45 Cal. Blackhawk Muzzleloader

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
I was just thinking if you can put a 45 cal. conversion cylinder into a Ruger Old Army why couldn't a conversion cylinder be made to put a muzzleloader cylinder into a 45 Cal Blackhawk. I'd buy one right now. I know their would be no loading lever but the cylinder could be loaded by hand with one of those lever devices. Any thoughts ThomTender

Enigma

Hunter
Just my personal opinion - if someone even thought that a market existed for something like that, it would be available. Assuming that they could overcome the technical difficulties.

NikA

Buckeye
I think the most complicated item would be the ignition. The ROA is based on a percussion cap system and there are 209 adapter nipples available for it. What ignition system would you propose for a BH conversion cylinder? The firing pin is at the wrong location and angle for percussion caps; 209 primers might be possible. Given the amount of work that goes into converting ROAs to metallic cartridge guns, I don't see much of a market for it.

contender

Ruger Guru
As mentioned,,, the mechanical difficulties combined with the LOW demand for such an idea would keep it from being a commercial offering. A custom route,,, possible.

But if you want to use BP in a Blackhawk,,, just do as thousands of SASS shooters do & load BP in the cases & shoot away!

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
No my reason was to use the Blackhawk that I have during a Muzzleloader season w/o buying another gun. Since I have the Blackhawk already. I guess the answer then is to go the other way, Buy a Ruger Old Army and the conversion cylinder and sell my 45 Blackhawk that I bought new in 1973. Have owned that revolver a lot of years, Has taken 2 deer and 3 hogs. Would be very sorry to see it go

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
No not really, Was just on GB looking at the R.O.A.'s Just getting a little top heavy, 5 Ruger #1's, 4 other Ruger revolver's and many other manufacturers

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
ThomTender said:
No my reason was to use the Blackhawk that I have during a Muzzleloader season w/o buying another gun. Since I have the Blackhawk already. I guess the answer then is to go the other way, Buy a Ruger Old Army and the conversion cylinder and sell my 45 Blackhawk that I bought new in 1973. Have owned that revolver a lot of years, Has taken 2 deer and 3 hogs. Would be very sorry to see it go
Just wondering. Do many people hunt with a cap and ball revolver? I imagine they are not very accurate or powerful by comparison with cartridge revolvers. :D

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
As I previously stated, Muzzleloader Season, can only use muzzleloaders. (take note), 2 weeks ago I was sitting in my treestand when several hogs browsed under me. At best 25 ft away. I am sure a 457 dia. ball thru the neck or head will suffice. I am impressed with the close range killing power of these round balls. Under the ear Shot a hog 2 weeks ago with a 50 cal Patched ball and the kill was almost instant> This was at 40+ yds. So that's why I wanted a muzzleloading revolver for hunting use. But alas back to the looking for the ROA. Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Now that you've explained your reasoning,,, I say this.
Just buy an Old Army, and go after them close hogs or deer.
As for being "Just getting a little top heavy, 5 Ruger #1's, 4 other Ruger revolver's". Well I can say you have a LONG way to go to even gain weight on many of us here. Keep that 45 Colt,, use it when you can,, and use a ROA when the season allows it. I've bought guns, bows, & crossbows JUST so I could expand my hunting.

tx gunrunner

Bearcat
ThomTender said:
Just wondering. Do many people hunt with a cap and ball revolver? I imagine they are not very accurate or powerful by comparison with cartridge revolvers. :D

My BP revolver out shoot most cartridge . These are both the 1st time I shot these guns and they are not cherry pick targets .

Kanook

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
The closest Buck was 120yds, so I didn't get to unholster it this year.

Latest posts