454 Alaskan moon clipped for 45 ACP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HiVel

Bearcat
does the cutting for the 45 ACP moon clips require you to use moonclips for the other two calibers too??? That would not be good but I cant see how that would work-course I am not very smart =somebody explain that to me.
I have an Alaskan in 454/45 colt so maybe??

HiVel

Bearcat
thanks -will prob send off my Ruger Alaskan and maybe my
Smith 45 Colt Mtn Gun..should be fun.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I will answer for him. No, 45 Auto Rim will not work with the conversion done in this manner.

The 45 AR headspaces off the rim exactly like a 45 Colt does. The Rim thickness is much greater on 45AR (45AR .090 / 45 Colt 0.60), so it will not work.
As you can see looking at the rear of the cylinder in the pictures on the attacked link above the conversion done in this manner leaves the outer edge of the cylinder uncut. This uncut area is what lets the 45 Colt still head space correctly to work after the modification.

To be able to use 45AR brass you would need to cut the entire cylinder down. This allows 45AR, but then 45 Colt will not work.

I would way rather have the option of using 45 Colt and 45 ACP, rather than 45AR and 45acp.

Another option not mentioned, considering the cylinder is already cut for 45 Colt from the factory, It should also chamber 460 Rolland in Moon Clips. The 460 Rolland is just a hair longer than 45 acp.

I would also have to get a sample of 45 Win Mag brass and check it for length as well. Again basicly a long 45 acp case that is heavy duty.
EDIT The next best thing, I checked my Hornady Manual. Looks like the 45 Win Mag case should work fine. I would probably not use 45 Win Mag reloading data that is hotter than Ruger 45 Colt Data though.

Differences in Brass:
45 acp Thin Brass
45 acp +P Heavier Brass
45 Super Heaviest (Same size as 45acp only made from 45 Win Mag stock.
460 Rolland Same heavy brass as 45 win Mag only a little longer length than 45 acp.
45 Win Mag Big Daddy Case.

Lots of options with a Super Duty Ruger, and a reloader.

Bob

Rick R

Bearcat
.45 Colt, .45acp AND .45 Win Mag! That would make a for a very interesting pistol. Even with some required moderation in loading the .45 Win Mag it would be a most formidable gun with given ability to reload using the moon clips.

I recently sold off a S&W 325NG due to some issues I didn't like, this would make a great replacement.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
Say, I have a question too.

Does the 45 ACP cartridges stay tight in the moon clips, say if you had them in your coat pocket? Like speed loaders?

Corbi

Rick R

Bearcat
Corbi,

Yes the cartridges stay put in the metal moon clips, in fact it helps to have a tool to remove them once they've been fired. I've heard that it's possible to bend the clips and that bent clips can cause the cylinder to bind but I never had that happen.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
It would probably be better to carry the moon clipped ammunition in a pouch or California Competition moon clip carrier. However I have carried extra 10MM moon clipped ammunition in my Uniform Jacket pocket's for years during the winter months. The rounds are normally in the metal clips fairly tightly with a 45 acp.

I would recommend a Moon Clip Loading Tool also. The tool will pretty much prevent bending the clips when loading. App $40 will also remove the cases.
http://mooncliptool.com/

Not sure if Rimz makes a plastic moon clip what will work with the Ruger conversion. The Rimz Moon Clips are not secure enough for pocket carry. Handy for range use however.

After putting the thinking cap on about this conversion, I may need to start my search for an economical 45 Colt RedHawk with a 4" barrel to have converted to 45 acp/460 Rolland/45 Win Mag/45 Colt. What a combination of optional ammunition.

Bob

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
Bob R said:
Not sure if Rimz makes a plastic moon clip what will work with the Ruger conversion.
Bob

They do. Pics in above link.
There are two models, use the one for the later 625's, it has a smaller outer diameter, so no trimming is required.
And as mentioned in my link I would not recommend either model for serious use, limit them to range use only. The metal clips are the only way to go for carrying.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
Bob R said:
It would probably be better to carry the moon clipped ammunition in a pouch or California Competition moon clip carrier. However I have carried extra 10MM moon clipped ammunition in my Uniform Jacket pocket's for years during the winter months. The rounds are normally in the metal clips fairly tightly with a 45 acp.

I would recommend a Moon Clip Loading Tool also. The tool will pretty much prevent bending the clips when loading. App $40 will also remove the cases.
http://mooncliptool.com/

Not sure if Rimz makes a plastic moon clip what will work with the Ruger conversion. The Rimz Moon Clips are not secure enough for pocket carry. Handy for range use however.

After putting the thinking cap on about this conversion, I may need to start my search for an economical 45 Colt RedHawk with a 4" barrel to have converted to 45 acp/460 Rolland/45 Win Mag/45 Colt. What a combination of optional ammunition.

Bob

Thanks for the replies.

Yes Bob, these guys are probably going to cost me a bunch of money. I really like the idea of a Redhawk that shoots 45ACP!!

Of course for free I can always shoot reduced loads through my 44 mag. :(

Corbi

Tommy F

Single-Sixer
HKS large speedloader cases will hold 2-45 ACP moons in each pouch, a great way to carry ammo. Steel clips are very secure and don't bend in speedloader pouches. I need a Redhawk/Super to modify also.