My 480

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have had this since early 2016 and hope now to get out and shoot it a bit more. I've only shot home cast Lee 325 gr and 400 gr. Powder coated bullets through it.

Attachments

• 20231106_102050.jpg
    20231106_102050.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 93

dad45

Single-Sixer
Looks like you changed the grip frame and hammer out ? I thought these were only offered in a Bisley

xtratoy

Buckeye
Yes Sir. Me and the Bisley grip frame just isn't a match. I had previously performed a Huntington grip mod on the Bisley grip frame and while it was an improvement, my knuckle was still to close to the trigger guard. Besides that, I personally have never been a fan of the Bisley look. I much prefer the plow handle in function and looks. The grip frame is a Super Blackhawk Hunter and I also replaced the hammer and trigger. Now I have a very nice trigger pull of 2 lb 4 oz. And about twice the clearance between my knuckle and the trigger guard.

dad45

Single-Sixer
I love everything 480 and do like the Bisley myself, great thing is you were able to make it the way you like it!!
Great gun you have!!
I just recently had DougGuy ream that steep shoulder out of the chamber on one of mine so looking foreword to that

xtratoy

Buckeye
I haven't seen the need for that so far on my gun. The throats are good too so the cylinder didn't need to be reamed either. I have fixed all my Ruger 45 cal throats reaming them to .4525". I got lucky on the 480 cylinder.

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
Yes Sir. Me and the Bisley grip frame just isn't a match. I had previously performed a Huntington grip mod on the Bisley grip frame and while it was an improvement, my knuckle was still to close to the trigger guard. Besides that, I personally have never been a fan of the Bisley look. I much prefer the plow handle in function and looks. The grip frame is a Super Blackhawk Hunter and I also replaced the hammer and trigger. Now I have a very nice trigger pull of 2 lb 4 oz. And about twice the clearance between my knuckle and the trigger guard.
I heartily agree !
I also had Jack Huntington perform his grip mod on my Bisley 480 but it still bit my knuckle EVERY TIME ! I even went back and had him relieve that area as much as he dared and it STILL bites me !
I will have to change out the grip and frame like you did. People always seem to cuss the Dragoon Frame on the older Super Blackhawks but my .44 Mag has NEVER bit my knuckle even with Buffalo Bore Heavy loads.
Bottom gun in picture .480 Bisley. Top gun in picture .475 JRH Special built on mid-size frame Blackhawk with old style Dragoon frame (that does NOT bite me)

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 61

contender

Ruger Guru
Everybody has different hand shapes,, and often, different methods of HOW they grip a handgun. It has to fit your hand to be able to enjoy it.

The 480 came along,, and I thought; "I don't need one of those." Yet,, a SRH came my way cheaply,, and it moved in with me. Boy,, was I surprised at how sweet it was. When the Bisley Super came out,, I couldn't buy one fast enough. Still don't NEED it,, but I do ENJOY it.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Everybody has different hand shapes,, and often, different methods of HOW they grip a handgun. It has to fit your hand to be able to enjoy it.

<<SNIP<<
Spot on. My hands are on the small side but the plow grip forced my pinkie off of the bottom of the grip frame.

Xtratoy, I too use the 325 and 500 grain Lee PC bullets, I like them a lot and it's casting season here! Woo Hoo!

Anyway, my 4 1/2" SBH .480 has the "correct" grip (Bisley for me) and I was fortunate to find it. After shooting it I found that like the .480 enough that I even considered getting rid of my .44 and 41's :)then I snapped out of it.

Over time whatever Ruger SA's I already owned or acquired had or got a Bisley, Birdshead, or Dragoon grip.

Latest posts