45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack black

Blackhawk
I ran 25 rounds of 45 Colt that I reloaded today 255 swc keith design ,Starline brass ,Winchester large pistol primer and 8.7 grains of Unique. Gun was a ruger Vaquero 4 5/8 I got 945 average does this seem right I checked my scale and it is right on. Brass is new. Chrono. was also checked.

Rclark

Hunter
Sounds reasonable (in the ball park) to me. Up here, my tests for 255 SWC with 8.5g Unique and CCI-300 primer. I got 977fps out of 5 1/2" barrel.

George

Blackhawk
Hey my first loads for my medium frame flat top 45 Colt were unique same style bullet same weight I made two batches one batch 8 grains unique the other batch 9 Grange unique. 8 grains seemed to light for my liking 9 grains was very accurate indeed. It being a mid frame gun I don't dare go up over 9 grains The Recoil was mild. Then again I'm not recoil sensitive to most loads. So it's hard for me to judge. Anything in between the two I would consider very safe in my opinion 8.5 being right in the middle. The manual I was using was Lee and this is from memory but I believe the max load was 9.3 grains of unique. Some say for a medium frame gun 9 grain is getting a bit heavy! Accuracy was there no signs of overpressure anyway with 9 grains of unique. Stay safe! George

jack black

Blackhawk
George said:
Hey my first loads for my medium frame flat top 45 Colt were unique same style bullet same weight I made two batches one batch 8 grains unique the other batch 9 Grange unique. 8 grains seemed to light for my liking 9 grains was very accurate indeed. It being a mid frame gun I don't dare go up over 9 grains The Recoil was mild. Then again I'm not recoil sensitive to most loads. So it's hard for me to judge. Anything in between the two I would consider very safe in my opinion 8.5 being right in the middle. The manual I was using was Lee and this is from memory but I believe the max load was 9.3 grains of unique. Some say for a medium frame gun 9 grain is getting a bit heavy! Accuracy was there no signs of overpressure anyway with 9 grains of unique. Stay safe! George
Thanks for the input

Latest posts