.44 Specials

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
Colleagues can anyone provide an estimate of the original MSRP for these two Ruger revolvers:

Ruger Bisley grip catalogue# NVB445-Spcl. S/N#520-232XX. 44 Spec'l. Flat Top Blackhawk small frame. One of a special run made for and distributed by Lipsey's 5.5" barrel, blued.

Ruger Blackhawk catalogue# NVB445-Spcl, s/n #520-190XX. 44 Spec'l. Regular grip Flat Top Blackhawk, small frame. One of a special run made for and distributed by Lipsey's. 5.5" barrel, blued.

I bought both in 2008-2009 "on a whim." Both are unfired, with box and Ruger paperwork. Getting so that age and medical infirmaries are causing me to curtail my shooting. I've been offered US $350-425 each, but that seems a low price. And they were not listed on the Ruger site when I did an on-line catalogue search.

Thanks for any help.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
That does seem awfully low. I paid $500 back in 2013 for my 5.5" Bisley Flattop .44 SPL; it was lightly used with perhaps fifty rounds through it before the original owner decided he'd rather have a Glock. Box, papers, all there. A brand new one would have been perhaps $75 higher at the time (that was while I was still living in the KC metro).

I've added another hundred or so to the round count, but it still looks brand new. Would love to trade it for a standard grip .44 SPL flattop with the 4 5/8" barrel length, but I suspect one of those in similar condition to mine would require me to throw in at least a couple hundred dollars along with it . . . Like you said, they aren't being made any more.

My other 5.5" .44 SPL flattop (standard grip) came from the original Lipsey's run, and it was $500 NIB from the same dealer. That was a couple of years before the Bisleys came out, though, and $500 was the going rate. I think my Bisley version was also from the first Lipsey's run of those, but I'm not sure.

Rclark

Hunter
If I was buying (I like .44 Special), $700-$800 would be tempting, $600 (each) I'd snap 'em up. Anything above that would be in the PT Barnum category. My 2 cents worth... BTW, all .44 Specials are on the 'medium' frame. The small frame is the Single Six frame. Know what you mean though :) .

I already have my pair and are shooters, not safe queens. Although the plow handle .44 gets out a lot more often.

Attachments

• 44SpecialRevolversFlattops_800.jpg
    44SpecialRevolversFlattops_800.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
RClark thanks for your thoughts. I had a rough idea of about US $650 - 700.00 but wasn't sure if I was delusional or in the ballpark price range.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
If I was buying (I like .44 Special), $700-$800 would be tempting, $600 (each) I'd snap 'em up. Anything above that would be in the PT Barnum category. My 2 cents worth... BTW, all .44 Specials are on the 'medium' frame. The small frame is the Single Six frame. Know what you mean though :) .

I already have my pair and are shooters, not safe queens. Although the plow handle .44 gets out a lot more often.
My plow-handled Lipsey's flattop 5.5" .44 SPL is my favorite revolver. I wouldn't mind selling or trading the Bisley - eight hundred bucks? Seriously? - but I'm not getting rid of that one. And my flattop 50th .357 is second on the list.

Actually, now that I think about it, I paid $500 each for all three of my flattops, although only the Bisley was bought used.

Rclark

Hunter
My plow-handled Lipsey's flattop 5.5" .44 SPL is my favorite revolver.
:) . The three revolvers that I shoot the most are the medium frame flattops, .357, .44 Special, and .45 Colt. All blued, all 5 1/2", all tuned the same, and same grip style. Doesn't get any better. No how! Most of my other adjustable sighed revolvers are gathering dust. Because of that, I really don't have any desire to buy anything else (a good thing with the prices today for revolvers)... Of course a .45 Colt New Vaquero (tuned as well) and Cimarron .45 Colt Model P pick up the slack on the fixed sight front. Again all 5 1/2" barrels.

Mine too were in the $400-$550 range if I remember right.

Attachments

• flattopFamilyFavorites2021_800_3.jpg
    flattopFamilyFavorites2021_800_3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 73

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I've been keeping an eye on 44 Special Blackhawks and Vaqueros on Gunbroker for about 4 years. Prices have skyrocketed since the pandemic.

I bought my first the Talo stainless Blackhawk in about December of 2019 for around $475. Now those are selling for $800-1000, a few have gone for over $1000 but not often.

If they really are NIB I'd put them on Gunbroker with starting bids of $700 with a Buy it Now option of $1000. Someone may just bite for the Buy it Now.

Most of the 44 Special Rugers listed at $1200 or above have been sitting there for months on end.

Priced right and your Blackhawks will sell quick. Anything less than $700 it had better have been sold to a friend.

Latest posts