480 Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HW11

Single-Sixer
I have never owned a handgun larger than a 44 mag and really shoot one of my 44 specials most of the time. I have been thinking about getting a big pistol for a while now. I saw the new 4 5/8 Blackhawk in 480 Ruger on the Lipsey's site the other day and really liked it. I started thinking about the usefulness of the 480 round and wondered why there was never much talk about it here. It is absolutely a case of want not need for a caliber that large in my case but one can never have enough things to entertain ones self. The largest thing here in VA where I live is a whitetail deer and the average weight for one of them is about 130 lbs. I shoot through them long ways with a hot 44 special.
For those who shoot and reload the 480 would you say it would be a good start for a big bore gun or would you recommend something else?

Keith

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't know where you were looking,, but the 480 has been discussed a lot here as a good caliber.

Now,,, I handgun hunt,, & have for a few decades or more. And we aren't that far apart,, so I understand the fact that a 480 is a bit "big" for whitetail. BUT,,,,,,,, we do have some pretty good sized bears,, and hogs are in many close places,,, so it can become a more useful caliber.
I also felt I didn't "need" a 480,, and yet,,, several years ago,,, I got the SRH in .480. I found it pleasant to shoot,,, and very accurate. My FA 454 delivers a much sharper recoil. So,, when the Bisley SBH became available,, I got the first one I could. So,, for a "first" big bore,,, yes,, the 480 is a good place to start.

The 480 is a fine caliber for hunting. I had one but sold it only because I have a lot of 44's and decided to stick with one caliber.

I found the recoil to be about the same as the 44, maybe being a bit more. I had it in the Super Redhawk. To me it was less recoil than both of the 629 Smiths I had.

I'd say go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

wizzard

Bearcat
I love mine. I have one in a SRH as well as a 44 mag. To me, the recoil of the 44 is snappier, while the .480 is slower but slightly longer. Of course, that will vary with different loads and I've only been able to get my hands on Hornady ammo for the .480.

terryjulie

Bearcat
I got all excited and bought one when the SBH came out. It's a big boom!... and frankly a bit beyond my aging wrists. I shot loads only up to a 350 around 1100, recoil is slower, but power is more than I will ever need. Going to the Wakmamacher show in Tulsa morning to try to deal it away. Got about 200 rounds thru it( dies, cases included). Well built, with a fairly crisp trigger.

pruger45

Blackhawk
I traded for one in January of this year and I really like it! With a 400 grain cast bullet and 18 grains of 2400 the recoil is like a 44 mag. I like mine a lot!

HW11

Single-Sixer
Contender I did not do a search here. I usually look at the revolver section and the reloading and ammo section here to see what most people are working with at the given time. Im sure if I had dug a little I would have come up with something.
Your game shooting being about like mine do you shoot full power loads or do you cut back to 900 to 1000 fps range and just let bullet weight do the work? I would not think a bear could stand many 400 gr bullets running 900 fps.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've killed a lot of my deer & such with a T/C Contender. But when I load my revolvers,,, I look for a load in the 1000-1100 fps range,,, that are accurate. I'd have to look at my notes,,, but I know my 400 grn slugs in my 480 aren't too hot,,, but I'm sure if I hit a bear with one,,, he isn't going anywhere,,, except the meat pole. You are correct in the concept of heavy slugs, moderate speed, and if the cast slug is matched to the gun,,, a wide meplate will not allow even our coastal 600+ lb bears to go anywhere. For deer,,, a guaranteed entry & exit hole,,, even with bad hits.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
"...would you say it would be a good start for a big bore gun..."

I don't shoot or load for one but I know it is a lot more 'friendly' than a 454 Casull, 460 S&W Magnum or a 500 S&W Magnum.

HW11

Single-Sixer
Yea the only thing close to 600 pounds around here are a few of the girls that work at the Tastee Freeze. A 400 pound bear would be considered huge around here.

5of7

Hunter
I have 2 480s. A super RH with a 7-1/2" bbl and an Alaskan. I shoot a handload featuring a 365 Gr. lead flat point bullet and 21 grs of 2400. This load produces 1276 fps in the 7-1/2 inch gun and 1033 fps in the Alaskan.

Recoil is robust, but manageable. The secret to shooting a handgun with considerable recoil is this; don't fight the gun by trying too hard to keep it down. Instead, just let the gun rise up during recoil and as long as it doesn't hit the bill of your hat, it is not a problem.

I am now 80 years old. I weigh 160 lbs and am only 5"8" tall with a medium bone structure.....if I can do it, anybody can. 8)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
"...would you say it would be a good start for a big bore gun..."

I don't shoot or load for one but I know it is a lot more 'friendly' than a 454 Casull, 460 S&W Magnum or a 500 S&W Magnum.

A LOT MORE friendly to your wrist and joints!!! I've had a 480 SRH for more than 15 years and have sold every 454C and 500S&W I've owned. The 480 is to me, more like a hot 45 Colt in a Blackhawk. It is also the only handgun round I've used which literally dropped a big deer in it's shadow. YMMV.

A hot, well-practiced 44RM may kill just as dead, but the 480R simply outclasses any 44Mag I've ever fired on a living animal IRL. Wish Ruger saw fit to make their 96/series in their namesake cartridge... But there aren't any Rugers at Ruger anymore? :oops: :oops:

Buy a 480 Ruger !

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Son't think they make the SRH in 480 anymore, but looked for years and finally found one used.

IMG_1332_zps6c5c29b4.jpg

I did the into the woods here in Virginia, but didn't see anything that day. I feel very comfortable with it in the woods. Enjoy!!!

dougader

Hunter
They still make the SRH in 480, it's just not in Target Grey anymore. I picked up the new brushed stainless 7-1/2" last year at CDNN for about $679-$699 IIRC. It's a great gun, and a great caliber. I shoot a 395 grain lhp at about 1050-1100 fps with Blue Dot. Recoil is very manageable and the round will kill any game that lives in the Pacific NW.