480 brass. So to solve it I bought several hundred .475 LB and chopped them down to 480 length. They work fine so I'm pretty set for a while. Since factory ammo is either unobtanium or priced at $4-$5 a round I'm committed to long term brass acquisition and hoping starline tools up for .480 sooner than later but till then I'm still on the hunt for more native brass.

How are other .480 owners handling this ammo issue?

Butterfield

Bearcat
Fortunately I had gotten quite a bit of components just prior to everything
going wierd. Hopefully you can come up with what you need. The brass is
pretty long lived. Stuff is slowly making it's way back to the new normal

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
A while back I lucked into a 4 1/2" SBH Bisley in .480. I immediately started casting and powder coating for it but the bugaboo has been .480 brass. So to solve it I bought several hundred .475 LB and chopped them down to 480 length. They work fine so I'm pretty set for a while. Since factory ammo is either unobtanium or priced at $4-$5 a round I'm committed to long term brass acquisition and hoping starline tools up for .480 sooner than later but till then I'm still on the hunt for more native brass.

How are other .480 owners handling this ammo issue?
I guess I simply lucked into right time, right place. When I first got my 6 1/2" SBH, ammo was still available and Starline had brass in stock. I bought a few boxes of ammo and a small supply of brass. A few months later, I noticed .480 ammo going on sale around my area. I talked to a friend who is a local FFL that told me the .480 didn't seem to sell well here and he was "closing it out" 🤷‍♂️
I immediately bought everything he had and started checking all the stores within 50 miles. Ended up buying everything I found. Wound up with about 300 rounds of factory all bought at discounted prices. Kinda like hitting it big on ye olde slot machine. Then I had Jack Huntington build me a .475 JRH Special (basically a .480 short). Jack cut .480 brass down for that round but I didn't want to cut into my supply of .480 brass and I wanted a different headstamp so loads didn't get mixed up. I did like you and bought .475 LB to cut down for the special. I figure I'm pretty much set for awhile

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 37