45 Colt NM Blackhawk, 7.5", would Ruger install 45 ACP cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
I had noticed that from time to time pops up for sale 45 Colt NM Blackhawk, blue, with 45 ACP cylinder, shipped as a convertible from a factory.

Now, Ruger lists just revolvers with 4.62" and 5.5" barrels as 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible.

Would Ruger install today 45 ACP cylinder on 45 Colt NMBH, blue, with 7.5" barrel?

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
You can on occasion find the ACP cylinder being sold. As long as the overall length is at least as long as your cylinder, it should and often times pops right in. Might have to take a bit off the front bushing, but that is easy.

I have done this twice with good results. Others may have had different outcomes, I can only speak to my experience.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I have an OM. 7.5". .45 convertible. The .45 Auto feels soft, after shooting 20 grains of 2400 and a 250 XTP. That .45 Auto would be fine in a Birdshead grip. Short barrel.

3manfan

Single-Sixer
If Ruger turns you down give Gary Reeder in Flagstaff a call. In 2015 he made me an un-fluted .45 Colt cylinder from scratch while performing action work on my N.M. Blackhawk. I want to say the cylinder & the timing job was around $250 but I'm not positive. I have no idea what his turn around time may be currently, 2015 is the last time I had any work done by him. He does top notch work.

bpimwheel

Bearcat
My experience is...
Called about the same thing. Getting a 45 ACP cylinder for my 45 Colt. The lady (CS) said the only way was if the gun left the factory as a convertable 45 Colt/45 ACP. I even offered to just purchase a 45 ACP cylinder and she said they could not sell them, only install them during some gun work. They will now only make a gun back to its original configuration as it left the factory, no custom work. I suppose because they are short handed. Seems no one wants to work.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I was given a NMBH in 9mm for my wife's truck gun. I found a 357 cylinder at a gun show for 25 bucks.. Had to file a bit off. Went in lined up...works fine. Probably needs a little more off as B/C gap is tight when dirty. got momma a 45 C combo and she likes it better than the 357/9mm . Both are short bbls. I have fitted 3 22mag cups not really hard. Think I have 5 new cyls for Colt 22s in the stash of parts...lots Colt parts

Onty

Single-Sixer
My experience is...
Called about the same thing. Getting a 45 ACP cylinder for my 45 Colt. The lady (CS) said the only way was if the gun left the factory as a convertable 45 Colt/45 ACP. I even offered to just purchase a 45 ACP cylinder and she said they could not sell them, only install them during some gun work. They will now only make a gun back to its original configuration as it left the factory, no custom work. I suppose because they are short handed. Seems no one wants to work.

Thank you Sir! First hand experience is what I prefer to hear.

As a kid, I learned from older folks two important things; 1. There is no stupid question, and 2. To be patient and listen, I will certainly get more useful information than I was expecting. This is exactly what happened here. And that is the reason why I like forums like this. Thank you all!

Or just load down .45 Colt to .45 Auto levels. Nothing wrong with the o' .45 Colt cartridge :) .... From mild to wild. all bases covered.

Well, beauty of having convertible is that I can shoot 45 ACP. Also, while making brass for 455 Webley Mk I (longer version) I have still bunch of 45 Cowboy Special cases. According to many, 45 AR is one of the most accurate rounds in revolver. So, since 45 Cowboy Special brass is basically 45 AR with 45 Colt rim, I can have the best of both versions; for target shooting short 45 ACP and 45 CS cases, and for a real punch 45 Colt, using enlarged, .454" version of 44 H&G #503, about 290 grains:

45-503-SWC.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts